PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Use to Seal Models?

Atrocity
04-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Hello all,

I now have quite a few metal models and a couple of them are starting to chip in minor places, fortunately this is only one unfinished models. I asked a friend at the FLGS about sealing and he was dismayed as the sealant (sealer?) had discolored some of his golds to brown, dulled some colors, and gave his reds this odd "snowy" look.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sealer that (hopefully) minimizes dulling/discoloration? I'm also not a fan of the shiny look so ideally a matte sealant would be preferred.

Thanks

Melissia
04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
The only thing I have is this old spray sealant I used whenever I was in my art classes, but I'm hesitant to use it myself as I don't know how good it'd be...

gwensdad
04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I've fallen in love (OK a bit extreme) with the Army Painter clearcoat. Some others in our group swear by Tester's Dullcoat.

BlackKnight15624
04-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I will go ahead and swear by Testor's Dullcote.

Pros:
1) It dries clear- leaving your colors unchanged
2) It dries matte - leaving your colors unchanged (yep...)
3) It dulls excess shine - sort of contradicting my previous statements, this only holds weight if you use dip (like Minwax or Army Painter). I used Dullcote on my dipped orks and it looks as though they were just shaded... awesome.
4) It's cheap- a can costs like, USD$2.50 where I live and covers a more than adequate area (I sealed 100 orks on a single can)

Cons:
1) It smells bad during spraying and drying.

Anyway- those are my thoughts on it. Happy sealing!

gwensdad
04-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I will go ahead and swear by Testor's Dullcote.

4) It's cheap- a can costs like, USD$2.50 where I live and covers a more than adequate area (I sealed 100 orks on a single can)

$2.50! I'm lucky to find it for less than $5 around here! Where do you shop (and do they have a store here)?

Rift Knight
04-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Dull Coat is the only one I've found that doesn't change the colors. It's the only one I use, little hard to find though.

BlackKnight15624
04-01-2010, 08:52 PM
$2.50! I'm lucky to find it for less than $5 around here! Where do you shop (and do they have a store here)?

Michael's Arts and Crafts usually carries it for around $5, but they give out coupons like they're beads at mardi gras, so it's not hard to get them for 40% off.

Granted, you can probably think of better (read: more expensive) things to use a 40% off coupon on, but if all you need is the Dullcote, it's well worth it.

gorepants
04-02-2010, 05:28 AM
humbrol matt cote (glass bottle) through an airbrush. But! mix it really well first and thin it right down. Very matt.

Brass Scorpion
04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
I seal all my models, metal or plastic, with Krylon Clear Flat sealer. It gives and excellent, hard wearing matte finish and at about $3 to $4 US per can you won't likely find anything as good nearly as inexpensive.