PDA

View Full Version : skirmisher movement

Mazelf
04-01-2010, 11:15 AM
OK so Im playing my Woodies vs. a Beastmen army and I stuck one of my spellsingers inside the woods on his own. after a couple of turns skirmishing beastmen walk into the forest and completely surround my spellsinger at the end of their movement, next turn I try to move him out but my opponent tells me I cant since my units cant travel through his units, next turn his beastmen charge my spellsinger. Is this legal? I kept looking at the rulebook but couldnt find anything helpful.... thanks!

*edited for spelling

Lord Azaghul
04-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't have my book with me, but as I recall If you opponent stayed at least 1" away from you model at all times, and then surrounded her, while maintaining the 1" margin, then yes it was perfectly legal.

I would double check his rules though because not much in his army should be skimishing anymore (which I can only assume you were 'ambushed') - I think just archers? And if they did there should have been another archer unit deploying on the normal side of the board - which should be your clue for next time!

Also - kind casters in the woods rarely works out! -even for elves!:cool:

Essayons
07-14-2010, 06:18 AM
This was not a legal move. The only difference with a skirmishing unit is that they are deployed in a "loose" formation. There is no way that they could "surround" anyone. If they wanted to move closer than 1" to your model, they would have to declare a charge and tighten up their formation.

Sorry pal. You got boned.

Essayons.

Hatsgames
07-14-2010, 09:35 AM
This was not a legal move. The only difference with a skirmishing unit is that they are deployed in a "loose" formation. There is no way that they could "surround" anyone. If they wanted to move closer than 1" to your model, they would have to declare a charge and tighten up their formation.

Sorry pal. You got boned.

Essayons.

Yup, the models are still in a very strict formation "roughly' 1.5 inches apart. no way your little caster wits in those gaps!

Essayons
07-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Yup, the models are still in a very strict formation "roughly' 1.5 inches apart. no way your little caster wits in those gaps!

We agree that this is an illegal move, but I think that it needs clarification so that people don't think that a skirmishing unit can move over or around a model IF it can fit in the gaps. A model on a 20mm base could conceivably "fit" in the gaps in unit's formation that has the Skirmishers special rule. 20mm is about 0.787 inches or so, which is about half of the approximate 1.5" that the Skirmishers special rule mandates for separation of models in a unit so designated.

BUT (and this is the point), nothing in the Skirmishers special rule allows a unit to move within 1" of an enemy unit without declaring a charge. Before your model (be it ever so tiny) could be "surrounded" that unit would have to get within 1" of it. Once it hits the 1" barrier, it has to stop. The only way to get any closer is to charge.

Again...your opponent cheated. I use that strong of a term because someone who knows the rules well enough to quote the "your units can't travel through mine" rule at you should understand the Skirmishers special rule if he/she is going to field them AND use them to block your movement like that. Whenever you do something "tricky" like this, at least make sure you're on solid ground. Otherwise, you're being disingenuous.

***Edit***

Crap...after typing all of that, I have the feeling that it's .5" and not 1.5". See...this is what you get for talking from memory and not the rules.

Essayons.

addamsfamily36
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
this is however all on the assumption that your playing 8th edition and not 7th.

If it was 7th edition rules then its quite possible, but not in 8th

Essayons
07-14-2010, 09:09 PM
You know, I really should look at the dates on these things...

Essayons.