PDA

View Full Version : Web Roster Creator for 40K

Reepy
12-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi guys,

A friend of mine and I wanted to learn some web development techniques and I love 40K so we decided to create a web roster creator.

It is pretty (we believe) and has a lot of pictures. The design is simple and provides an easy to look at roster, including a simplified text roster version.

Doesn't handle a lot of the unit/upgrade restrictions so you need your codex if you don't want to give all your tactical marines plasma guns for example. It is not meant to replace the codices.

Hope you guys enjoy it and... tell me what you think: Web Roster Creator (http://webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator)

YorkNecromancer
12-05-2015, 08:28 PM
This is kind of perfect... Detailed, intuitive, easy to use, attractive to look at. Perfect.

Be prepared for GW to close you down. Hard.

Reepy
12-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Thank you man.

If they say something we will put down the site. Hope they don't.

Captain Bubonicus
12-06-2015, 01:36 AM
It's quite lovely - but I don't see an option for Chaos Space Marines. Will you be adding them?

Thaldin
12-06-2015, 03:11 PM
It does not seem very friendly with touchscreens tho.

Reepy
12-06-2015, 11:20 PM
It's quite lovely - but I don't see an option for Chaos Space Marines. Will you be adding them?

I add new codices when they come out. There is Khorne Daemonkin. Adding a codex is not an easy job so I do not add the ones that are probably going to be obsolete soon...ish.

It does not seem very friendly with touchscreens tho.

Hmm... I have no problems on my tablet. What kind of issues do you see?

Thaldin
12-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Using a Surface Pro 3, Windows 10, Microsoft Edge.

I can't drag the unit boxes to the center. I can click on them, but that is about it.

YorkNecromancer
12-07-2015, 01:26 PM
If they say something we will put down the site. Hope they don't.

Likewise.

Been having bags of fun with this.

I really like the fact it saves the information as a notepad document; I wonder if there might be some way to save it as a .JPEG once you're done, for ease of printing out? Or something along those lines...

Reepy
12-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Using a Surface Pro 3, Windows 10, Microsoft Edge.

I can't drag the unit boxes to the center. I can click on them, but that is about it.

Hmm... Weird. Maybe it's the browser. Don't have such a device so I cannot check what the problem is.

Likewise.

Been having bags of fun with this.

I really like the fact it saves the information as a notepad document; I wonder if there might be some way to save it as a .JPEG once you're done, for ease of printing out? Or something along those lines...

I am thinking of ways to do something like that. I am considering PDF or something but have to research.

Thaldin
12-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Reepy, be willing to help ya out and do a share or something with you so you can see what I am talking about if you are curious. If not, no worries =)

- - - Updated - - -

Other feedback, now that I'm playing with it more... the ability to rename a unit would be awesome for customization.

Captain Bubonicus
12-07-2015, 06:09 PM
I add new codices when they come out. There is Khorne Daemonkin. Adding a codex is not an easy job so I do not add the ones that are probably going to be obsolete soon...ish.

Hmm... I have no problems on my tablet. What kind of issues do you see?

Makes sense. I'll have fun cranking out lists for my other armies in the meantime!

BrotherCaptain
12-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Really liking the look of this. Many thanks for sharing!

Reepy
12-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Reepy, be willing to help ya out and do a share or something with you so you can see what I am talking about if you are curious. If not, no worries =)

- - - Updated - - -

Other feedback, now that I'm playing with it more... the ability to rename a unit would be awesome for customization.

I don't know how you can help me. I am interested though.

I've thought of the naming a lot. It's on my list of improvements. Keep them coming. If more people want the same improvement it will happen. :)

Reepy
12-13-2015, 09:16 AM
The unit name can now be changed through the edit unit dialog. Just click on the name and an input will appear.

Djbz
12-13-2015, 11:35 AM
It's quite good.
I have noticed a few problems;
- The Blood Angel's Assault Squad becomes "corrupted" after any modification to the base unit
- Dark Eldar Grotesques corrupt when upgrading one to an Abberation

And Some Errors:
- Space Marine Assault squad veteran sergeants are priced wrong
- Tau Pathfinders are in Elites rather than Fast Attack
- Grey Knight Paladins and Interceptors are also in the wrong force organisation section
- Some characters can't select certain relics that they should have access too (example Blood Angel's Chaplain lacking The Angel's Wing as an option)

But I've got to say I'm loving not having to fish out codexes to come up with ideas for armies (and not wasting paper if I mess up)

Reepy
12-13-2015, 11:44 AM
It's quite good.
I have noticed a few problems;
- The Blood Angel's Assault Squad becomes "corrupted" after any modification to the base unit
- Dark Eldar Grotesques corrupt when upgrading one to an Abberation

And Some Errors:
- Space Marine Assault squad veteran sergeants are priced wrong
- Tau Pathfinders are in Elites rather than Fast Attack
- Grey Knight Paladins and Interceptors are also in the wrong force organisation section
- Some characters can't select certain relics that they should have access too (example Blood Angel's Chaplain lacking The Angel's Wing as an option)

But I've got to say I'm loving not having to fish out codexes to come up with ideas for armies (and not wasting paper if I mess up)

Wow, dude... you're awesome. Thanks for the mistakes find. I'm just one man and it's hard to find problems when you don't use those codices yourself. Thanks a lot. If you find other mistakes tell me.

Reepy
12-13-2015, 12:22 PM
I fixed the mistakes, though about the part:

"- Some characters can't select certain relics that they should have access too (example Blood Angel's Chaplain lacking The Angel's Wing as an option)"

I fixed the chaplain, but cannot search through all the characters to find which relic is missing. If you know which hasn't the option tell me.

Also, if you find places where the picture is missing for some model (like the abberation's pic was) I would appreciate some feedback about that also :)

Djbz
12-13-2015, 12:59 PM
There's an upgrade for the Blood Angel's Librarian called Gallian's staff (10pts) that replaces his force weapon (It is a relic but isn't in the armory it's only on the librarian's codex page)
Not sure about any more after that.

And I've just realized that the Dark Eldar Razorwing jet-fighter is missing it's Night-shields option and the Voidraven bomber is 160pts, not 130

Reepy
12-13-2015, 01:16 PM
There's an upgrade for the Blood Angel's Librarian called Gallian's staff (10pts) that replaces his force weapon (It is a relic but isn't in the armory it's only on the librarian's codex page)
Not sure about any more after that.

And I've just realized that the Dark Eldar Razorwing jet-fighter is missing it's Night-shields option and the Voidraven bomber is 160pts, not 130

Thanks a lot. Already fixed. :) Thanks to you this creator has become better. Thank you.

Haighus
12-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately. GW should have made it 130. Sigh.

Eric Samson
12-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Fair warning, I did something like this 10 years ago, I created a WHFB roster creator on my site, the miniature warzone and got a not so friendly email from GW. Long story short, I took it down rather than face the wrath of a legal department for something I didn't make any $ on.

Good luck!

Reepy
12-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Fair warning, I did something like this 10 years ago, I created a WHFB roster creator on my site, the miniature warzone and got a not so friendly email from GW. Long story short, I took it down rather than face the wrath of a legal department for something I didn't make any $ on.

Good luck!

I hope that GW's new idea is that they do not want to support codices no more but give free rules with the boxes and in the net (as in AoS) which in my opinion will be a good move and there are rumors that support it. A person can hope :D If they decide to kill us the roster will just die and that's it. I will keep it on my computer for personal use ;)

Marins
12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Is there option to add Dedicated Transport or we just add it from Fast Attack slot ??

wobneb
12-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Fyi Blood angles - Raphaen's Death company and Cassor the Damned are troop choices not elite

P.S. nice site keep up the good work dude

Reepy
12-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Is there option to add Dedicated Transport or we just add it from Fast Attack slot ??

Add them from the Fast Attack. We are thinking of some good way to add a Dedicated Transport option inside the unit but we haven't thought of one that would look good.

Fyi Blood angles - Raphaen's Death company and Cassor the Damned are troop choices not elite

P.S. nice site keep up the good work dude

Thanks. I will change that as soon as possible :)

Gerard Sunshine Furst
12-15-2015, 12:58 AM
Erm, having the flamer option for Crusader Squads would be nice, little disappointed you left that out :/

Overall, nice job though :)

Reepy
12-15-2015, 02:15 AM
Erm, having the flamer option for Crusader Squads would be nice, little disappointed you left that out :/

Overall, nice job though :)

Where is the Crusader Squad? Cannot find it. It's probably a mistake but in which codex is it?

Cutter
12-15-2015, 02:27 AM
Where is the Crusader Squad? Cannot find it. It's probably a mistake but in which codex is it?

Codex Adeptus Astartes Space Marines, Troop choice after Scout Squad, in the E-book at least.

Reepy
12-15-2015, 07:02 AM
Codex Adeptus Astartes Space Marines, Troop choice after Scout Squad, in the E-book at least.

Ahaaaa... Saw it. It will be fixed :)

Hokiecow
12-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Very nice!

I haven't read through the thread but the first thing I noticed is it doesn't error check. I was able to add a Riptide to a Stealth Cadre. Also it would be nice if you added a formation, it added in the bare bones to get the formation.

Double click a unit adds it the last formation added vs the last formation clicked. It would be nice to double click a unit and it gets added to the last formation highlighted and/or added to.

Cutter
12-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Ahaaaa... Saw it. It will be fixed :)

Great, I think there are a lot of us here that appreciate the effort.

Reepy
12-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Very nice!

I haven't read through the thread but the first thing I noticed is it doesn't error check. I was able to add a Riptide to a Stealth Cadre. Also it would be nice if you added a formation, it added in the bare bones to get the formation.

Double click a unit adds it the last formation added vs the last formation clicked. It would be nice to double click a unit and it gets added to the last formation highlighted and/or added to.

The missing validation is intended. The roster creator is intended to to speed up and beautify the list building not to replace the codices.

We're thinking about the bare bones formations when you add them.

Dragging was intended to be the main way to add units to the roster. I will think about where to put the roster when you double click.

Great, I think there are a lot of us here that appreciate the effort.

Thank you guys. We're very happy there's such a positive response by the community.

Reepy
12-17-2015, 05:11 PM
I added the Space Wolves codex. Careful. There may be errors :)