PDA

View Full Version : About Biovores...

XHound87
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I haven't had a chance to try them quite yet, but I'd like to see what this community thinks about the new biovores. The old version biovores weren't all that great for their points. Also consider them against a generally well rounded army (not against pure mech, for example, because I know they're garbage against vehicles). Some of the new changes to the biovore is that they just have a single type of shot, as compared to the 3 in the last codex. R: 48" S:4 AP:4 Assault 1 Barrage Large Blast.

It's the last few changes that caught my attention, as it used to be small blast and wasn't a barrage weapon, just a multi-blast. Besides that, if you miss you have a couple mines that're gonna float somewhere and still be a nuasance to your opponent. Everyone else I've asked so far doesn't seem to have much of an opinion because they've never seen anyone use them.

Tynskel
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
The biovore was a barrage weapon in the last two codexes.

However, the big change is the large blast- which makes them 10x better than they were before. Especially when you combine them in squads. You can cover a huge area with minimal points invested-- that's what makes the Biovore a great unit.

AP 4 is icing on the cake. Means that anything not Marines better be in area terrain.

Str 4 means that you'll put wounds out on marines-- this is a decent weapon to counter units like Long Fangs. Units that you know that will not be mounted. You pin a unit of Long Fangs for 1 round, and you have probably 'made up' your points- not physically, but just giving a monsterous creature an extra round could be all you need.

XHound87
04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Indeed. All good points. For 135 points for the unit would seem to be fairly cost effective, especially against anything swarmy or just out in the open that doesn't have an AV. It just sounds to me like I could mindlessly throw them into a list higher than 1k, plop them in the back and rock the snot outta some units.
I'm still not sure though. I'll report my findings when I get to some games.

Tynskel
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
My problem is that I only have one- all the way back from second edition.

I want to bust it out again, but I really want to run 'em as three.

its just that........

Blood Angels came out, and I realllly want to build a Stormraven!!!!!!!

XHound87
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Lol, everyone has priorities. Heck, I don't even have one (though I'm wishing I did now). Guess I'm doing some proxies, hopefully against an army to make them shine.

DarkLink
04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I think the biggest problem with them is that there are other units that do their job better. But aside from that, they're very similar to a whirlwind, cheap and effective.

XHound87
04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm looking through the codex, and I'm wondering what would do their supposed job (long range fire support/anti-infantry) better?

Zoanthropes are very short ranged. (I still use 3 in all my armies though)
And anything else with a barbed strangler/stranglethorn cannon is either going to be a one-of in the unit, or *very* points heavy.

What I see with them is that they're very long range, and what most people would think as not very threatening. I mean, if you saw a unit of 'fexs about to hit your lines, or a trio of unassuming biovores, what would you shoot?

Crotch Lictor
04-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I've never run them in my Nids, but with the new changes, I'm putting together a unit of them. Looking forward to fielding them against Orks and IG.

DarkLink
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm looking through the codex, and I'm wondering what would do their supposed job (long range fire support/anti-infantry) better?

Zoanthropes are very short ranged. (I still use 3 in all my armies though)
And anything else with a barbed strangler/stranglethorn cannon is either going to be a one-of in the unit, or *very* points heavy.

What I see with them is that they're very long range, and what most people would think as not very threatening. I mean, if you saw a unit of 'fexs about to hit your lines, or a trio of unassuming biovores, what would you shoot?

From what I understand, it isn't so much that there's another unit that does their exact job better, just that their job isn't really vital. Nidz don't have a problem dealing with lots of low armor infantry, which is exactly what biovores are designed for. A unit of hormogaunts can put the hurt on a unit of ork boyz since they hit first, for example. If you don't have a problem dealing with hordes, then, why include biovores?

XHound87
04-08-2010, 01:45 PM
From what I understand, it isn't so much that there's another unit that does their exact job better, just that their job isn't really vital. Nidz don't have a problem dealing with lots of low armor infantry, which is exactly what biovores are designed for. A unit of hormogaunts can put the hurt on a unit of ork boyz since they hit first, for example. If you don't have a problem dealing with hordes, then, why include biovores?

Well, for one, It does help to include some redundancy in the army. It's generally true that Nids don't have a problem with light/medium troops. A bunch of tools in the toolbox, if you will. I see them as just another tool in a set. To be more specific, just another tool that helps your other tools do their job better. For example, in my area SM/CSM devastator/havoc squads are very prevalent. Usually one unit in each list, though mostly no more than that. They love to have heavy bolters, which chew apart a lot of what I can send their way. I'd rather not have my units be too small and ineffective to do their job before they get there. If I'm able to cause some casualties, heck, even pin the enemy unit, that's a turn where I won't lose as many of my bugs. They fill a niche that nids do have a problem with: long range fire support. I'm able to pin dudes more readily, especially if I've got some other bugs loaded up with barbed strangler/stranglethorn. It just allows me to get my units into close combat without as many losses.

At least in my experiences with the local meta, most players in my area would **** bricks when the majority of my bugs hit their lines.

That's the role I see them fill anyway. Still not 100% on it because I still haven't fully tested it.

Extinction Angel
04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Biovores allow you to divert points toward anti-vehicle/MC units.

The only problem is they eat up a HS slot. Most of the anti-vehicle/MC units are in the HS slot. But with Tervigons, Harpies, and Hive Tyrants etc... you can fill those gaps.

I've been contemplating filling my HS slots with 3x Zoe's, 3x Biovores, and 1x Mawloc. Lots of blast markers and a MC to boot. Flesh that out with some Tervigons and warriors and I think that would make a very interesting army to play.

Tynskel
04-13-2010, 12:46 PM
3 Zoe's? Are those Carnifexes- screamer killers?

XHound87
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Biovores allow you to divert points toward anti-vehicle/MC units.

The only problem is they eat up a HS slot. Most of the anti-vehicle/MC units are in the HS slot. But with Tervigons, Harpies, and Hive Tyrants etc... you can fill those gaps.

I've been contemplating filling my HS slots with 3x Zoe's, 3x Biovores, and 1x Mawloc. Lots of blast markers and a MC to boot. Flesh that out with some Tervigons and warriors and I think that would make a very interesting army to play.

Well, for one, I almost always have 3 Zoanthropes as an *elite* choice (dunno where you got the HS thing). Secondly, I personally don't feel that the Tyranid's HS choices are all that stellar. Fex's being waaaay overcosted now. Mawloc's have been effective for me in games 1k or less; any greater and their usefulness diminishes for me. Trygons are pretty nifty, which I always run as a Prime (for other parts of my army). Which leaves the biovore, which seems like a good choice for dedicated anti-infantry, and the Tyrannofex, which I've come to learn (particularly in the local metagame) you gotta spend the point to give the rupture cannon. I've had more success popping tanks with that thing than anything else in the army.

or the tl;dr version of that last paragraph: Fex is too expensive, Mawloc generally ineffective, Trygon nifty, biovore kills infantry good, tyrannofex kills tank good.

Tynskel
04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
I love Fexes... well...

I love Screamer Killers- I think they are worth their points. Plasma Kiss with 5 Re-rolling to hit Str 10 Monster of Doom!

I just wish I had more biovores- 2 more and I could justify running a squad.

Extinction Angel
04-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Yep, I got ahead of myself. I was including the Zoanthropes as extra anti-tank/MC troops and extra blast markers in my head and typed it out. Brain is faster than fingers.

I want to include a Tyrannofex as the third slot. The Carni's are alright, but our local meta sees either horde of troops or all mech, almost no in-between and I don't think running a bunch of Carni's is cost effective ( I agree, they are way too expensive).

But Biovores are cost effective to the end I want to use them for: more blast markers. This gives me more points for Tervigons and expensive warriors. Tyranid Prime is also a good cost effective choice.