PDA

View Full Version : Mephiston Rules (and a rules question)

PsionicFox
04-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Okay, so I got the BA, and I immediately checked out Mephiston (who's been my favorite psyker, and character since I started playing 40K).

Now, I note that Mephiston is not an Independent Character, which, to me, means he's a unit of one who can only be joined by a HG (because it's a retinue), or other Independent Characters (like Dante). Now, one of the other aspects I noted is that Mephiston is immune to Zugwort's Curse, because it targets Independent Characters.

Now, my friends claim he's not immune, because if he's alone (ie. not joined by another IC, or a retinue), he counts as an IC. So I wanted to see what the geniuses here on BoLS had to say.

I now declare that the court is in session.

Lord Inquisitor
04-02-2010, 09:22 PM
If he doesn't have the IC special rule he is not an IC. Also I wouldn't think he could be joined by an honour guard.

Nabterayl
04-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah, if he's not an Independent Character then he can only be joined by Independent Characters. It'd be no different than having a squad that consists of 1 model.

PsionicFox
04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
The HG squad rules state you can take one for every HQ choice you can take.

Perhaps he can't be joined by one, but they can stay within 2 inches, granting him the benefit of FNP from the priest, along with a potent squad that can follow him into assaults (and since he's a unit by himself, they either have to ignore the HG, or ignore Mephiston - either choice is pretty dangerous.

Nabterayl
04-02-2010, 09:45 PM
The HG squad rules state you can take one for every HQ choice you can take.
In that case he'd certainly unlock an Honor Guard squad, yes.

Perhaps he can't be joined by one, but they can stay within 2 inches, granting him the benefit of FNP from the priest, along with a potent squad that can follow him into assaults (and since he's a unit by himself, they either have to ignore the HG, or ignore Mephiston - either choice is pretty dangerous.
Nothing wrong with assaulting the same target with both units, no. Nothing preventing the unit that you double assault splitting its attacks according to the normal rules for being engaged with more than one unit, though.

PsionicFox
04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Nothing wrong with assaulting the same target with both units, no. Nothing preventing the unit that you double assault splitting its attacks according to the normal rules for being engaged with more than one unit, though.

That's true, but splitting those attacks up could be a dangerous decision to make.

gcsmith
04-03-2010, 02:14 AM
You cant attach a Indy to a unit which normally numbers 1 model. so other IDC cant be attached to him like sang priests.

Sir Biscuit
04-03-2010, 10:02 AM
GCSmith is correct. Page 48 first paragraph of the main rulebook, for those who care to see for themselves.

Angelus Mortifer
04-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Mephiston, Sanguinor and DC Tycho are all non-ICs who are counted as a unit of one model, and as such can neither join or be joined by any other unit - they operate alone. They are all HQs however and you can take an Honour Guard for them as a separate unit - there are no retinues in the BA dex...

PsionicFox
04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Cool stuff.

Thanks for helping me clear that up guys.

Tynskel
04-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Mephiston, Sanguinor and DC Tycho are all non-ICs who are counted as a unit of one model, and as such can neither join or be joined by any other unit - they operate alone. They are all HQs however and you can take an Honour Guard for them as a separate unit - there are no retinues in the BA dex...

DC Tycho explicitly states Death Company.

That means he's in Death Company, right? He cannot leave it- they are the same thing.

This is a question I have had- because all death company models are supposed to be in death company. He has the exact same rules + his extra stuff.

lobster-overlord
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
One would think that he would be part of the Death Company, but the way it reads is actually that he is a one man unit of Death Company that cannot join the regular Death Company.

No actual rule states that when you chose to field Death Company Tycho do you place him in your DC unit. He's a one man show. Also, he has fleet, which makes him fast than the standard DC.

John M.