PDA

View Full Version : Asdrubael Vect and hand to hand attacks.

Valkerie
04-05-2010, 12:21 AM
A bit of a complicated question.

Vect and his Dais are classed as an open topped, fast skimmer. The rules say that if it moves 12" or less in the movement phase, it may make an assault move of up to 6" if it is within 6" of an enemy model. It also states that the Dais fights in close combat in the same way as a Dreadnought. It further states that as the Dais is treated as a vehicle they will never fall back, even if defeated in close combat.

'Fighting the same way as a Dreadnought', I think is fairly straightforward. It means that anyone assaulting the Dais attacks its front armor, (that mighty 11), just like with Dreadnoughts.

However, it's also treated as a vehicle. So, does this mean that the movement of the Dais affects the chances of someone hitting it? And if so, how much of the movement counts towards this? The regular movement of 12"? The assault move of 6"? Both combined? If the Dais counts as moving only the 6" assault move, it becomes somewhat of a moot point, as it has a WS of 6, so most people are going to be hitting it on 4's anyway, but if it counts as moving over 6", that can potentially make it a very nasty assault unit. It hits you on 3's, but you need 6's to hit it.

Also, since it's a vehicle, can it drive out of close combat?

Like I said, a bit complicated. I'm planning on using the model in my next game. I think it uses the vehicle rules for units attacking it, except that it can fight back at WS 6. However, since this would give me one Sheol of an advaqntage, I think I'm probably wrong. I can actually see it going either way. I'd appreciate some feedback and thoughts on this, one way or the other.

Lord Azaghul
04-05-2010, 07:09 AM
I think Fights as Dreadnought is the best way to view it.

Since other vehicles don't actually 'fight', unless they are walkers. IE 'Fights as Dread' means WS v WS, since the dread is actually fighting rather then being 'hit'

I think the movement rules are for the benifit of the player using Vect and his Dais, ie you can move 12" and assult.

Also, consider it from the prespective of another walker. Lets say my Sentinal, moved 6" and runs 6" in the shooting phase, my opponent would look at me silly if I claimed he needed 6's to hit my walker.

Its a walker for rules purposes, I'd play it that way.

BuFFo
04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
In combat, Vect follows all the rules as if it were a Dread.

Simple as that :P

Valkerie
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
In combat, Vect follows all the rules as if it were a Dread.

Simple as that :P

Actually, it's even simpler. I did a little more digging in the rules, and the problem was with the nomenclature. The Dais is not a Dreadnought that can move really fast, it's a heavily armed jetbike with an AV. Treating it this way fits the description of how the Dais works.

BuFFo
04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Actually, it's even simpler. I did a little more digging in the rules, and the problem was with the nomenclature. The Dais is not a Dreadnought that can move really fast, it's a heavily armed jetbike with an AV. Treating it this way fits the description of how the Dais works.

You didn't read what I wrote.

I didn't say Vect is a Dread "all of the time" as your response implies.

I said Vect is a Dread "in combat" only.

It doesn't matter how fast Vect moved, or where it moved, or anything out side of combat. The second Vect enters close combat, it is treated as a Dreadnought, and thus follows the rules of a dreadnought DURING combat, ignoring anything else that happened earlier in the turn.

Vect isn't anything like a Jetbike at all.

Vect is a Fast moving Skimmer Vehicle ( He is a Ravager ) which is treated like a Dreadnought during close combat. That's all. ;)

Xenofobulus
04-06-2010, 09:44 AM
You didn't read what I wrote.

I didn't say Vect is a Dread "all of the time" as your response implies.

I said Vect is a Dread "in combat" only.

It doesn't matter how fast Vect moved, or where it moved, or anything out side of combat. The second Vect enters close combat, it is treated as a Dreadnought, and thus follows the rules of a dreadnought DURING combat, ignoring anything else that happened earlier in the turn.

Vect isn't anything like a Jetbike at all.

Vect is a Fast moving Skimmer Vehicle ( He is a Ravager ) which is treated like a Dreadnought during close combat. That's all. ;)
I have been using him alot in many games, and so far I have used him like a dread, but only regarding how to hit and get hit, as he is counted as a vehicle(And the fact that it is a ravager.)It still means that he´s able to leave combat for each round and actually tankshock, then shoot into the masses and there aftera engage with the leftovers in CC once again!, :eek: