PDA

View Full Version : Get Started sets

Hendrik Booraem VI
12-28-2015, 06:26 AM
I know the front page posted the thing about the Get Started With... boxed sets that GW is allegedly going to offer. Does anyone have any further info on those sets? I have a six-year-old son who wants to play Imperial Guard and I would dearly love to take advantage of an $85 set of Leman Russ, 10 Cadians, a heavy weapons team, and a commissar, but the GW website says nothing about it (yet).

Also, I have an employee who is getting started with Eldar who would love to get a similar deal, but the imagery linked in the article didn't say anything about an Eldar boxed set, so I was wondering if there was any more information on which armies would get such sets...

Each 40K set comes with an enclosed Formation with rules.

via Fen on Warseer (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?415816-New-release-Bundles&p=7589123&viewfull=1#post7589123)1-6-2015

SM
-pick a unit from the formation close to the captain,that unit can fire in the movement phase instead of moving (and then can still fire in the shooting phase)

Mechanicus
-pick an enemy unit within 18" of the dominus and within his LoS at the start of the shooting phase,all units from the formation repeat to hit against that unit for that phase

Tyr
-if the gargoyle are close to the Tyrant during the movement phase,you can immediatly remove them from the game and place them back in the same turn coming from deep strike.If they DS close to the warrior unit from the formation,they dont scatter

Necron
-when the scarabs and warrior units from the formation are destroyed,you place them back in game close to the overlord at the start of the next turn

Guard
-All infantry has 4+ cover while standing near the LR

Tau
-Pick a unit close to the ethereal,remove all the models of that unit save for one,then redeply all those models keeping cohesion with the model you left on the field.Not sure how often/when you can do it

Brakkart
12-28-2015, 07:40 AM
As far as I know they are in the White Dwarf coming this week, which means they'll be up for pre-order on Saturday. Don't think there is one for the Eldar, at least not in this batch of them, unknown if there will be more to follow afterwards.

Perversor
12-28-2015, 05:12 PM
As far as I know they are in the White Dwarf coming this week, which means they'll be up for pre-order on Saturday. Don't think there is one for the Eldar, at least not in this batch of them, unknown if there will be more to follow afterwards.

I recall reading somewhere they'll be announced at 2nd January for preorders.

Hendrik Booraem VI
01-01-2016, 06:35 PM
THese are no longer rumors. They are live at www.games-workshop.com. The website seems to be slow processing pre-orders, though... ;)

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-01-2016, 06:52 PM
the Tau one looks especially good value for money.

Hendrik Booraem VI
01-01-2016, 07:57 PM
the Tau one looks especially good value for money.

Even better, each set includes a formation so that you can use just those models to start playing the game. Games Workshop seems to have finally figured out marketing...

Erik Setzer
01-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Even better, each set includes a formation so that you can use just those models to start playing the game. Games Workshop seems to have finally figured out marketing...

Let's not be hasty. At the same time, they're releasing $20 primer paints ($28 for the gold one), and today they announced a $1000 fiction-only Black Library season pass.

Yeah, they did one thing right, and kudos to them for that. But then they like to remind us that this is only to try to hook new people... once you get that tiny bite, they figure you'll pay deluxe prices to complete the meal.

Mr Mystery
01-02-2016, 05:19 AM
Elimination Maniple and a Get Me Started Mechanicus Bundle, and you've got a decent army (price of rules aside) for £140.00

Think I'll get me the Mechancius one. Can always use more Skitarii, and I don't currently have any Onagers.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-02-2016, 05:29 AM
Dark Sphere has these sets for £37.50. P&P (Royal mail tracked, 2 day delivery aim) brings them up to £41.

SM one :
https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=67800&c=108

Tau one :
https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=67804&c=114

Nids :
https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=67802&c=115

Mechanicum :
https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=67805&c=1482

Astra militarum :
https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=67801&c=105

Necron one :
https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=67803&c=106

would prolly get the necron one if it had immortals, bought too many warriors from years ago and already have the overlord sadly..tau one is tempting though...

Kirsten
01-02-2016, 05:35 AM
I'd be tempted by a couple of the Seraphon one

Morgrim
01-02-2016, 07:59 AM
I'm planning on getting the Seraphon one if it isn't a limited time offer. Or even if it is but it'll hang around for at least a month, preferably two. (ie I've blown my hobby budget and need to save for it)

Kirsten
01-06-2016, 10:08 AM
is the terminator captain new? haven't seen him before

cpt_safety2
01-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Are there any rumors as to when Eldar and/or Dark Eldar might be released? I'd like to get my daughter started with Eldar... On the Warhammer side, I like the Orc beginner set - and the Lizardmen - er - Seraphon...
Thanks,
-Bill

DWest
01-06-2016, 11:29 AM
He's from the "build the entire First Company" bundle-plus-formation from . . . late 2014 maybe? IIRC, there was considerable upset at the time, because the 6th ed Marines codex didn't permit a Terminator Captain to get a Relic Blade.

Erik Setzer
01-06-2016, 11:30 AM

He's from the Strike Force Ultra boxed set.

CoffeeGrunt
01-06-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm getting the Tau one, it's a damn solid deal and that's a solid starter force in that box. Tbh, if they keep these going they'll clear the shelves, I think. I know plenty of people who are planning on buying one for their faction.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-06-2016, 11:49 AM
They need to do Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos Marines and Blood Angels at the least. Space Wolves and Grey Knights don't have a clampack character yet and Dark Angels don't have a tactical squad outside of Dark Vengeance yet (allthough they could do deathwing but I don't think they would personally), not sure if they would do a Harlequins one either. Not sure on Tzeentch and Slaanesh either at least for 40k, perhaps for Sigmar.

Erik Setzer
01-06-2016, 01:31 PM
They need to do Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos Marines and Blood Angels at the least. Space Wolves and Grey Knights don't have a clampack character yet and Dark Angels don't have a tactical squad outside of Dark Vengeance yet (allthough they could do deathwing but I don't think they would personally), not sure if they would do a Harlequins one either. Not sure on Tzeentch and Slaanesh either at least for 40k, perhaps for Sigmar.

Space Wolves, they can use use Krom, similar to how they're selling the Bloodstorm BA Captain now.

Dark Angels have a Battleforce box (not the same thing, but basically same concept):

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Angels-Battleforce-2015

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
krom?

good point on DA though, they will probably give them a miss unless they want to replace that current set.

edit : they might replace it actually, there was a recent-ish space marine battleforce that was a tac squad, dread and hq and that seems to of gone from the webstore now. They might do the same thing with the blood angels battleforce too so maybe they'll wait till the stock on that set runs out and replace it with these new "getting started" ones.

Bigred
01-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Each 40K "Start Collecting XX" set comes with an enclosed Formation with rules.

via Fen on Warseer (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?415816-New-release-Bundles&p=7589123&viewfull=1#post7589123)1-6-2015

SM
-pick a unit from the formation close to the captain,that unit can fire in the movement phase instead of moving (and then can still fire in the shooting phase)

Mechanicus
-pick an enemy unit within 18" of the dominus and within his LoS at the start of the shooting phase,all units from the formation repeat to hit against that unit for that phase

Tyr
-if the gargoyle are close to the Tyrant during the movement phase,you can immediatly remove them from the game and place them back in the same turn coming from deep strike.If they DS close to the warrior unit from the formation,they dont scatter

Necron
-when the scarabs and warrior units from the formation are destroyed,you place them back in game close to the overlord at the start of the next turn

Guard
-All infantry has 4+ cover while standing near the LR

Tau
-Pick a unit close to the ethereal,remove all the models of that unit save for one,then redeply all those models keeping cohesion with the model you left on the field.Not sure how often/when you can do it

Bigred
01-07-2016, 12:14 AM
via Captain Citadel (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?28922-New-Formations-For-40k-Start-Collecting-Box-Sets)1-6-2016

Erik Setzer
01-07-2016, 09:56 AM
krom?

Krom Dragongaze, from Stormclaw. Plastic Wolf Lord. Pretty good model, too.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Krom Dragongaze, from Stormclaw. Plastic Wolf Lord. Pretty good model, too.

Had to google that one, yeah vaguely remember him now, agreed very nice! could put him with a wolf pack and dread then.

Learn2Eel
01-08-2016, 12:49 AM
As much as people often dislike what formations have done to 40K, these new formation-driven bundles make starting allied forces easier than ever. Also perfect for people wanting to get into the hobby that don't necessarily like the factions present in the starter sets.

Hendrik Booraem VI
01-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Still no photo of the IG formation posted. I will rectify that as soon as my sons package arrives. Also - Battlescribe repositories haven't yet been updated with the new formations. :(

CoffeeGrunt
01-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Still no photo of the IG formation posted. I will rectify that as soon as my sons package arrives. Also - Battlescribe repositories haven't yet been updated with the new formations. :(

The Infantry get a Cover Save as long as they're near the tank. Can't remember the exact numbers, though. Think it was a 4+ within 6".

Haighus
01-11-2016, 12:43 PM
The Infantry get a Cover Save as long as they're near the tank. Can't remember the exact numbers, though. Think it was a 4+ within 6".

That is pretty cool, makes it into a proper infantry tank formation with the units supporting each other.

Mr Mystery
01-11-2016, 03:09 PM
It's also an interesting way for people to kick off an Astra Militarum army.

Not only is it good value discount wise, but two perhaps three and you've got a miniature army without needing ludicrous quantities of infantry pushing up the monetary cost.

Hendrik Booraem VI
01-15-2016, 05:52 AM

Here's the Formation sheet from the Imperial Guard Start Collecting set. Oddly enough it allows you to take an infantry squad by itself, but doesn't require that the squad be veterans. So potentially, with this formation, you can have an army if you just have 10 cadians, which is great. However, it doesn't provide for you to take both the 10 man infantry squad AND the heavy weapons team that comes in the box. Not sure how I feel about that...

CoffeeGrunt
01-15-2016, 06:08 AM

Here's the Formation sheet from the Imperial Guard Start Collecting set. Oddly enough it allows you to take an infantry squad by itself, but doesn't require that the squad be veterans. So potentially, with this formation, you can have an army if you just have 10 cadians, which is great. However, it doesn't provide for you to take both the 10 man infantry squad AND the heavy weapons team that comes in the box. Not sure how I feel about that...

The HWT is an upgrade for the Infantry Squad. You swap two lasgun Cadians out for it.

Hendrik Booraem VI
01-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Yes. But then you have two spare cadians flopping about in your storage box, see? My point is not that you cannot use the HWT, it's that you can't use the HWT AND the full 10-man lasgun squad. And why would you add an HWT to an infantry squad that's going to be moving with a tank? Then they're always snap-firing?

I think the Getting Started... set in this case is much better viewed as 1/3rd of a decent army, and I would GLADLY buy 2 more if I didn't think my wife would have a cow over it. Also, setting up a Leman Russ to have all weapons magnetized is insanely fun. Magnetizing the Sponson boxes is less so. :(

Haighus
01-15-2016, 02:16 PM
I feel like this formation is asking for the Guardsmen to be used for a cover save for the tank, which then provides them a cover save back via the special rules. Not very effective against Tau but pretty decent defense otherwise.

Mr Mystery
01-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Indeed.

Though it still makes the Tau expend their Marker Lights on weedy Guardsmen if they want them out the way, which is nice.

Al Shut
01-16-2016, 04:20 AM
I think the Getting Started... set in this case is much better viewed as 1/3rd of a decent army, and I would GLADLY buy 2 more if I didn't think my wife would have a cow over it.

I'd rather take this and a Defence Force. Who needs three Commissars in a starting core army?

Mr Mystery
01-16-2016, 06:12 AM
Someone with very poor troop discipline?

I'm going to nab the Malignants box next weekend. Got the previous VC Batallion, so that should round things out very nicely for (yet another) new army pour moi.

Whilst that Batallion is no longer available (at least for now - who knows about the future?) combined they're a significant force for a decent price.

Same with the Cadian Defence Force and the AM Getting Started box.

I really hope GW continue this trend - mini 'it's a start' boxed sets for £50, playable as-is, medium 'arguably a better place to start' for around £100 (would keep most going over a school summer holiday) and perhaps a 'you're messing with the big boys now' set for £150 - all offering a set collection at a discount.

Anything to get people playing more. I know opinions will vary on the next bit, but ready?

The cost matters less once you've got the bread and butter of your army. So make that Bread and Butter a Bargain.

Erik Setzer
01-16-2016, 07:43 AM
Do the sets come with rules for the models in them, or just a formation? Wondering if you still have to buy the codex to use them, or they're true "out-of-the-box." (AoS are, since you can just get the rules online.)

As for the spare Commissars, well, you could convert one.

Not an amazing photo, but gives an idea:

Some day I'll finish this poor guy. And the army he's attached to. (At the time of the photo, I didn't actually have all the paints I needed, for some reason. I swear paints go disappearing.)

Mr Mystery
01-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Paint Goblin.

Second cousin to the Sock Goblin, Stuff Goblin and Beer Goblin.

'Orrible little blighters the lot of them. Especially the Beer Goblin. You go out for a couple of quiet drinks, and before you know it, it's the next morning, and he's messed up your hair, stolen £50 out your account, and also had the cheek to poop in your mouth.

Hendrik Booraem VI
01-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Do the sets come with rules for the models in them, or just a formation? Wondering if you still have to buy the codex to use them, or they're true "out-of-the-box." (AoS are, since you can just get the rules online.)

You do still need the codex, and of course the rules. However, the Imperial Guard set came with the stats for the Leman Russ variants you can make included with the booklet that shows how to put it together. There's nothing on the infantry models, though.

With the Tyranids, I don't think that boxed set included any rules on any of the models.

EDIT: I meant to add earlier, I ordered my IG Start Collecting set straight from Games Workshop and got a nifty little punch-out card of wound counters with skulls in addition to my order. Which is pretty cool - means I don't have to mark wounds with dice anymore.

Brakkart
01-17-2016, 07:38 AM
I got the Space Marine start collecting box, along with a Land Raider, couple Razorbacks and a few other bits from Dark Sphere. At £37.50 it's insanely good value for the box and will make a nice start to my long planned Mentors army.

Kirsten
01-17-2016, 10:30 AM
I've got all the monstrous creatures I need for my Nids, considering a swarm box and a start collecting box, would give me plenty of bodies then.

Erik Setzer
01-17-2016, 10:53 AM
You do still need the codex, and of course the rules. However, the Imperial Guard set came with the stats for the Leman Russ variants you can make included with the booklet that shows how to put it together. There's nothing on the infantry models, though.

Thanks. Had an idea to write something up for my personal site (it's been way too long), and I couldn't find any boxes locally except the Space Marine box, which I didn't need, so it was kind of hard to do personal research. :p

Al Shut
01-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Mmmh, I could "use" a Tyranid box myself. I put use in "" because I'm not playing right now but I'm lacking all of the models.

Brakkart
01-17-2016, 03:23 PM
EDIT: I meant to add earlier, I ordered my IG Start Collecting set straight from Games Workshop and got a nifty little punch-out card of wound counters with skulls in addition to my order. Which is pretty cool - means I don't have to mark wounds with dice anymore.

Yeah I got one of those too when I placed a mail order last week. Very nifty little freebie.