PDA

View Full Version : Stunties!!!!!

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 04:33 AM
Oh yes. The pics are emerging....

via Clan Khorvaak (https://clankhorvaak.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/upcoming-fyreslayers-information-round-2-english-warscrolls-pricing-more-pics/) 1-6-2015

More Fyreslayer Units & Rules

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 04:37 AM
via Scanner, Spikeybits Forum (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?29067-Dwarf-Magmadroth&p=236382&viewfull=1#post236382), 1-11-2016

16907 16908
16909 16910
16911 16912
16913 16914
16915 16916

-------------------- Original Post Below ------------------------

yeah, really liking these. wonder if they will be releasing any non-slayer dwarfs any time soon

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 04:38 AM
via Scanner (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?29289-WD-104-Duardin-Warscrolls) 1-18-2016

16938 16939
16940 16941

--------------------------Original Post Below------------------------

Steam head Stunties will be out in time.

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 04:43 AM
when the iron drakes came out with the big guns I wanted to do a shooty dwarf army, now I see slayers with guns I want to do it even more.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 04:45 AM
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kw36ksfEcB1qaginqo1_500.jpg

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 04:54 AM
umm...

yes...

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 05:20 AM
At f**king last, was wondering when we'd see these.

Nice, the giant reptile riders are especially cool and if it's the same kit (prolly is) then the reptile mount itself looks more poseable than other mounts which is a good thing. Def seems like I was right about the Durardin being split, the "steamhead" ones will likely be their own faction as MrMystery said I reckon. I like the infantry too but as usual I dislike the way GW painted them. Think they'd look better with red or bronze skin personally.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 05:23 AM
Much excite over these on the FB group.

But I must resist. Got far, far too much on my plate at the moment as it is!

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 05:24 AM
when the iron drakes came out with the big guns I wanted to do a shooty dwarf army, now I see slayers with guns I want to do it even more.

Yeah, those guns look really awesome imo

Much excite over these on the FB group.

But I must resist. Got far, far too much on my plate at the moment as it is!

I try very hard to "paint what I got" but then something always seems to come out that tempts me back in. Ol Karl would be ashamed of me :'(

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 05:58 AM

Path Walker
01-04-2016, 05:58 AM
These with dark, earthy skin tones and really bright hair would look awesome. Bah and I just bought all those half price seraphon!

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 05:59 AM
Wow!

The more I see, the more I like.

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 06:02 AM
yeah definitely.

I saw some complaints on Facebook that you can't have slayers riding monsters, but it is good to see the dwarfs getting a nice big centre piece. plus they aren't old style slayers, they are thousands of years later in a new world. even then, you can reasonably say that slayers kill dangerous monsters, and if they have tamed these sufficiently, then there isn't really anything to be gained from killing them. slayers don't seek glorious deaths against cows after all.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 06:03 AM
Am a bit tempted i must admit, but I just started a horus heresy army and I still have 2 AoS armies to finish so ill probably pass until they are done but these guys do look great!

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 06:10 AM
seeing these now makes me feel that Age of Sigmar armies will have a much tighter focus than warhammer armies. if you look at the releases so far, Eternals, Khorne, Slayers, even the re-released Sylvaneth, they are all small numbers of units, all strong visual link. very different to the 'bit of everything' Warhammer armies we are used to seeing. it is a good solution to the high model count/price criticisms of Warhammer.

Path Walker
01-04-2016, 06:10 AM
Its hard to resist the "new" and remember that these will still be available next year!

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 06:12 AM
True that.

I'm really hoping that we see lots more AoS this year, if only to shut the trolls up. If such a thing is possible.

Path Walker
01-04-2016, 06:14 AM
seeing these now makes me feel that Age of Sigmar armies will have a much tighter focus than warhammer armies. if you look at the releases so far, Eternals, Khorne, Slayers, even the re-released Sylvaneth, they are all small numbers of units, all strong visual link. very different to the 'bit of everything' Warhammer armies we are used to seeing. it is a good solution to the high model count/price criticisms of Warhammer.

Definitely, while its possible (and fun) to have huge battles in AoS, the tighter focus of the armies and the fact that each, so far, is a handful of units meaning you can realistically own and paint everything, really seem to encourage smaller games.

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 06:14 AM
I am sure we will. I hope it is nicely spaced out though, a few solid months of it got a little boring for me, and the eternals didn't grab me.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Moar stunties,

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 06:28 AM
in WHF I only ever liked tomb kings - so far in AoS I am liking Sylvaneth, Stormcasts and am liking these Fyreslayers too. Look forward to seeing the Death and Destruction forces get some love as it's all been Order and Chaos so far. If the Malignants are all spectral/ghosts (as hinted at with that start collecting set) I will be tempted by them too.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Not massively keen on the Priest type dude. The face just isn't sitting right for me.

Easily fixed though. Just paint it metallic.

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 06:35 AM
the face does look like a human pretending to be a dwarf.

I want to see how the arms attach, because I don't much like the poses on the two axe guys, they aren't fighting poses at all.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Moar stunties,

The proportions seem to look a lot better on these, especially with the head size ect.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 06:47 AM
I now see what's bugging me about the Priest dude.....

No moustache.

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 06:48 AM

No moustache.

nothing gets past you :p

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 06:48 AM
Shut your noise, you :p

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 06:52 AM

No moustache.

Maybe that is why he is frowning? If all my friends had mustaches and I didn't I might feel a bit left out too.

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 07:01 AM
he looks like a Discworld character to me.

Cutter
01-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Possibly meant to evoke nostalgic thoughts of

ends up coming off more like

The dressing room must be bedlam before a big fight, trying to stuff all that hair up through those 'helmets'...

eldargal
01-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Nice to see GW do a 50/50 gender split in a WFB army, hehe.

They do look nice. Don't have a problem with slayers riding critters if it lets them go and kill bigger critters.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 09:04 AM
The hair appears to be part of the helmet, so quite likely they're all Baldylocks underneath.

Cutter
01-04-2016, 09:40 AM
The hair appears to be part of the helmet, so quite likely they're all Baldylocks underneath.

I guess we'll have to wait for the battle tomb to drop and hope for more revealing artwork, but at the moment everyone's hair/helmet matches their beard.

I'd be prepared to buy 'but everything's ginger' if it wasn't for this,

Collar and cuffs so to speak, collar and cuffs.

Erik Setzer
01-04-2016, 10:01 AM
it is a good solution to the high model count/price criticisms of Warhammer.

Now it's just lowish model count/high price... so doesn't answer the criticisms that well. (Especially as they could have fixed both problems while keeping the old system.)

- - - Updated - - -

That's my biggest issue with them so far (and some of the "dynamic" posing looks a bit off... and the monsters, but more on that in a moment). Rather than the old crazy hair styles, now it's all just crests on a helm. Which, coupled with the skirts, gives them a 300 look that feels a bit odd for Dwarfs.

As to the monsters... They might not be bad, if they'd been sculpted by a person. CAD might save them time and money, but once again there's not enough fine detail, it's all too sharp around the edges (which is made so much worse by the painting team, who by now should have their hands bound behind their backs permanently for crimes against sensible painting), and it feels like they throw unnecessary stuff onto kits just to claim they're "more detailed." Fewer needless horns and fluff and more individual scales. Oh, what's that? A computer can't handle the scales but can throw on more big useless junk? Well, turn off the computer and pick up some green stuff and a frame. Oh, that might cost you a few dollars more? Well, you claim to make the best miniatures around, maybe you should actually put some bloody effort into them rather than relying on technology that can't match what a human hand can do yet!

*Sigh.* Deep breathing. Deep breathing.

I know, people like them. And the chunky chains that don't look like chains, and the noisy Chaos models, and the chunky skirts on the Dwarfs that look like they're wearing thick blocks of concrete rather than cloth or leather, and all of the other stuff these days. But I have higher standards, especially from a company that claims they make the best stuff around and should charge the highest prices for it, even while they put in as little effort and money as possible.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 11:19 AM
CAD might save them time and money, but once again there's not enough fine detail, it's all too sharp around the edges (which is made so much worse by the painting team, who by now should have their hands bound behind their backs permanently for crimes against sensible painting), and it feels like they throw unnecessary stuff onto kits just to claim they're "more detailed." Fewer needless horns and fluff and more individual scales. Oh, what's that? A computer can't handle the scales but can throw on more big useless junk? Well, turn off the computer and pick up some green stuff and a frame. Oh, that might cost you a few dollars more? Well, you claim to make the best miniatures around, maybe you should actually put some bloody effort into them rather than relying on technology that can't match what a human hand can do yet!

This is a fair point on the detail, CAD isn't actually that detailed really in that aspect. Nearly all CAD-made stuff tends to lack textures. Plenty of details but the lack of texture can make things look very artificial at times. Not always, but sometimes and this isn't a criticism of GW's stuff alone either. I also agree that the overly sharp details of CAD-stuff can make organic stuff look especially bad. I tend to prefer CAD stuff for vehicles, armour ect and prefer trad-sculpting for organic stuff as the slightly softer details and imperfection lead to more realism. Then again as a trad-sculptor I might just be bias...

Brother Glacius
01-04-2016, 11:22 AM
UGH, GW isn't even trying anymore. These guys look ridiculous. Bare feet? moronic. why in the world would the slayer culture still exist? Designed by a thirteen year old.

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 11:25 AM

yeah, don't you just hate that when they totally change something and make it stupid just because they did it the same way twenty five years ago?

this new style is rubbish and childish and we must all belittle it because Age of Sigmar is awful and totally different to the old stuff we love...

Path Walker
01-04-2016, 12:38 PM
UGH, GW isn't even trying anymore. These guys look ridiculous. Bare feet? moronic. why in the world would the slayer culture still exist? Designed by a thirteen year old.

It doesn't, they're not Dwarf Slayers, they're Duradin Fyreslayers, mercenaries who work for gold and are trying to reforge their god anew after he exploded while fighting the biggest fire lizard ever.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a fair point on the detail, CAD isn't actually that detailed really in that aspect. Nearly all CAD-made stuff tends to lack textures. Plenty of details but the lack of texture can make things look very artificial at times. Not always, but sometimes and this isn't a criticism of GW's stuff alone either. I also agree that the overly sharp details of CAD-stuff can make organic stuff look especially bad. I tend to prefer CAD stuff for vehicles, armour ect and prefer trad-sculpting for organic stuff as the slightly softer details and imperfection lead to more realism. Then again as a trad-sculptor I might just be bias...

Flat surfaces from CAD only happen with inexperienced sculptors, you have as much ability as ever to make surfaces textured with CAD.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Maybe iv just missed it then but iv not seen any GW or other companies CAD miniatures with heavy textures at all. on other (non miniature) stuff that is larger, yeah, but not on miniatures at all.

Wolfshade
01-04-2016, 12:51 PM
I really like these, :)

Psychosplodge
01-04-2016, 12:59 PM
Did only the slayers survive?

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Nope.

There's mention of Steamhead Duardin as well. No word when we'll get them though.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Nope.

There's mention of Steamhead Duardin as well. No word when we'll get them though.

Is there any backround on them at all? The name seems to imply a focus on the steam powered tech, like the gyocopters so that will probably be the focus of that faction.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Nothing set in stone, no.

But I'm suspecting that we might see three flavours of Stunties.

Fyreslayers, Steamhead and Clan/Vanilla.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Nothing set in stone, no.

But I'm suspecting that we might see three flavours of Stunties.

Fyreslayers, Steamhead and Clan/Vanilla.

You might very well be right on that!
I'd hope for a 4th myself, with big hats and a hard-on for assyrian/babylonian imagery.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Ah yes, the lesser spotted 'very silly indeed Duardin'

(I purely jest)

Kirsten
01-04-2016, 04:02 PM
well the helcannon is listed under Duardin on the GW page

YZK
01-05-2016, 05:18 AM
Not knowing any French, I decided to use Google Translate and logic to translate the Hearthguard Berzerkers warscroll.
I couldn't read some parts very well, but I did my best, so bear with me :)

DESCRIPTION
A unit of Hearthguard Berzekers consist of 5 or more models.
Some units wield Berzerker Broadaxes, while others wield Flamestrike Poleaxes.
Some units wield Fyresteel Throwing Axes (not sure about this sentence).

KARL
One model in the unit can be a Karl.
Add 1 to its melee damage.

ABILITIES
Duty of Death: ... Whenever this unit suffers a wound or mortal would, throw a die. On a 6 or more, that wound is ignored. Add 2 to the result if there is a HERO FYRESLAYER within 10" of this unit.

Cross-armed Incandescents: Whenever a model in this unit hits with a Flamestrike Poleaxe, throw a die. On a 3 or more, the target suffers a mortal wound after the attacks are resolved.

Erik Setzer
01-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Did only the slayers survive?

To be fair, none of them really "survived." They're new peoples... though apparently based on the old races. I still haven't seen an explanation on how that works, though there's an easy explanation they could have run with if they wanted. (The Slann create whole species, why wouldn't they be able to try to recreate the species from the world-that-was while protecting parts of said world as the "Realms?")

They can add all kinds of new Dwarfs with no connection to the old ones, because it's basically a new species (still Dwarfs, but technically new).

Just Tony
01-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Nice to see GW do a 50/50 gender split in a WFB army, hehe.

They do look nice. Don't have a problem with slayers riding critters if it lets them go and kill bigger critters.

Who's to say they didn't? According to pretty much every bit of fiction out there except for that Helga whatever model, Dwarf women look identical to Dwarf men.

Me being the Classichammer nut I am, I'd snag these if the price wasn't as insane as I'm sure they'll be.

Psychosplodge
01-05-2016, 02:26 PM
To be fair, none of them really "survived." They're new peoples... though apparently based on the old races. I still haven't seen an explanation on how that works, though there's an easy explanation they could have run with if they wanted. (The Slann create whole species, why wouldn't they be able to try to recreate the species from the world-that-was while protecting parts of said world as the "Realms?")

They can add all kinds of new Dwarfs with no connection to the old ones, because it's basically a new species (still Dwarfs, but technically new).

Ah right. I've literally paid no attention to AoS beyond looking at the pretty models as apart from buying some dwarfs when they landed last time round I haven't touched fantasy for at least three editions. (despite wanting to "finish" my chaos warriors, collect some dwarves, some bretonnians, maybe one or two other odds and ends...) :D

Mr Mystery
01-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Wonder if we'll finally see the long rumoured Stunty Steam Golem when the Steamheads show their face?

I'm not a big fan of Steampunk though, so I reserve the right to be totes 'meh'

Bigred
01-06-2016, 12:01 PM
via Clan Khorvaak (https://clankhorvaak.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/upcoming-fyreslayers-information-round-2-english-warscrolls-pricing-more-pics/) 1-6-2015

More Fyreslayer Units & Rules

Mr Mystery
01-06-2016, 03:17 PM
So that's Battlesmiths, Runesmiters and Grimwrath Berzerkers to go?

If I'm reading it right.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-06-2016, 03:46 PM
So that's Battlesmiths, Runesmiters and Grimwrath Berzerkers to go?

If I'm reading it right.

Auric Runesmiths and Auric Runefather too.

Mr Mystery
01-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Aye, those too!

Mr Mystery
01-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Another audiobook.....that'll be me two behind!

AdamHarry
01-11-2016, 10:01 AM
via Scanner, Spikeybits Forum (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?29067-Dwarf-Magmadroth&p=236382&viewfull=1#post236382), 1-11-2016

16907 16908
16909 16910
16911 16912
16913 16914
16915 16916

Erik Setzer
01-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Runeson looks good. Runefather would be good if not for that ridiculous weapon. That weapon is just so insanely stupid. Too long and unwieldy, he has to swing it at a low arc and can't swing it overhead because it's so long. But swinging from the side might not get good leverage with its length, either. Someone thought "this would look cool" and once against made something obnoxiously stupid. It kind of works on the mounted guy, because he's high up, and it gives him reach to hit a guy on the ground, but the guy on foot... meh.

Not sure what's going on with the Runesmiter. At first I was like, "Yeah, he looks cool." Then I wondered what the deal was with the horn-like things that look out of place. And something feels wrong with his legs and body. That beard, too... is that supposed to be a beard? Looks more like he attached some stuff to his metal pseudo-stache-and-beard, and painted that stuff orange. Okay, and yeah, what is up with that metal facial hair thing? Is that a guard for his facial hair?

Why do the axes have designs cut out of them, making them less effective?

Big lizard creatures look cool. That said, they're showing off some of the limitations of the current computer design process. The inside of the mouths look "off." The decision to attach their teeth to the outside of their mouth is also... it's just stupid. I'm sorry, overall I like the way these guys look (but again, do remember that I like a lot of Mantic's stuff, so I can overlook flaws), but that with the teeth is just another stupid attempt to look "cool." Teeth are bones, they attach to jaw bones. The design suggests these guys don't have an exoskeleton but rather an internal skeleton, and those are scales rather than bones on the face. Which makes sense. So why are the teeth on the outside? I can't find a lizard or dinosaur that looks like that.

Now I feel bad... I wanted to like these, initially did, but then looked for more than a second and realized how many stupid decisions they're making to try to make the models more stylized at the expense of being remotely believable. Make the weapons a more correct length, don't chop up the axes, put the teeth inside the mouth, and they look good. Look awesome! But those things just bug me too much. I could forgive the design issues because of their limitations, I could forgive them putting way too much stuff on a model to claim it's "more detailed," but these things that make no sense and don't really look "cool"... *Sigh.* Damn you, GW, for finding a way to throw water on my excitement.

- - - Updated - - -

All that said, I certainly won't tell people they're "wrong" if they like them. Some folks might not be as picky as me. It's all opinion, no "right" or "wrong."

Mr Mystery
01-11-2016, 11:51 AM
I'm liking the subtle blending of Stunty and Chaos Stunty aesthetics here.

Some of the weapons are a bit daft though. Not deal breaker daft, just a bit daft.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-11-2016, 12:03 PM
I like the big lizards and it's cool it makes six different unit types! So what is left now?

Haighus
01-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Runeson looks good. Runefather would be good if not for that ridiculous weapon. That weapon is just so insanely stupid. Too long and unwieldy, he has to swing it at a low arc and can't swing it overhead because it's so long. But swinging from the side might not get good leverage with its length, either. Someone thought "this would look cool" and once against made something obnoxiously stupid. It kind of works on the mounted guy, because he's high up, and it gives him reach to hit a guy on the ground, but the guy on foot... meh.

Not sure what's going on with the Runesmiter. At first I was like, "Yeah, he looks cool." Then I wondered what the deal was with the horn-like things that look out of place. And something feels wrong with his legs and body. That beard, too... is that supposed to be a beard? Looks more like he attached some stuff to his metal pseudo-stache-and-beard, and painted that stuff orange. Okay, and yeah, what is up with that metal facial hair thing? Is that a guard for his facial hair?

Why do the axes have designs cut out of them, making them less effective?

Big lizard creatures look cool. That said, they're showing off some of the limitations of the current computer design process. The inside of the mouths look "off." The decision to attach their teeth to the outside of their mouth is also... it's just stupid. I'm sorry, overall I like the way these guys look (but again, do remember that I like a lot of Mantic's stuff, so I can overlook flaws), but that with the teeth is just another stupid attempt to look "cool." Teeth are bones, they attach to jaw bones. The design suggests these guys don't have an exoskeleton but rather an internal skeleton, and those are scales rather than bones on the face. Which makes sense. So why are the teeth on the outside? I can't find a lizard or dinosaur that looks like that.

Now I feel bad... I wanted to like these, initially did, but then looked for more than a second and realized how many stupid decisions they're making to try to make the models more stylized at the expense of being remotely believable. Make the weapons a more correct length, don't chop up the axes, put the teeth inside the mouth, and they look good. Look awesome! But those things just bug me too much. I could forgive the design issues because of their limitations, I could forgive them putting way too much stuff on a model to claim it's "more detailed," but these things that make no sense and don't really look "cool"... *Sigh.* Damn you, GW, for finding a way to throw water on my excitement.

- - - Updated - - -

All that said, I certainly won't tell people they're "wrong" if they like them. Some folks might not be as picky as me. It's all opinion, no "right" or "wrong."

Out of all of that, perhaps surprisingly, moustache armour is a thing. Granted in a more ceremonial capacity, but it does exist.
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/schools/primaryhistory/images/worldhistory/sutton_hoo_helmet/ship_burial_helmet.jpg
Admittedly, there is no beard armour, but clearly the Anglo Saxons at the time did not have such impressive beards to protect, but wanted to maintain their fine moustaches.
The teeth to me looks like they've basically removed the lips, so the skin is continuous with the gums. I feel like I have seen something like that before. Agreed on the weapons though.

Mr Mystery
01-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Grimwrath Berzerkers are the sole remaining unit.

Seems odd that given the multiple releases this week and last to just have the one. Guess we're getting a few things non-Stunty?

Erik Setzer
01-11-2016, 01:27 PM
The helmet you're showing has an actual full face guard with a mustache just slapped on top. The Runesmiter has a small strip that comes down off the top of the helmet and had a metal 'stache and beard attached to it, nothing to protect his cheeks or around his eyes. It just looks really weird, like they were trying to stylize it and made something silly instead.

If I get one, I'll use some green stuff to fix the hole in his axe, and try to create a full helmet for him (with a closed helmet, the metal facial hair might actually look pretty cool).

Still not sure what's going on with what I assume is meant to be his actual beard?

Mr Mystery
01-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Beard Protector (established in the background amongst Smiths) or replacement (Leatherbeard from Gotrek and Felix)

Path Walker
01-11-2016, 02:00 PM
If you had a thick, bushy beard and as a Priest of your religion, your duties had you stoking fires and working a forge all day with all the sparks and embers that entails, you'd want a beard protector too.

Erik Setzer
01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Beard Protector (established in the background amongst Smiths) or replacement (Leatherbeard from Gotrek and Felix)

I mean the orange stuff going everywhere behind the beard armor. I think that's supposed to be his beard, but it looks unnatural. I think the sculptor was trying to do a little too much there. Depending on how the model is put together, that could be fixable. Just carefully carve that stuff off, and green stuff a proper beard on there.

It's possible it's also meant to be something representing flames built into the beard protector, but if so, they didn't inform the painter, who painted it as a beard. I get a "flames" vibe from it, which makes sense given that they're Fyreslayers and all, but it didn't translate to the final product.

Mr Mystery
01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
I think it's a stylistic representation of the heat of the forge behind the metal. It's radiating out in a manner reminiscent of medieval depictions of the sun's rays.

To each their own, but l kind of like it.

Overall, I'm particularly excited for the two books. Fyreslayers are the first 'new but old but new' we've seen so far.

I'm not personally counting the Bloodbound here, because Chaos will remain Chaos. But these stunted little stout hearts are our first properly new AoS army that's a reinterpretation type thing of a classic Warhammer army - arguably of just a single unit as a faction in their own right.

Design wise people's existing Slayers will sit happily enough alongside the new sculpts without standing out like a sore thumb. This to me is one of the biggest hurdle AoS faces. Can GW make it new without making the old obsolete or even just outdated.

If the answer is 'yes, yes they can' for the majority of existing players, it's going to have a much easier time growing and expanding. It's more important to the range's success than if the new models could be fielded in 8th/Fan 9th - after all, there's already 'other company equivalents' designed for ranking up, so the GW kits need to be something added specifically to play AoS. (Not sure I've explained that very well)

My opinion here is of limited worth, as whilst I like what I'm seeing I've never been a Dwarf player.

Path Walker
01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
While I really like the design of the Fyreslayer army and look forward to seeing them in the flesh and seeing such a departure from the existing Slayer stuff, a part of me wonders what will happen to the "classic" plastic clamshell Slayer, which is one of my favourite GW plastic models in recent years, hope they keep that sculpt alive because its brilliant

Mr Mystery
01-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Probs get repackaged and re-named. Maybe next week's release? Would certainly help to bulk out that week as currently it's just the Grimwrath Bersekers to go (whatever they are!)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
01-11-2016, 07:04 PM
I love Erik trying to apply real world physics and biology to a Fantasy setting where lizards are remembered into existence and lightning is a viable mode of transport. xD

Trojan66
01-12-2016, 03:25 AM
It's a very lazy release , stylistically. I was looking back at the release video of the vampire counts during 8th and what struck me was how much variety we have lost. In that release we had the black Knights, coven throne , Isobel, krull and the crypt horror kits. Now we get one figure modelled into as many different variants as possible. It's clearly a very cheap way of getting an army out there but it's a bit basic and crude for my liking.

Al Shut
01-12-2016, 03:39 AM
If I get one, I'll use some green stuff to fix the hole in his axe,

The poor guy will be locked out

Path Walker
01-12-2016, 03:41 AM
It's a very lazy release , stylistically. I was looking back at the release video of the vampire counts during 8th and what struck me was how much variety we have lost. In that release we had the black Knights, coven throne , Isobel, krull and the crypt horror kits. Now we get one figure modelled into as many different variants as possible. It's clearly a very cheap way of getting an army out there but it's a bit basic and crude for my liking.

So you think an army should be stylistically diverse and include a lot of incongruous elements that don't cleanly fit together?

Even as far back as then you can now see how they were splitting the VCs into smaller parts, with ghosts, ghouls and skeleton elements all moving away from each other.

Mr Mystery
01-12-2016, 03:42 AM

Oh don't talk rubbish.

Fyreslayers aren't all the Dwarfs out there. They're a single faction, just as Black Knights, Coven Throne and Crypt Horrors are all factions within the greater Undead horde.

Al Shut
01-12-2016, 03:44 AM
There are no army releases anymore, this is more like a flavour release.

The variety comes from mixing it with something else as you please.

Path Walker
01-12-2016, 03:44 AM
I love Erik trying to apply real world physics and biology to a Fantasy setting where lizards are remembered into existence and lightning is a viable mode of transport. xD

The fiery dwarf emblazoned with magical golden runes made from the shattered remains of his dead god who is riding a giant magma lizard wields an axe thats just too long, its silly. And also something about the teeth of said giant magma lizard.

Erik Setzer
01-12-2016, 10:00 AM
I think it's a stylistic representation of the heat of the forge behind the metal. It's radiating out in a manner reminiscent of medieval depictions of the sun's rays.

If it's meant to be that, as part of the mask/helmet thing, that would make sense. And it might have been, but the message got lost and they assumed it was an actual beard and painted it like one. Paint it like fire and it makes more sense.

arguably of just a single unit as a faction in their own right.

It already had its own faction... they just killed it off again when they retconned Storm of Chaos out of existence.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-13-2016, 09:21 AM
I think the intent these days is that we will have more factions but they will have stronger, unified themes. As the game has four "alliances" I think the idea is that if you want variety then you allied various stuff (eg forces of order army could contain seraphon, stormcasts and sylvaneth)
Also liking how these new factions are successors of stuff from the "old world". I hope when they do elves they will focus on the Witch Elves and give them a medusa theme expanding on that bloodwrack throne kit for example.

Wolfshade
01-13-2016, 12:31 PM
If you don't wish to see someone's comment because you dislike it, use the ignore button

Carry on and stay on topic.

Mr Mystery
01-17-2016, 06:41 AM
And now for a pic of next week's releases, the Battlesmiths and Grimwrath Berzerkers.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Are just more clampack character models or just individual examples from another unit box? Would hope for the latter myself..

Mr Mystery
01-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Battlesmith is the kit we saw late last year, and seems to be a single character clampack going on the sprue.

The Berzerkers? Who knows.

AdamHarry
01-18-2016, 09:47 AM
via Scanner (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?29289-WD-104-Duardin-Warscrolls) 1-18-2016

16938 16939
16940 16941

Mr Mystery
01-18-2016, 09:55 AM
None too shabby!