PDA

View Full Version : Space marine character and some help with rules

Hendrik Booraem VI
11-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Background: I have six kids, youngest is six, so I watch lots of Disney. Recently, Netflix released a collection of Disney shorts and my kids love them, so I see them a lot. There's one about John Henry, the black American rail-worker, who managed to beat a steam-powered machine in a race. Great story, cute video, he dies at the end (oops, spoiler!), but when he comes out of the tunnel in the video, his hammers are glowing orange-hot.

I thought to myself this morning: "I would love to have a Space Marine character who dual wields hammers, and paint them to be glowing hot like that. That would look really cool!" So, I did some research, and dual-wielding thunder hammers seems a bit unreasonable (cost, low initiative, ridiculously bulky and all that). Seemed like I could cut the hammers back some and make them power mauls, but still have them look cool, just shorter hafts on them.

So, now I'm working on some background for my character, which will be cool, and I'm thinking he'll be a Vanguard Veteran Sergeant. More expensive than Telion or Chronus; in addition to dual-wielding power mauls, I think he'll get two Hammer of Wrath attacks when he charges with his jump pack.

Thoughts on what else I should do with him? If you read the rules on all the other characters, most of them have special weapons or equipment that add USR's to them, which is cool and all. I thought about adding Strikedown or something to his power mauls, but it doesn't seem worth it. I had planned on giving him +1 WS, I, Ld, and wounds. Seems like he'd come in at about 75 points, maybe?