PDA

View Full Version : Video Blood Angels killed the Radio Tau

Bedroom General
04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Me and the rest of the group I play in had the new BA codex at our last match. One of us is a veteran (2nd ed!!) Bloodies player. We were bemoaning the ridiculosity of some choices (deep striking Land raiders wtf?) and how the monolith's flavour had been stolen by imp's.

We decided that a) any cool xenos rule which created a different feel to your army would eventually turn up in an imperial army, most likely the marines.

b) That having a tank now that isn't BA is like paying a premium for a slow 2nd hand ol' banger, while BA's have ferraris.Fast vindicators..seriously..SERIOUSLY!!!!

c) My mate and I's Tau vs new BA would be screwed! Look at the BA 'dex....look again...cry tears of blood...Tau are screwed!!

I know that in many ways this is a "new codex broken omg type rant" but I think we're being set up for a new edition of the rules to straighten out this herohammering mess that 40k is becoming. Oh and Tau are screwed!

The synergy of any imperial force is now superior to any xenos, 'nids included, with the benefits of reliable resilient and forgiving troops. In the hands of a competent player (my BA vet friend is a BEAST!) the red marines will annihilate armies that used to use their speed to be competitive. Where are my pills?...oh and tau are screwed oh and so are 'crons...its their initiative you see.

TSINI
04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
lol, on the other hand, think about what 5th ed codex: TAU will bring. i'm thinking a uppage of rates of fire for everything, twin shot rail guns etc.

they'll still suck at h2h, but they will be so much better at shooting than they are even now.

My opinion is that GW are tired of how reigned in 3rd/4th ed was. they've decided to go balls out loopy with all the new dexes, bringing in units and special rules we never expected to see - battle tank squadrons, towering trygons, psychic powers that remove everything in a straight line (JOTWW), deep striking landraiders (i'm still scratching my head over that one)

it just seems like 5th edition is going to be a lot more fun, you just can't second guess what your opponent will be doing based on what race their army are, now there's combos and special characters/rules not to mention the ability to completely change how your force functions that really spice the game up.

its just a shame it's going to take a little while to get around all the books.

fade_74
04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Well....I guess your screwed then. Trade all your tau and necrons to me for a squad of death company and a rhino. Maybe that will be your win button.

What good is winning all the time anyway? I would rather take 10 solid thrashings that were good ol' fun games with laughing and shoulder punching and friendly banter and trash talk, than win 1 single game that was no fun.

Now I know you are thinking what a troll I am. But let me tell ya. I own a tau army, and I own a necron army. I love to play my necrons and i win with them once in awhile. I never really could get the hang of my tau though. I just never could get the mindset, or the tactics, down.

Maybe we should all pick up an army that is just made for fun....and play it once in awhile. No leafblowerspacewolveshowlinmeltaspamminduallashpri ncingthreemonolithfortymeltarhinoplaguemarinenobbi ker bull****. Just go to your mini collection....and pick stuff you like. NOT stuff you like because it lets you win. Pick fluffy, cool models that dont always go together....and make em work. It might surprise you how fun and competitive it can be.

Bedroom General
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Fade couldn't agree more. I love my craptastic Chaos dreads and spawn. I do play for fun and with like minded people. I won't chuck the Tau, but I won't play em much. They don't have the volume of reliable shots to stop the inevitable head kicking. My necrons get jumped in h2h and then get swept due to lousy initiative. I actually thought the new nids were underpowered compared to SW then this BA craziness. Their landraiders cost the same as in C:SM yet can deep strike!! Yes this is probably my pet hate.

Uncle Nutsy
04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
deep striking land raiders?

that's like punching a baby for its' candy.

only way I can see to counter that is to deploy in a small area inside MASSIVELY dense terrain to try and force a mishap.

Melissia
04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Best I can say is position your railguns so that you can pop those land raiders asap, while screening them from the contents with kroot.

therealjohnny5
04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Well....I guess your screwed then. Trade all your tau and necrons to me for a squad of death company and a rhino. Maybe that will be your win button.

What good is winning all the time anyway? I would rather take 10 solid thrashings that were good ol' fun games with laughing and shoulder punching and friendly banter and trash talk, than win 1 single game that was no fun.

Now I know you are thinking what a troll I am. But let me tell ya. I own a tau army, and I own a necron army. I love to play my necrons and i win with them once in awhile. I never really could get the hang of my tau though. I just never could get the mindset, or the tactics, down.

Maybe we should all pick up an army that is just made for fun....and play it once in awhile. No leafblowerspacewolveshowlinmeltaspamminduallashpri ncingthreemonolithfortymeltarhinoplaguemarinenobbi ker bull****. Just go to your mini collection....and pick stuff you like. NOT stuff you like because it lets you win. Pick fluffy, cool models that dont always go together....and make em work. It might surprise you how fun and competitive it can be.

i like the way you think my man.

Uncle Nutsy
04-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Best I can say is position your railguns so that you can pop those land raiders asap, while screening them from the contents with kroot.

even that's not a guarantee, seeing as they can deepstrike right behind them.

If a person is using broadsides, best bet is to deploy them on top or near a tower.

Melissia
04-06-2010, 09:27 PM
And if a person isn't using broadsides, they're probably ****ed against land raiders.

RocketRollRebel
04-06-2010, 09:28 PM

cheers sir.

Side note all the whining about IG is really turning me off to my IG army that I have had for years. I really dont see BA as broken at all, rather I put them on par with SW power wise. I love the new dex and I'm working on building a fluff based BA army to kinda revive my sad red dudes who havent seen the light of day in about a year.

Melissia
04-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Bah, don't let them put you off an IG army. Just don't build a mech army. Build a fluffier footslogging Guard army supported by tanks and sentinels. It's still surprisingly effective, it's just not what makes people whine (it's the mech guard that people tend to hate on).

Uncle Nutsy
04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
And if a person isn't using broadsides, they're probably ****ed against land raiders.

quite.

There is one option left though and I don't know how effective it will be. And that's two XV9's with fusion cascades.

ZenPaladin
04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Actually another option and potentialy a better one is the piranha linebacker wall. Keep the piranha in the back field wait for the raider to strike in then surround it on three sides with melta shooting fish. Even if you don't kill it will have to back up and go around the wall or else ram them for fail and not get to move.

Its a trick another tau player used well to deal with a multi raider list. Broadsides mighty though they may be are less effective than the melta vs AV14.

Polonius
04-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Can models assault out of a deep striking landraider? If not, then any player that actually deepstrikes is probably doing you a favor. Played properly, a landraider should allow a turn 2, or at worst turn 3 charge. With deepstriking, the best possible outcome is a turn 3 charge, with later turns not unthinkable.

On a different note, I sympathize with players stuck with an older and frankly deeply weakened codex. I didn't play my IG much between 5th edition and the new codex. It's just a part of the hobby, and a really good reason to expand beyond one army. It's pretty cheap to put together a Marine force of one type or another, and they can usually find at least one serviceable codex.

DarkLink
04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Can models assault out of a deep striking landraider?

Can you assault out of a drop pod.

papa smurf
04-07-2010, 06:18 PM

I couldn't agree more. well said, sir. :)

Melissia
04-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Its a trick another tau player used well to deal with a multi raider list. Broadsides mighty though they may be are less effective than the melta vs AV14.

When the Land Raider doesn't deep strike, I'd take broadsides over melta any day. Killing them before they can potentially shoot all weapons at you > killing them while they're shooting all their weapons at you and have had a chance to have their cargo deployed.

ZenPaladin
04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
True enough.

Living in the age of mech that we are though? Do the smart thing and take both.

Gooball
04-08-2010, 12:42 PM
The IG i use is usually a meatsheild with big guns behind it :P
Though next game i play i am planning on using massive amount of penal legion to see what happens!
Point is, have fun and screw it if you lose

Paul
04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Can you assault out of a drop pod.

Does a drop pod have Assault Ramps?

Shagrath
04-08-2010, 02:15 PM
probably in a couple codexes

eagleboy7259
04-08-2010, 05:18 PM

It will in 5th ed Codex: Black Templars =D

Melissia
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I was assuming that nothing can assault out of a deep striking transport unless it specifically says otherwise, like the Heroic Intervention ability of VanVets.

DarkLink
04-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Rhetorical question, lol. And while a Drop Pod isn't an assault vehicle, it is an open topped vehicle iirc, which is about the same thing. Regardless, you can't assault out of a drop pod after deepstriking, so I don't think you'd be able to assault out of a Land Raider either.

probably in a couple codexes

Or Forgeworld Lucius pattern drop pods, too

scadugenga
04-08-2010, 09:37 PM

What about fusion blasters?

Battlesuits w/fusion blasters should make mincemeat from any BA player stupid enough to deep strike a landraider near tau forces.

The LR can only fire 1 weapon due to PotMS (deep striking counts as moving at cruising speed) and whatever it disgorges upon landing *still* cannot assault due to deep strike rules. It kills maybe a little bit and then gets wiped out in the counter shooting.

I don't think you'll see many DS'ing LR's, except maybe for fun, or suicidal BA players.

Melissia
04-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Yes, if you're going to build a list specifically to counter BA deep striking land raiders. But I'm speaking from a take all comers perspective, and I've never feared fusion gun toting battlesuits as Sisters, Guard, or Orks. Railguns, on the other hand, are pretty nasty if you have at least one vehicle.

Commissar Lewis
04-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Oddly enough despite all of my horrendous luck, I have never lost a single tank to a Tau Railgun.

Hell one time my friend was so infuriated by my Colonel Straken shrugging off all of the wounds he inflicted upon him that he fired a railgun at ol' Iron Hand. (the command squad were dead). Straken's 5+ Invul save deflected the shot. I like to think Straken yelled at the rail projectile so viciously that the poor thing started crying and left the field.

But yeah, though in general Railguns are nasty AT weapons. Fusion blasters can also be great for LR busting.

Uncle Nutsy
04-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Actually another option and potentialy a better one is the piranha linebacker wall. Keep the piranha in the back field wait for the raider to strike in then surround it on three sides with melta shooting fish. Even if you don't kill it will have to back up and go around the wall or else ram them for fail and not get to move.

Yeah I could see that working. A twist on that is using a two piranha team and move em to within 6" of the raider, just beyond the sponsons' limit. Raider goes boom.

I did that with a dual sunforge team behind another tau players' hammerhead. It ended up with a lovely 4" catastrophic explosion that almost took out his pathies :D

Gir
04-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Codex explicitly says (In two places) that units arriving by a deep striking Land Raider cannot assault.

joescalise
04-09-2010, 05:51 AM
I think blood angels are over rated. Yes the deep striking land raider is cheddar and the stormraven is not much better. But if you look at some of there character rules they are worthless. Look at Lemartes, he has about 8 rules and some are pointless. They are expensive points wise, and everyone I have played uses to many death company and they can't even claim an objective. Now that stupid graple is just wrong, it can drag a TITAN WTF!!!!!!

the lord of death is not worth is points, so far the only people I have seen that like him and the stat line junkies. They only see his stat line and nothing else and think he is great.

One of the armies I play is Tau and I agree they are getting the short end of the stick, but like the other person said, when they get a new dex that should change.

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
deep striking land raider
Wait one gob smacking second...
A deep striking WHAT??!!?!
How... How...
What's the fluff behind that?
Is it "eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW *CLUNK!!!*"
or like "it was behind this tiny bush all this time! You just didn't see it!"
Seriously, how does this get justified?
On a high note, anything that deep strikes in front of my Eldar is SKEE-ROOHED.
I mulched Blood Angels before, but if they become as much of a ridiculous cheese fest as Space Wolves, they are going to feel the pain...

Uncle Nutsy
04-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Now that stupid graple is just wrong, it can drag a TITAN WTF!!!!!!

ugh that's just lame. But I wonder if the titan can stomp that grapple weilding dreadnought into a metal pancake. It'd be funny if it could.

One of the armies I play is Tau and I agree they are getting the short end of the stick, but like the other person said, when they get a new dex that should change.

indeed. But I think the XV9's and their ruleset will help us out a bit. especially with their new guns that give each suit 8 shots total with rending. and they're cheap too.

Another option is that D6 melta gun they can have too. Stick an XV9 with two of those on it beside a broadside and hammerhead and I bet you the bloodangels player will think twice about deeptriking his expensive landraider beside three guns that can tear it and it's cargo apart.

Gir
04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Wait one gob smacking second...
A deep striking WHAT??!!?!
How... How...
What's the fluff behind that?
Is it "eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW *CLUNK!!!*"
or like "it was behind this tiny bush all this time! You just didn't see it!"
Seriously, how does this get justified?
On a high note, anything that deep strikes in front of my Eldar is SKEE-ROOHED.
I mulched Blood Angels before, but if they become as much of a ridiculous cheese fest as Space Wolves, they are going to feel the pain...

Basically the Blood Angels couldn't work out how to install Lucifer engines into Land Raiders, so in order from them to keep up with the rhino chassis, they drop them from Thunderhawk transporters right into the battle zone. Blood angels have the capacity to do this because:

A. They're bat-**** crazy
B. They have more Land Raiders then any other chapter. So much so that they use them almost exclusively as front line transports.

pgarfunkle
04-11-2010, 11:52 AM
The deep striking Land Raiders originate from an apoc formation that GW put together. The fluff was based on the defence of convoys during the 2nd war for Armageddon. You could field fast predators and tactical squads which had to be assigned a land raider as a transport which could deep strike after being dropped out of thunder hawks. Course the formation is a bit pointless after the new codex.

As a Blood Angel player I can't imagine that there will be many situations where I will be prepared to risk deep striking a Land Raider even with the use of locator beacons, there is usually not nearly enough free table space.