PDA

View Full Version : Tapping During Games

Zoa
03-31-2010, 06:08 PM
How often during games of 40k do you see people tapping and what do you think of it? There are a few people in my gaming club who can't stand tapping for any reason other than needing to leave and being unable to keep the table set up. Personally I think they're idiots, especially when they bemoan (sometimes offensively) other players for tapping even in situations where rolling nothing but 6s (lower for ld of course ;)) for the rest of the game couldn't save them. Why should anyone have to just go through the motions so their opponent can have a wankfest cleaning up whats left of their forces with minimal resistance. Not surprisingly the people most vocal when it comes to bemoaning tappers play lists most likely to utterly cripple an opponent in the first two turns but even when they are losing so badly they can't even tie anymore they won't tap to free up a table (my club has 6x as many members as tables).

Commissar Lewis
03-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Er, tapping? Not familiar with the term.

MC Tic Tac
03-31-2010, 06:17 PM
I belive he means quitting early/throwing the towel in = tapping out ala wrestling/UFC tapping.

Other than obvious time constraints in friendly games, I personally fight to the death if only to be a stubbon git and sometimes you pull of a mircale win or draw.

Zoa
03-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Giving up and ending the game before it would end by the rules because there is either no reason, will or ability to keep playing.

Kahoolin
03-31-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. If I'm playing a jerk who just wants to clean me up, or I'm out of time or just bored that day then I'll concede. In the reverse situation, I try not to mop the floor with people. If I totally outclass a player then I help them out/play fluffily so we both have a good game. If they want to concede I'll let them of course.

If I'm playing someone I'm getting on really well with, the game is fun, and both players are up for the loser making a heroic last stand then we'll play till the bitter end. Don't see why I should have some policy that always applies in every situation :confused:

Commissar Lewis
03-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, ok.

We've done that a few times in my group, usually when it's no longer an even battle and has become a Curb-Stomp Battle, or one side has clearly won.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
03-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Ah, around here we call that "Scooping." It comes from our CCG days.

I'll scoop if the game isn't fun or there honestly is no point in playing. if someone is beating me down and enjoying it too much, or If I go for one last hurrah and have it fail, then I'll scoop. Nothing wrong with it, if its not fun for both sides then its not worth playing

DarkLink
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
I usually don't concede, but I don't have a problem letting my opponent do so. No one ever should.

Sometimes it gets to a point where the last two turns of the game simply involve picking up your last few surviving models one by one. Not that much fun, so some people don't feel like wasting their time going through that.

Mike X
03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Only once did I experience someone tapping out, and it was about a week after the new Tyranids codex released. My friend, who was fielding 'Nids, tapped out around the 4th turn, after realizing he had been playing the rules all wrong. I insisted he could keep going if he liked, but he declined, so I accepted his forfeit.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
03-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Hmm tapping, ive only done that once with a friend playing me, he clearly won, so i didnt see the point if finishing. He had wiped my army and destroyed any hope to even draw.

But i have played a few games were my opponent has done this to me, once he just had to go, which he should of let us know early, other times people just give up or whine about losing.
But if its fun i like to play to the lst or if its ok with the other player im also happy to end the game too as long as we both have fun.

eldargal
03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I've no problem with it, though I try not to do it myelf if I can avoid it.

gorepants
03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Er, tapping? Not familiar with the term.

I was think tapping, like, tapping you pen, fingers etc. Was a little confused by how badly people were reacting. I mean it's irritating, but...

And making holes for bolts, well that made no sense at all (image of guys sat a game with hunks of steel or alu and a die set - 'hold on a minute, i just gotta finish this plate, then I'll take my turn').

DarkLink
03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
I was think tapping, like, tapping you pen, fingers etc. Was a little confused by how badly people were reacting. I mean it's irritating, but...

And making holes for bolts, well that made no sense at all (image of guys sat a game with hunks of steel or alu and a die set - 'hold on a minute, i just gotta finish this plate, then I'll take my turn').

Yeah, I'm not surprised a lot of nerds didn't get the term tapping. It's used in wrestling and UFC stuff, and I've never really heard it elsewhere. If your opponent's got you pinned, you can give up by "tapping out", which is exactly what it sounds like, tapping the ground to indicate surrender.

A more familiar term would be conceding or forfeiting. I've never seen anyone on a warhammer forum use the term tapping, anyways.

Kahoolin
03-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I'm not surprised a lot of nerds didn't get the term tapping. It's used in wrestling and UFC stuff, and I've never really heard it elsewhere.You know, I've never met anyone who likes wrestling or UFC who wasn't also a nerd, so it surprises me people didn't get it :D

Then again everyone's a nerd nowadays. Even jocks play video games.

Bean
04-01-2010, 01:00 AM
We do it all the time. Usually, it's pretty clear which way a game is going to go well before the game ends (barring a sudden and significant luck disparity cropping up) and we usually feel little compulsion to play the game beyond that part. We've done the part we find fun and interesting. The rest, once the outcome is fairly clear, often just isn't worth our time to play out.

I often hear people say, "You should always stick your games out till the end. You might get lucky and win!" This reasoning only holds water, though, if you're really just playing to win. I'm usually not. I'm interested in playing to compete with my opponent in the making-good-decisions department. If I've been outplayed, but get lucky and win in the last couple of rounds, that just isn't a very satisfying conclusion for me. Sticking the game out because you might get lucky and win just indicates that you care too much about winning.

Others like the sort of narrative drama that tends to crop up at the end of the game: the heroic last stands, the occasional sudden turn-abouts, and whatnot. This seems like a better reason to play the game out to the end, but it isn't a very compelling one for me.

MC Tic Tac
04-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I'm not surprised a lot of nerds didn't get the term tapping. It's used in wrestling and UFC stuff, and I've never really heard it elsewhere. If your opponent's got you pinned, you can give up by "tapping out", which is exactly what it sounds like, tapping the ground to indicate surrender.

A more familiar term would be conceding or forfeiting. I've never seen anyone on a warhammer forum use the term tapping, anyways.

I guess it's bad that I orginally thought I meant his was tapping his army Magic the Gathering style.

Jim: "Why are you turning your models sideways?"
Bob "Be cause they're attacking you silly goose"

Fellend
04-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Since I play Black Templar and always spend the first two rounds getting blasted to bits before moping it up in assault the last rounds I don't concede you always have a chance. if nothing else you can try to kill his commander is a last heroic effort.

rbryce
04-01-2010, 02:24 AM
I guess it's bad that I orginally thought I meant his was tapping his army Magic the Gathering style.

Jim: "Why are you turning your models sideways?"
Bob "Be cause they're attacking you silly goose"

thats what i thought,, but couldnt think of an army where every model has bionics lol

pgarfunkle
04-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Lol yeah I though of Magic too. Seemed a vey strange thing to link to 40k, I thought maybe people were using it to indicate when a model was unable to do anything further after going to ground or the like.

I've only ever quit early due to having to leave and even then that was only a couple of occasions. I prefer to fight to the bitter end in a last stand or an attempt to take the enemy HQ or other high profile targets with me. I usually just play down my local store in friendly games though so the atmosphere is a bit more relaxed.

Shas'O D'Narb
04-01-2010, 03:18 AM
If it's pointless to continue, I find it disrespectful not to concede at some point, to be perfectly honest.

Brithian Ranger
04-01-2010, 05:27 AM
I have done this a few tomes, and I see no problem with it. After all this is a game and it is supposed to be fun, so if the game is stressful and I have clearly lost I see no problem with ceding victory.

Cryl
04-01-2010, 05:36 AM
I have done this a few tomes, and I see no problem with it. After all this is a game and it is supposed to be fun, so if the game is stressful and I have clearly lost I see no problem with ceding victory.

and vice-versa I don't expect an opponent who is roundly beaten to have to watch me sweep what remains of his models off the board in a final turn that doesn't need to be played.

Mr.Medic
04-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I Play IG and routinely lose half my army or more, but it is always fun to finish the game even when i have no more scoring units on the table because your remaining units still do amazing things (ratlings take out Hive Tyrant, lone rough rider charges and kills greater demon). Some of the most memorable game play may not come as part of a win or a draw but as a loss. I don't just play to win

gcsmith
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
TBH i kinda deplore giving up other than leaving early, losing in my opinion isnt a reasonable excuse, I make the effort to play a game I wanna play the game, all the turns, after all its the rules :p besides some people may look like they are losing but In turn 5 pull a win, that isnt always luck, sometimes its skill and playing the mission.

sonsoftaurus
04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I used to play Gregory Hines, he tapped all the frikkin time.

oni
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
It bothers me because it shows poor sportsmanship. If the other player is having a great game... don't ruin it for them by quiting.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
04-02-2010, 12:07 PM
It bothers me because it shows poor sportsmanship. If the other player is having a great game... don't ruin it for them by quiting.

What? that doesnt even make sense. they have refs break up fights all the time in the MMA world because one side is having a "great game." Im supposed to just lay there and take the beating?

What should we do for the person who is having a TERRIBLE game? Remember, this game is about both sides having a good time.

oni
04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Remember, this game is about both sides having a good time.

Yup! So don't be a kill joy. Let your opponent enjoy his win.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
04-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Be a gracious winner!

Paul
04-02-2010, 01:06 PM

As people have stated before, it's about both sides having fun. I won't have fun packing up more slowly because a model has to die first; that just wastes time.

Last night, in fact, I tapped. I lost Every Model In My Army except three damaged (mostly immobilized) armored vehicles. I gave up at bottom of four, so I could get another game in, instead of playing through five and possibly six.

I don't think my opponent was too sad about it; he told me he didn't want to play it through either.

Lerra
04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I'll play out even the most one-sided games as long as there is something to fight for. If I'm going to lose a multi-objective game regardless, I'll focus on holding or contesting a single objective. If it's annihilation, I'll focus on killing a problem unit or an HQ. There is nothing wrong with playing for a secondary objective or for honor. Our gaming club has plenty of tables, though, so space isn't an issue.

We do sometimes hit the reset button if things go very, very poorly in the first turn or two. I remember one game against a daemons player where he rolled for the wrong half of his army, and then got mishaps with 4 of the 6 units entering play. We just started over.

gcsmith
04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
It might be me being competative but I play a game where you play minimum 5 turns, that is the rules which you agree to by playing the game, so unless its a store run big game which they have let stagnate or I have to go early I never leave, In a tournie I was told to quit by onlookers because my marines would lose, I still lost but not after pulling a spectacular manovoure which would have drawn if it wasnt for stupid one on vehicle terrain test :p

Zoa
04-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Ending the game early doesn't change the fact that what ever their strategy was worked great and has beaten you. If you can't enjoy a victory without dragging your opponent through the mud for an ego boost then your not a person I want to be playing against in the first place.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
04-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Its a game enough said.

There is no place in any game for bad sportsmanship, rudeness and unfairness. If people play by this motto of being an A@s then just dont play them ever. I have played against some really annoying and obnoxious players, and for me i have no problem telling that they are.
I play to win yes, just like every one else who plays. I just dont gloat, brag, pout, sulk or anything else but smile, laugh and enjoy either a win or lose.

I had a game that from the first turn nothing i mean nothing went right and i was slaughtered, but it was a memorable game and i never stopped laughing all the way through.
As for ending a game i play it out nearly everytime, even in a loss. The only time i would end it early is an emergency happened or it was obvious in the fourth turn that id lost by massacre and that we could have time for one more game.

Even in wins, id let my opponent have fun, even stop using units to make the game more fun, hey ive had games where i wanted it to last longer, and ive let some kid win for fun. Not because i knew id won, or he/she would go home upset, but if you let them win they come back and play again. Better to have more players than waste there money and drop it altogether. Im a freindly player who likes to teach less experienced players.

Lerra
04-03-2010, 11:15 AM
It seems like tapping out early is seen as either good or bad sportsmanship, depending on the club. Around here, there is one player who has a bad reputation for tapping out turn 2 or 3 every time. People stopped playing him because of it.

We've got small monthly tournaments where it is possible to lose a game and still win a prize. That is probably why we will play casual games until the end and fight for every point. Last tournament, I won twice and lost once, but I eeked out two or three points from my defeat. Those few points were enough to push me into third place.

Subject Keyword
04-03-2010, 03:58 PM
If I'm with a friend I'll play through to the bitter end. It's kind of fun to see what you can do in the face of overwhelming odds. With some random jerk off, I'll leave it up to them. Usually people want to move on to other things. Though, when I lose with Necrons, there's no such thing as an army of stragglers.

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
04-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Damn. I thought this thread was going to either be about drinking during games or having sex during games.

Unlighted
04-03-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't like to stop a game early myself. I'm the type of person who likes to have a soft pile of fallen foes to land on. I might be tabled, but I don't consider it a complete loss if I can take at least half of his/her army with me.

I don't throw a fit when I'm mauling someone and they want to quit. If your opponent can't handle total defeat then nothing good will come from trying to force him/her to finish the game.

I won't play a person who quits a game because they suddenly decide to do something else. If you can't stick around for an hour or two then don't bother starting a game! :mad:

DarkLink
04-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Damn. I thought this thread was going to either be about drinking during games or having sex during games.

Should we be worried that those were your first thoughts:p?

L192837465
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM

The latter is incredibly difficult. Both the game and the activity take a lot of concentration, and being distracted effects one or the other (or both).

Having said that, it's incredibly fun.

LoverzCry
04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
We do that every once in a while if we don't have enough time to finish our game persay, but I do get chafed when people just "quit" the game halfway through for, in my opinion, no reason.

KenStorm989
04-08-2010, 01:02 AM
it really should be a mutual descision...If you're clearly beat and have no hope of winning or drawing and there are other people waiting for the table, i dont se why you cant just ask your opponent if he would mind if you concided...

BUT i can also see how someone quitting every game could get frustraited...i really think the best way to go about things is to ask your opponent, if you both agree to quit then its good sportsman ship...if you want to quit and he wants to keep playing you keep playing...and asking was good sportsmanship...but remember if you're playing orks, even if you quit you never lose...our codex says so

MC Tic Tac
04-08-2010, 07:47 AM
As long as you're nice about it you should be fine.

Sadly a guy in my club is starting to get a bad rep for throwing all his toys out of the pram at the moment.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I CAST THREAD NECROMANCY!

So I was playing AdamHArry yesterday, 1500pts (That ones for you TastyTaste!) And around turn 4 I called the game. We were playing one of the WGC missions (the centre objective) and due to a couple of misplays on my part (and his bringing a swarmlord at 1500pts) I knew there was no hope to pull it out. Good thing AdamHarry is an awesome guy, because if he whined about not getting to roll his 27 twin linked shots or his init 6 bull**** power attacks to finnish off my army I would have flipped teh table. (That would have hurt him more than me;) He has a beautifully fully painted army, and mine are lucky to be assembled!)

Like I said before, Games are supposed to be fun for both, and I hope that he had a little fun! I had some fun throwing my jump pack dudes into his huge mess of guys then pushing them all off the objective ;)

chromedog
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I have no problem with conceding.

If the game is going so badly that I can't even get a draw result - or my opponent is exalting in prolonging the agony, I'll concede. No point playing if it's only going to be fun for one of us. Smacks more of a "one shake is fine, more is masturbation" to me.

My younger clubmates will concede if they can't win - they aren't interested in draws - it's like the outcome cannot exist for them, you either win or you lose.

Lockark
08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't like quieting games early, and I think it's kinda lame when a player quites a game because they feel they can't win anymore. (When they could clearly keep playing for the draw.)

Most of my friends feel the same way.

Win or Lose I find a game more rewarding if it's played all the way threw. And trust me. I get my good share of losing. But I still find it most rewarding to play threw and try to play for the draw at least. Make my opponent work for his victory.

Duke
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I hat quieting so much I don't even know how to spell quite!

But I do know that you can't spell awesome without me!

Lol

Duke

the jeske
08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
always a viable tactic to use . if its the first day of the tournament and you play some tough guy and have small chance to win , its good to leave the main tournament and play in some side events or switch to WFB . this way he gets fewer small points for you + some people get buys meaning unlike the normal 20+ they get only 17/0.

MajorSoB
08-09-2010, 12:35 AM
First off let's remind ourselves that this is just a game, like many people pointed out its just an activity that we do for fun and enjoyment. That being said...

Yes, I have conceded games and I have had my opponent concede as well. If time allows I enjoy playing the game out but if other factors are involved that prevents the game from being played to the end, so be it we end early. As long as both players are in agreement, I don't see any breech of educate if you end the game early.

Now I admit there are times that I should have bowed out early but didn't. I can remember playing a particularly annoying player who was talking smack about his skills. I played the game out when I faced him, not because there was any question of who was winning, but I enjoyed beating him silly, and didn't want to hear later " If I only had one more turn...". If that makes me a bad person so be it and I would do the same again.

Basically what this whole thread about can be summed up in two simple rules ( as can most threads here.) Rule #1, it's only a game. Rule #2, don't be a dick. Rule #3, see rules 1 and 2.

erwos
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
If we're playing objectives, it's turn 5 or 6, you just wiped my last troops choice off the board while you're sitting on two objectives, and I have no realistic way of killing them - I'm going to concede. There's just no point wasting our time playing out a game that you've already won. I've done this a couple times, and there were no hard feelings, just grins and handshakes.

Now, if you're going to rage-quit on turn 2 because someone just killed a couple of your favorite tanks, yeah, that's a problem.

Declining a game because you're terrified of the other guy's army as he starts deploying it? With a very few exceptions, I don't think that's good sportsmanship. Besides, you often learn more from losing than winning...

MarneusCalgar
08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Basically what this whole thread about can be summed up in two simple rules ( as can most threads here.) Rule #1, it's only a game. Rule #2, don't be a dick. Rule #3, see rules 1 and 2.

I really agree with you!!

Well, I donīt really know how is the medium warhammer player on UK and USA, but I do know how spanish players like me are.

I donīt really mind tapping on the table while playing, as Major told, this is just a game, boys, only an entertainment produced to fill our leisure time...

Either in saxon forums or spanish ones, I see more often than desirable a lot of people who seem to make this miniature game their way and reason to live...

BlindGunn
08-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I see nothing wrong with "tapping out" in a friendly game. Usually, I'll do that if I'm so lost, it's just a mop-up after the fact or if I detect my opponent is getting too depressed or distressed. I usually promote playing to the bitter end for experience and offer advice if I can, but sometimes it's just better to say enough is enough.

In tournaments - it's a harder call. You want to play to the end so that you and your opponent get the full points that are deserved. On the other hand, you can be against an opponent who rubs you the wrong way so badly, you just have to conceed or you'll start a situation that will get out of control. In all my years of playing, I think I've only called a game once for that reason. Tourny organizer was not pleased with me for conceeding as it threw off his scoring system. Told him my opponent won max points as I wouldn't have an army left in 2 turns. Then the organizer started getting reports from the character's other opponents. Needless to say - the character got no sportsmanship scores that day and lost top spot.

Count Fenring
08-15-2010, 01:27 AM
I started in this hobby by reading the novels well before I knew what a table top game even was. So I greatly enjoy the story.

You will have an outstanding (and sudden) victory over me under the following conditions:

*You are a dice rolling junkie right off a Nevada slot machine floor.

*I ask what your army's history/background (if any) is and you say "I just roll dice dude". You win!

*You can't help yourself by suggesting min/max ways to make my army more uber.

*You keep referencing your army composition to the current crop of GT zombie player lists.

*I tell you I brought a themed list, then you whip out your maxed "omgdoomzorz" list...you win, congrats!

*I don't believe in proxies (especially mid-game)...don't ask, don't tell. You don't own it, you don't play it. If I were a lowly guard trooper and we were about to die, I can't just look to my other lowly mate and say "you are now commissar Yarrick, shazzamm!". If you insist on it, you win.

*Please bathe before showing up to sit all day in your stink at the game store (just thought I would put that out there)

*If during play, you start subconsciously picking your nose/zits/scabs ( I have seen this) while in the company of other humans...don't be alarmed as I pack up and leave. Also, don't ever touch my models or extend your hand for a shake. Instead, seek help out of the gaming store, or join grandfather nurgle or something:D

*Did I mention bathing?

*The moment you make my game un-fun by pushing the rules into "theoryhammer" to gain an advantage, I am going to interrupt what you are doing and roll a d6 right in front of your face. On a roll of 1up, you win. I will even re-roll for you :p

Partial joking aside, the guys I usually play with are into the depth/story of the game. We don't actually role play (most don't), but we keep to the spirit of the game. We can be competitive, but if you want high rolling type competitive, Nevada is -----> way.

TSINI
08-15-2010, 06:05 AM
I started in this hobby by reading the novels well before I knew what a table top game even was. So I greatly enjoy the story.

You will have an outstanding (and sudden) victory over me under the following conditions:

*You are a dice rolling junkie right off a Nevada slot machine floor.

*I ask what your army's history/background (if any) is and you say "I just roll dice dude". You win!

*You can't help yourself by suggesting min/max ways to make my army more uber.

*You keep referencing your army composition to the current crop of GT zombie player lists.

*I tell you I brought a themed list, then you whip out your maxed "omgdoomzorz" list...you win, congrats!

*I don't believe in proxies (especially mid-game)...don't ask, don't tell. You don't own it, you don't play it. If I were a lowly guard trooper and we were about to die, I can't just look to my other lowly mate and say "you are now commissar Yarrick, shazzamm!". If you insist on it, you win.

*Please bathe before showing up to sit all day in your stink at the game store (just thought I would put that out there)

*If during play, you start subconsciously picking your nose/zits/scabs ( I have seen this) while in the company of other humans...don't be alarmed as I pack up and leave. Also, don't ever touch my models or extend your hand for a shake. Instead, seek help out of the gaming store, or join grandfather nurgle or something:D

*Did I mention bathing?

*The moment you make my game un-fun by pushing the rules into "theoryhammer" to gain an advantage, I am going to interrupt what you are doing and roll a d6 right in front of your face. On a roll of 1up, you win. I will even re-roll for you :p

Partial joking aside, the guys I usually play with are into the depth/story of the game. We don't actually role play (most don't), but we keep to the spirit of the game. We can be competitive, but if you want high rolling type competitive, Nevada is -----> way.

I Absolutely agree!!

especialy the hygiene points!!

fluffless/souless armies are the bane of my gaming life :D

Weafwolf
08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
In general, if someone wants to concede a game when it becomes clear that he can't challenge the objectives I already have in hand, fine. What I don't like is the cranky, whiny, quitter sort of concession. If your Landraider died on turn one and you failed a bunch of saves, or your Terminator squad scattered off of the table on turn 2, don't ***** and moan and act as though you just got screwed over by God again, then take your ball and go home. And don't quit when you lose the roll-off over the cover save you thought you got and then lose that Landraider as a reslt. You know, the "fine, you win" handshake on turn 2 that implies your opponent cheated and therefore can't take any joy in his victory. Personally, I'm trying to accept bad luck with more equanimity so that I don't ruin a game for my opponent by sulking over it. Maybe, like me, that guy only gets to play once a month or so and might really enjoy the warm feeling of a dominant game until he gets to play again.

Bedroom General
08-17-2010, 03:33 AM
My playing group find on occasion, that its possible to see the endgame like in chess. One player will sometimes concede in this situation as he can see no way to avoid losing. To my mind this is just logical and I won't get upset even if I'm winning. I rarely tap though, as I don't play very often, and even if I'm being tabled. As in a footdar debacle...Bloody unexpected multi-player game,,sigh! I tend to keep going, setting myself pathetic "objectives" to give me something to focus on, even if its just surviving the game.
Tabled by turn four with that footdar list:eek:

Duke
08-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I have to agree with most oF the above, though I don't mind an "unthemed list" it only bugs me if the list is unthemed, and the guy/gal is a total jerk

Duke

Galadren
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I've tapped before, but it's usually only if the game is a total lost cause, and only in friendly games. Tournaments I'll fight to the death no matter what. Honestly, if it's to the point where you've clearly lost the game by turn 3 (And there are games where it does happen. IG Leafblower, for example), the loser is not going to be having fun and the winner shouldn't want to force his opponent to go through it if they don't want to.

HsojVvad
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Well there is nothing wrong in tapping in turn 2, that is, if you play another game. If you only playing one game and then your opponent taps on turn 2 for bad rolls or what ever, that is bad. But if he sees no point in playing that game, and wants to start over for a new game, then why not. You are still playing a game and one the first one.

erwos
08-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Well there is nothing wrong in tapping in turn 2, that is, if you play another game. If you only playing one game and then your opponent taps on turn 2 for bad rolls or what ever, that is bad. But if he sees no point in playing that game, and wants to start over for a new game, then why not. You are still playing a game and one the first one.
It smacks of "no, wait, I want a redo" when you immediately start playing a new game. That's not good sportsmanship. At least play the game out to a reasonable conclusion before starting a new one.

Melissia
08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
If someone wants to concede defeat, I have no issue with that. If I'm running out of time, I'll do it myself. Or if the other person is being a sexist twit or some other kind of *******.

BlindGunn
08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
It smacks of "no, wait, I want a redo" when you immediately start playing a new game. That's not good sportsmanship. At least play the game out to a reasonable conclusion before starting a new one.
It really depends on the circumstances.

If you're doing a friendly game, trying out a new list or tactic and/or something totally unexpected and bizzare happens, then sometimes there isn't any real point in continuing.

(My best example of this was an old Fantasy 4th or 5th edition battle where my Empire General got killed 1st turn, before any movement, and his Griffon Rampaged through my own ranks and by the time all the panic and terror tests were done - I had 1 cannon and 1 unit of 5 lonely knights facing off against 2000 points of Lizards...) (We had a 2nd game that night!) ;)

I agree - the rules and armies have improved so much this sort of "All Or Nothing" doesn't happen often (Remember the Virus Bombs from ages long ago?). But I would rather let an opponent walk away and/or play a second game than force them to do something they don't want to do. It ruins the fun for me too if I have to listen to them complain the entire time.

Me? Usually I would try to see what those knights and cannon could do to restore honor (playing for the sake of a story), but if time is short, I'll go for the second game right away.

(I think we actually tried to continue that Fantasy game, but if I recall correctly, the cannon misfired on it's next shot and exploded while the knights failed a fear or terror test and wouldn't recover before they ran off the board. We were both crying, we were laughing so hard. It was a campaign game which sucked for me, but we still played a second battle as a stand-alone "for the fun of it" game and had a great time.)

ctrich77
08-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I have seen many players come back from almost sure defeat. But if you feel you can't or aren't good enough to come back then throw in the towel that just makes me feel like I'm the strait out better player. I have no problem with it I wouldn't but if you must you must.

HsojVvad
08-18-2010, 02:13 PM

That is true, but if both parties can see it is useless to continue, then why not start a new game? That is if the person is not doing a "no, wait, I want a redo" and really just wants to play for fun and not win.

Gop
09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm OK with scooping. Sometimes you just want to make the pain stop. I remember one tourney game when I was using a fairly soft marines list vs a particularly horrible Nidzilla list. I couldn't seem to get through most of the T6 stuff, had no objectives (because I had no scoring units left). That's a good time to scoop in my book :rolleyes: