PDA

View Full Version : BA as Grey Knights

DarkLink
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
With some of the fun new options in the BA codex, I've been thinking about trying out a counts-as BA army, using my Grey Knights. I've been thinking about this based on two principles; Grey Knights have lots of psychic stuff (Librarian Dreadnoughts, anyone), and Grey Knights teleport (they don't have jump packs, they're teleporting across the battlefield like warp spiders).

Now, aside from some obvious stuff like Librarian Dreads and Storm Ravens (the codex explicitly states that the Grey Knights got the Storm Raven before anyone else), what would I use to represent other units?

Sanguary Guard are a fairly obvious choice. They can "teleport" (Jump Infantry), have wrist mounted Bolters, and Power Weapons (Nemesis Force Weapons). Their Artificer Armor can represent Aegis armor, as well.

What other units do you all think would work for representing certain GK units?

fuzzbuket
04-05-2010, 03:21 AM
easiest atm

fast rhinoes = the floating rhinos in HHCV
terminators= terminators (yes in the GK dex you can give your termies TH/SS ala the 4+ shield :( )
scouts= IST
baal= pred with pscannons/incinerators
sanguariy preist= apothecarys
devs= puge squads
sanguariy guard= Gk (with 1/2 range and silly less powerful nemisis)

personally what I do is run BA with GK but
and in the GD pice there was gk's with jump packs

use allies so

1 GM/stern
1 terminators
2 Gk squads
1 teleport attack
allied with
dante (jump brother captin)
2+ sanguairy guard (jump squads)
baals (preds w incinerators/psycannons)
scouts (gk scouts=badass)
libbby dread
furiso dread
dred
:)

Melissia
04-05-2010, 06:32 AM
I think Grey Knights work best as Grey Knights, but then I never really liked people saying "I play X chapter but I don't use X chapter's rules, I use Y chapter's rules." Usually ends up being nothing more than people saying "wah, my codex isn't strong enough and this one is supposedly so much stronger wah"...

Shagrath
04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Since the key goal of the hobby is "fun" I don't see the issue..I know some Grey knight players who would cringe at it, but some people can win with 15 guys others can't :p.

DarkLink
04-05-2010, 08:43 AM
I think Grey Knights work best as Grey Knights, but then I never really liked people saying "I play X chapter but I don't use X chapter's rules, I use Y chapter's rules." Usually ends up being nothing more than people saying "wah, my codex isn't strong enough and this one is supposedly so much stronger wah"...

Yeah, this is just and experiment to mix things up a little. Gives me a chance to try out some cool new stuff, like the storm raven. Hopefully I'll have time to cut out the cardboard templates I made up this weekend and get one or two assembled.

Melissia
04-05-2010, 08:52 AM
It's intended to be fun, yes, but it's not fun whenever you see people who constantly switch which Marine codex they use and yet don't switch the army or models-- all so that they can get a competitive advantage. It's a very common problem with Marine players...

Shagrath
04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Well you are right, and to a certain degree I agree completely that because marines are the lowest common denominator, you do have the largest amount of power gamers (and noobs) who suck the fun right out of the game...This is a different case though. Not all people who use power armored armies (that aren't sisters) are satan frankly.

Melissia
04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Nor did I make such an accusation :P

Shagrath
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Well you do come off as very very anti-mehrines ...All the time. Not that I don't respect your opinion. Usually you make great points about sisters.

bigrob281
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
you know i was thinking the same thing but do the regular tac and assault marnies as deathwatch kill teams

bigbear bailey
04-05-2010, 03:00 PM
I agree with the others. Use your codex as it show how dedicated of a GK player you are and if you win a lot with it then what can anyone say to you? Sure as hell not that you win because you have a over powered codex, but rather that your'e good instead.

Chris

DarkLink
04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I've been playing Grey Knights almost exclusively since 5th ed came out. And I do win pretty regularly with them, though I don't keep track. Maybe about 50/50. And my opponent's skill level can vary pretty wildly. We have some very good players and some, well, they're newbs so I won't say they're bad players, at least not yet.

Regardless, when I was looking at the BA codex I saw some stuff that could match the Grey Knights very well, and saw an opportunity to mix things up.