PDA

View Full Version : How often do you play beginners

crazyredpraetorian
08-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Last week I played 6 games, 5 were against new players and 1 was against a vet that was new to 5th Ed. It got me to thinking about this subject. Sometimes, we all get caught up in wanting to play the better players in our respective gaming groups. I prefer to play the better players so that I can improve my game. However, I feel that I should also play against beginners, as well. There is nothing worse for a beginner than when a veteran player dodges them when they are looking for a game. I know some people only have so much time and they want to play other veteran players....exclusively.

What are your feelings on this subject and how often do you play against new players?

vharing
08-06-2009, 01:15 AM
everyone starts at some point. a lot of times I find I stand by with a rule book while two new players play each other and give tips and advice. It helps because then you arent trying to win or let you opponent win.

RocketRollRebel
08-06-2009, 03:17 AM
It's never a bad thing. I useually have a friend stand by and help explain rules and give a bit of advice if they want it. I use it also as an oportunity to try something new or units just for fun ( dust off the ogyrn!!!). What is not cool is when a vet player uses an obnoxious list and pumels the new player into the dirt and then gloats about it. Not saying let them win but don't throw down your tournament a demoralize the poor guy. Try to make it a fun learning experience so that they will want to stick with it and help your gaming group grow.

ZenPaladin
08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
I played my first true new players in a long long time at the tournament last weekend.

The IG player brought a comand squad with no special weapons to speak of. Two combat squads with a missile lanuch and grende launcher and a heavy bolter and sniper rifle and a leman russ...

I just didn't know what to say! By the end of the game he didnt have a single thing left on the field. I don't know that I had lost anything at all.. maybe a few fire warriors or wounds on my suits.

I liked playing the new players. But I have dificutly because I'd like to help them become better players but I don't wana sound like an arogant *** and tell them how to play.

Jwolf
08-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Some weeks I play new players, and some weeks I don't. I tend to have games scheduled when I show up, so I don't have that many opportunities to play with random strangers. I've found that most new players are happy to have comments, if the comments are delivered politely and I've set up the post-game in the pre-game.

oni
08-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I'll not dodge a player because he's new to the game. What I find myself doing is just tailoring my list a bit differently. If it's a new player, I'll make a list that's fun and easy going. I'd hate to utterly crush a n00b and diminish his spirits. A lot of times I may even purposefully make mistakes to swing the game in their favor. I find this builds the moral of a new player and gets them more excited about the game. If it's a hardened veteran, then I'll make a list that's hard hitting and try to go for the win.

The only player that I'll dodge is one that is immature, and those can be new or veteran.

Gavvin
08-06-2009, 08:46 AM
When I head up to the local GW store to play, it is usually on Beginner Night, because I have Fridays off. That doesn't mean that I always end up playing beginners, though. I usually sit around and paint or model until someone comes in looking for a game. I keep lists of various common point levels with me and am able to come up with an list and army on the spot.

If I end up playing a beginner, I will work on teaching throughout the game and give them tips and pointers, even to my detriment. I also love to have an AAR after the game to discuss things.

darth_papi76
08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't get to play very often so I'll play anybody. I'm a teacher so I don't mind playing new players.

Madjob
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Friendly games with beginners can be very fun. A while back I had a game with a guy who probably had at least a decade on me and had just started on the hobby with AoBR. He'd gotten a couple games under his belt already, and had some extra scout models he had picked up as well as a few extra termies, so we were about to play a 750 point game (I think, he may have been able to soup his list up to 1000). It'd been a while since I'd played a game that small so I really had to think about how to use my units more effectively, and while he had plenty of questions to ask he would always retain the answers I'd given him with ease, so the game went quite smoothly. Afterwards he even asked me on advice for how to expand his army and we walked around and took a look at the store's shelves while I pointed stuff out to him.

VinceBlack
08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I love playing beginners, wish I had more time to go to the local gaming store and throw down. I like the idea that the pressure is off and that we can take all the time we need to make sure that were getting it right. Honestly its a good way to stay up on the rules for me and see some pretty unusual tactics. Sometimes the best way to devise new tactics is to watch someone who is thinking way outside the box.

BuFFo
08-06-2009, 10:13 AM
What are your feelings on this subject and how often do you play against new players?

As a fellow veteran hobbyist (been playing since 1988) I feel it is my duty to teach new players the game.

Otherwise, someone from the 'tourney generation', i.e. anyone who jumped into the game post 1998, will get a hold of the new player, tell them about Warsewer, how to make cut and paste power lists, and destroy any hope of creativity the new player may have by telling them you can't convert your models, otherwise the GW secret police is going to steal their ovaries in the night.

I play against new players maybe twice a week. And when there are an odd amount of players in the store, I ALWAYS give up my game so a new player can play instead of me. ALWAYS.

JuiceSpringsteen!
08-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I used to play beginners all the time because that was the primary clientele at the store, but now i don't as much because I tend to attract "asshats in training", the kids who think they know the rules and have a killer list and kick and scream when somone proves they are wrong or beats them bad. I'm not sure why, I guess i just seem like an easy win to people.

The Girl
08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
As a newbie, I really appreciate the experienced players that are willing to teach through a game with a list that won't leave my brain leaking out of my ears. I know I'm going to get clobbered most of the time, which is fine... as long as I come away from a game with a new bit of knowledge, I'm happy.

So... thanks, guys. I appreciate your patience and willingness to get new folks into the game.

Chris Copeland
08-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I go out of my way to give as many teaching games as I can and I work hard to make sure the new guy has fun... it is the only way to grow the hobby!

Culven
08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
It has been quite a while since I've had the opportunity to play a new player. Most of the small group at my FLGS are veterans, and we don't have the influx of new players that I wish we had.

However, I have had a few opportunities, and I enjoy being able to help someone better understand the game and their army. It is the only way to ensure the continuation of the hobby that I so enjoy.

Warbosssezhi
08-10-2009, 05:53 PM
It's never a bad thing. I useually have a friend stand by and help explain rules and give a bit of advice if they want it. I use it also as an oportunity to try something new or units just for fun ( dust off the ogyrn!!!). What is not cool is when a vet player uses an obnoxious list and pumels the new player into the dirt and then gloats about it. Not saying let them win but don't throw down your tournament a demoralize the poor guy. Try to make it a fun learning experience so that they will want to stick with it and help your gaming group grow.

I agree on this one.... just think back to your first few games.

Warbosssezhi
08-10-2009, 05:57 PM
As a fellow veteran hobbyist (been playing since 1988) I feel it is my duty to teach new players the game.

Otherwise, someone from the 'tourney generation', i.e. anyone who jumped into the game post 1998, will get a hold of the new player, tell them about Warsewer, how to make cut and paste power lists, and destroy any hope of creativity the new player may have by telling them you can't convert your models, otherwise the GW secret police is going to steal their ovaries in the night.

I play against new players maybe twice a week. And when there are an odd amount of players in the store, I ALWAYS give up my game so a new player can play instead of me. ALWAYS.

Props to you Buffo, new players become veteran players eventually, and your first experiences will stay with you a very long time.

BTW I may just come over from Baton Rouge sometime and challenge you to a friendly game, of course you all are welcome in Baton Rouge anytime.

Emperorsmercy
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I only occasionly go down to the local store, as I play with my friends a lot of the time, and we've played for a while, but when I do go down, I often play a new player mainly because they are the ones who are genrally there. Which is good. It is not worth completly destroying them, but what I do is give them obvious gaps. If they notic them, they can counter attack and make the game more interesting. If they dont, it backfires on me as I beat them and they get disapointed, which makes me feel really bad. Its hard, because you dont want to let them win, but if they are really really bad and anything you do to help them doesnt work, it gets akward at the end...

Chris Copeland
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I go out of my way to give new players every chance to win without actually just surrendering. I go easy on them and let them figure out ways to win. I present a lot of "targets of opportunity" and see if they find them.

Dwarflord17404
08-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I start before the game and help them with roster construction. Often I find NOOB's who think they have a 1000 point list when in fact they have a 750 point list with 250 points of junk wargear. I will then play them at that level. As a side note i am not a power gamer more out of ecnomics than a moral stand but try to teach them the fundAmentals which exist in every army. They are in case you are curious: shooty, counter assault and mobilty. Regardless of edtion ihave found these principles most helpfull. I also enjoy playing new folks because it makes me rememberwhen I was still learning and it was hard to find a game.