PDA

View Full Version : I don't even...

Katharon
11-19-2015, 11:03 AM
So I spotted this on GW's site today...

Water Pot: Leadbelcher (http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Water-Pot-Leadbelcher)

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99999999003_LeadbelcherWaterpot01.jpg

Price?

$17 USD.

$17

$17

$17

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99999999003_LeadbelcherWaterpot03.jpg

At this point I kind of need a break from things. I'm done with looking at the GW sight for a while.

Mike X
11-20-2015, 07:19 AM
There's a sucker born every minute.

Mr Mystery
11-20-2015, 07:24 AM
So don't buy it?

Kirsten
11-20-2015, 07:29 AM
not a lot of money for a mug

Hendrik Booraem VI
11-20-2015, 07:32 AM

My TOTALLY AWESOME Captain America "FREEDOM" mug cost me $7 at Wal-Mart, so yeah, $17, plus S&H is rather a bit much for a mug.

Gotthammer
11-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Is when it's ugly as sin :p

I mean I got this mug (https://society6.com/product/rei--asuka-evangelion_mug#27=200) for $18 (large size with free shipping):

https://40.media.tumblr.com/a6922cdef2bb5a3b4ad15a258b7bbeea/tumblr_ny48fkxnb21r3nwsxo1_500.jpg

But GW are here like:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/d4381abc8365a61c2907360142b93a81/tumblr_inline_nrz1yqhzEb1rcfkq4_540.png

:p

Mr Mystery
11-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Hey. I resent that.

I worked really really hard on that. Frog took ages to into just the right position.

Kirsten
they are undoubtedly rubbish mugs, but it isn't that much for a branded mug from anywhere

Mr Mystery
And whilst on the subject of Mugs, my lovely team at work bought me a replacement Iron Maiden mug for the one wot got stolen.

Granted they got me Powerslave rather than Run to the Hills, but it's still cool!

Gotthammer
11-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Kirsten - wouldn't be bad if they weren't horrible but they are so it is :p

Mr M - That is indeed very lovley :)

Kirsten
11-20-2015, 08:07 AM
you will find no shortage of ugly mugs on ebay for £20+ :p

Gotthammer
11-20-2015, 08:10 AM
True, but most of those places don't have somewhere called "the design studio" as an integral part of their business

Kirsten
11-20-2015, 08:12 AM
well no, most of them are mug designers professionally, and not a model company making some awful christmas products...

Erik Setzer
11-20-2015, 08:41 AM

Actually, it is. This mug's design is insanely basic, and I'm not sure what the size is. I tend to collect mugs, so I did get one of the "paint pots" last year, but it also came with a handy tin to store stuff in. I know how much mugs go for, and $17 for something so basic and boring is just ridiculous. You can get a 17oz mug designed in the shape of the TARDIS complete with a lid for $20.

Still not nearly as bad as the tape measure, but still not something that should be considered in the sane price range.

My answer is to just not buy it. But I can understand if other people feel the need to vent about something so inane.

- - - Updated - - -

well no, most of them are mug designers professionally, and not a model company making some awful christmas products...

So you either license that stuff out to someone who can do it right, or you don't say "We're a model company!" and try to sell stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with modeling.

Heck, they could have easily taken any of the art they have - so many various pieces! - and had that printed on mugs and sold those, and people wouldn't bat an eye at paying $20 for them. (I'd still consider it too much if they weren't at least 16oz, but that's my personal view.) See? They don't even have to do mug design. Just recycle art. That easy!

If they want to sell their brand (which is what they're trying to do, more and more), they should put some effort into it.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Yeah, it is an awful looking mug and and seeing them did make me go "what the f**k?", I actually thought someone had put something in my weed when I saw it.

completeHook
11-23-2015, 10:45 AM
This is one of my favourite mugs, I got it free from work as a promotion by the electrical goods company Zanussi, designed by someone who may or may not still be passionate about graphic design but presumably makes their living from doing it.

It has a bum related word across the front which probably should have been spotted before they went to print.

On the issue at hand.

Tenner for a branded mug is fairly reasonable, more than my R2-D2 mug, less than my Pantone 1505 mug and my present fav, the event only Deathguard mug. Depends on how much you like mugs really.

Kaptain Badrukk
11-24-2015, 05:35 AM
I will never understand the rage when GW puts out some totally non-essential thing at a high price. I get that something you might buy being expensice is annoying, but why be mad about the price of something utterly inconsequential?
It's like wandering through a supermarket and being offended by their overpriced dog-turds.
You aren't going to buy one, they're a bit ****, so why care that they're expensive?

Al Shut
11-24-2015, 11:13 AM
It's sheer existence (and the fact that some people actually buy this stuff) is a symptom of humanity's woes.

Or something like that.

Maybe use it as a vase to get some value out of it, vases can be pretty epensive.

Erik Setzer
11-24-2015, 11:34 AM
I actually just take offense at how bad the people making decisions are getting. Sure, these are probably stupid cheap to make, so just selling 10% of them will make a profit, but cluttering store shelves with overpriced product that won't move is a terrible idea. Eventually you'll have to do something with all the unsold product, and you would have made more money by just putting the price at something more reasonable. They really do seem to think their name or logo is pure gold that will sell anything, and it's not, and any sense of the market would tell them it isn't, but it's like everyone making decisions at Games Workshop is isolated in a bunker with no concept of the outside world.

It's like this: A really crappy designed website might not cause me actual harm, but I'll still complain about it, and take offense to it on a professional level.

Alaric
11-24-2015, 12:23 PM
It's like this: A really crappy designed website might not cause me actual harm, but I'll still complain about it, and take offense to it on a professional level.

Take offense by all means buy I have no idew why you think complaints do anything. If they gave a damn what you thought they Woulda asked your opinion when they biilt it.

Erik or whoever not liking something does not equate a bad product. Just means you don't like it.

Good to see u commenting again.

Path Walker
11-24-2015, 12:34 PM
I got the Waaaaugh Flesh mug, I like orks, i like tea, no one loses.

Thaldin
11-24-2015, 12:38 PM
I have a chaos 8-pointed star mug I got for free. That's good enough for me LOL

Path Walker
11-24-2015, 12:47 PM
I got one last year too, both were cheaper than other mugs I had and relate to my hobby so give me a little smile when I see them because I think about the fun I have painting miniatures. Seriously, of all the things GWs do, this isn't worthy of discussion in any way, shape or form.

Erik Setzer
11-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Take offense by all means buy I have no idew why you think complaints do anything. If they gave a damn what you thought they Woulda asked your opinion when they biilt it.

Erik or whoever not liking something does not equate a bad product. Just means you don't like it.

Good to see u commenting again.

I know they don't care about my opinion, but I'm not emailing them, I'm just commenting on an open forum. We're all just sharing our opinions here, for nothing more than our own entertainment and potentially education.

I don't think the product is terrible, but I wouldn't call it great, either, and that's not related to the price. It's just kind of bland. And small. I have the Caliban Green one from last year (when you also got a handy tin), and it's one of the smallest mugs I have. The only one actually smaller is a clear glass mug with the chemical structure of caffeine on it, most of my mugs are bigger. Size is kind of important because, for example, I might make a 4 cup pot of coffee in the morning, which will actually fill a bit more than two of these mugs, whereas most of my mugs can handle half the pot, meaning I don't have to worry about what to do with the leftover. (Then there's the large Warcraft Ogrimmar mug I have, which holds most of a pot, so I sometimes use the small glass mug to hold the remainder.)

Alaric
11-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Totally agree man. Well said.

Yer not the only one who thinks its wierd when companies put out products that literally have nothing to do with their main product.

Charon
11-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Yer not the only one who thinks its wierd when companies put out products that literally have nothing to do with their main product.

Not unusual. But most of the time these are called "gifts" or "advertising materials" and take the form of pens, calendars, mugs, T-Shirts, business planners, note pads, candy... and well... companies tend to give them away for free.

Except it is considered merchandise... but then they at least try to pretend that the thing has some "value".

Path Walker
11-24-2015, 03:53 PM
It is related, its a water pot for painting ;)

Alaric
11-24-2015, 05:03 PM
It is related, its a water pot for painting ;)

LOL. Touché Path..Touché

Yeah Charon I hear what yer saying. I call it "company swag" and I have SO much of it. I just tell my salesmen not to bring it anymore....SO MANY HOODIES...and bloody toques. I have 9 toques but only one head to put em on.

Gingerpanda
12-09-2015, 08:18 AM
So don't buy it?

This.

Also it is designed as a gift item, get someone to buy it as a Xmas gift.