PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels a thought (Rant)

Maugatar
03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
I was reaing an old copy of White Dwarf last night, specificallly the white dwarf from the last blolod angels codex release, from that twilight era when the codex's were...well ... rubbish. I must say how little effort went into it.

Here we have a new army and the players come along and go "oh just used all the models i had" I looked at the army selection and red more into the topic, a couple of things striuck me (brace yourself this may be a long one)

Oh Mr Gav Thorpe you naughty naughty boy, here he is in white dwarf openly admitting his knowledge of Bloods angels is low. WHy the ruddy bly did this man write the codex, a codex which i own and wiill happily say should have just been a free download PDF. I mean teh codex released in white dwarf had more detail.

The Army selection in teh inaugral battle report for crying out load appart from teh special characters it was a vanilla spacemarine army. Now finally we have a codex that actually pics us fans up by the lapels slaps us around the face a few times, with an armoured gauntlet and bellows.

"SEE YOU JIMMY (why i've chosn a faux scottish accent fro a codex i will never know)
WE ARE DIFFERENT CHECK OU MY GOLDEN ARMOUR ANGEL WINGED GOODNESS"

A long time coming says I

Here endeth the Rant

Lord Azaghul
03-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Oh Mr Gav Thorpe

In best mechanics voice

Well there's your problem.

Gav Thorpe is singledhandily responsible for the dire state of fantasy - I don't want him touching a damn thing anymore.

gwensdad
03-30-2010, 09:16 AM
In best mechanics voice

Well there's your problem.

Adam and Jaime* are Mechanium? It makes soooo much sense now....

*"Mythbusters" if you didn't know

Lord Azaghul
03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Adam and Jaime* are Mechanium? It makes soooo much sense now....

*"Mythbusters" if you didn't know

Well Jamie is at least! Adams still a little rambuncious

eagleboy7259
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Are you talking about the previous pdf codex or that tiny thing that was completely dependent upon the space marine codex?

I can't say that I was around when they had that Angels of Death book for Blood Angels and Dark Angels, but I jumped into that hobby right around that time during 3rd ed. Personally I think that book was inline with the other marine books at the time, they were all basically treated as Vanilla Marines Plus. If you look at the timeline 3rd ed came out in 1997, the Space Marines Codex was in Oct 1998, and the Blood Angels were first off the line in Dec 1998. Dark Angels hit in May 1999, Space Wolves April 2000, and Armageddon for Salamanders and Black Templars in August 2000.

So little effort? Well assuming it was in production at the same time as the Marine codex was being dropped they only had 2ish months to do anything tweaking wise with the book and I feel like they did a decent job. At the time of its drop there were only two codexes out that gave players the option not the use the lists in the 3rd ed rulebook so compared with what anyone else had it was new, shiny, and awesome. The codex survived well into to 4th edition and could still hold its own against many things. With everything going down at GW at that time I'm surprised the book turned out as well as it did.

If you're trying to compare that to DA, Wolves, or Armageddon that was around at the time, for popping out almost a year later DA had very little content wise over the BA dex. Idk just something to consider...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_(Warhammer_40,000)

Maugatar
03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
It was around the time of 3rd ed tht teh codex's were rushed out compared to the hallowed tomes of second ed, the new codex's should have been the standard for as long as they were. Whilst i am greatful for them don't get me wrong rules wise they were great, fluff wise was where they suffered, the abre bone of rules was missing the meat of depth of character.

As for Gav Thorpe, the fact that he has left GW may not be seen as a bad thing.

eagleboy7259
03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Completely agree, I don't thing the codex really even touched anywhere near where it should have on the background. I think the Codex Astartes series was the first time I had even heard of Baal, Sangiunus' life, or any of that.

I don't get the Gav hate tho... he was kind of a rules pioneer back in the day, along with Chambers and a whole bunch of those guys whose crazy ideas brought me into the game. I guess if it didn't show in the books White Dwarf was where it was at, it as so much more a magazine and so much less the pretty picture catalog that it has become.

Gir
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I was reaing an old copy of White Dwarf last night, specificallly the white dwarf from the last blolod angels codex release, from that twilight era when the codex's were...well ... rubbish. I must say how little effort went into it.

Here we have a new army and the players come along and go "oh just used all the models i had" I looked at the army selection and red more into the topic, a couple of things striuck me (brace yourself this may be a long one)

Oh Mr Gav Thorpe you naughty naughty boy, here he is in white dwarf openly admitting his knowledge of Bloods angels is low. WHy the ruddy bly did this man write the codex, a codex which i own and wiill happily say should have just been a free download PDF. I mean teh codex released in white dwarf had more detail.

The Army selection in teh inaugral battle report for crying out load appart from teh special characters it was a vanilla spacemarine army. Now finally we have a codex that actually pics us fans up by the lapels slaps us around the face a few times, with an armoured gauntlet and bellows.

"SEE YOU JIMMY (why i've chosn a faux scottish accent fro a codex i will never know)
WE ARE DIFFERENT CHECK OU MY GOLDEN ARMOUR ANGEL WINGED GOODNESS"

A long time coming says I

Here endeth the Rant

Are you seriously complaining about a 12 year old, twice out of date codex?

RocketRollRebel
03-30-2010, 10:09 PM
yeah dude, maybe I'm not getting it or miss understanding you but what codex are you complaining about? the 3rd ed one was a terror in 3rd ed, the PDF was "meh" but the new one sounds pretty awesome. Not crap, not op, not lacking in fluff. Just right :)

The other guy
03-31-2010, 03:52 AM
as a nid player, im learning that new codexes bring changes.
Some good (warriors as troops, hormagaunts cheap etc)
Some bad (no eternal warrior, no help in assaulting cover etc)
The codex changes the army. You have to get used to this. I wish the new nid codex had all the good things without any of the bad bits, but its not going to happen.

SO the new B.Angels codex is not like the old one.
You have 3 choices -
1 - Play it anyway, find the tricks. Fall in love with your new codex (and start ranting again in 6 years when the next one comes out)
2 - Dont play it. Find a new army, fall in love with that (and start ranting again in 3 years when they change that)
3- Play B. Angels but hate playing with them, and annoy all your opponents for the next 6years about how they are not like they were etc. Continue ranting in 6years that the next codex is still not as good as the one from 3rd ed.

Your choice. If you choice option 1 or 2, then i would love to play a game against you at some point. If you choose option 3, then i hope u dont play near me.