PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf 92 - Battletome Seraphon

AdamHarry
10-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Space Lizards Return!
via GamesTrust.de (http://www.gamestrust.de/news,games-workshop-bilder-wd-92-cover-tidewall-battletome-horus-heresy,id46772.html) 10-27-2015

16213 16214
16215 16216
16217 16218
16219 16220

Eldar / Tau Pics in other thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?60777-White-Dwarf-92-10-27-2015-pics&p=518154#post518154) to keep AoS / 40k in their respective rumor threads.

Mr Mystery
10-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Ta muchly!

I shall add it to my shopping list.

Mr Mystery
10-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Translation of the back page....

'Make sure you do not miss the next issue of White Dwarf, a fantastic gift!'

Translated via Google Translate, so may not be 100% accurate.

Erik Setzer
10-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Might have to get Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen - AoS Edition just so I can see if they really explain what the heck is going on with the setting. Something somewhere has to explain what happened.

Disappointing, though, that they're just keeping the line as-is, when the background for Space Lizards sounds like they should actually be using their space gizmos rather than clubs and axes and blow darts. That tech is referenced in End Times, and AoS has already gone wild with the Sigmarines being modified superhumans that teleport into battle ("ride the lightning"). Why not give the children of the Slann all the tech they had? It's a chance to show the new direction of the setting, but... meh.

Kirsten
10-27-2015, 10:03 AM
well making the Warhammer line compatible with Age of Sigmar is no bad thing

Al Shut
10-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Translation of the back page....

'Make sure you do not miss the next issue of White Dwarf, a fantastic gift!'

Translated via Google Translate, so may not be 100% accurate.

To be 100% accurate

In the next issue of White Dwarf

A fantastic present!

Make sure you don't miss it (the present)

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Kinda surprising Skinks are staying Skinks while some of the game's names are getting coolified. To me, Skinks will always be those local lizards that get stuck in coke cans.

Edit: When Elves become Aelfs, Dwarves become Duardin and Orcs Orruks, it's kinda funny that there's a sub-species still named after a common family of lizards.

Mr Mystery
10-27-2015, 01:42 PM
I guess it's a specific enough use of an otherwise generic word?

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Might have to get Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen - AoS Edition just so I can see if they really explain what the heck is going on with the setting. Something somewhere has to explain what happened.

Disappointing, though, that they're just keeping the line as-is, when the background for Space Lizards sounds like they should actually be using their space gizmos rather than clubs and axes and blow darts. That tech is referenced in End Times, and AoS has already gone wild with the Sigmarines being modified superhumans that teleport into battle ("ride the lightning"). Why not give the children of the Slann all the tech they had? It's a chance to show the new direction of the setting, but... meh.

Yeah, was kinda hoping for a necron monolith type thing but aztec and lizardy. Bit boring, hope the other faction reboots aren't as uninspired.

Kirsten
10-27-2015, 03:45 PM
well there is no reason to assume this is it. this book makes the current forces up to date. I am sure there will be new stuff added in future. I think it is a good thing that people's existing armies aren't being invalidated.

Erik Setzer
10-28-2015, 08:47 AM
well there is no reason to assume this is it. this book makes the current forces up to date. I am sure there will be new stuff added in future. I think it is a good thing that people's existing armies aren't being invalidated.

They were already up to date, and I'd bet this only adds some formations to the existing PDF. (Those PDFs were one right move they made with AoS.)

Just seems odd... If they have the Lizardmen/Seraphon in the fluff and artwork using the techno-magic they should definitely have access to (and be using more than ever), then there's a weird disconnect between story and models. Otherwise, they have to hold them back from their full potential in the story. Not really ideal.

I'd love to see more techno-magic stuff. If you're going to just chuck out anything that might be construed as generic fantasy, why keep Lizardmen as Lizard-men riding dinosaurs with an Aztec them using Aztec weapons? Most of that is cool, but break out the lasers, the blasters, the lightning guns, more wild creations designed by the Old Ones to take on their enemies. Sigmar's got a bloody space station wrapped around a planetary core, there's no reason the guys who used to have warp gates can't have some crazy gadgets and gizmos.

Not meaning to "bash" them here, just feels like a lost - or seriously mistimed - opportunity.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Yeah I agree totally with that. I hope the other reboots aren't as boring. I really think they should of released kits for other factions alongside the stormcasts and khorne models just to give everyone something, even if it was one box per faction - something to give them a taste of the new game. I

Kirsten
10-28-2015, 02:10 PM
they were only up to date as a get you by pdf, like everything else. this is a new edition army book, with boxes updated to round bases. there will be new releases in future and I am sure there will be new toys for them.

Mr Mystery
10-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

On one hand as Kirsten points out, it is important that existing collections are not invalidated.

On the other, new toys are always appreciated, and more fantastical stuff rarely miss the mark.

However.....Lizardseraphonmen were updated only a couple of years ago at most. And out of that, they got served quite nicely. Bastiloson, Carnosaur/Troglodon, Ripperdactyls/Terradon, Skin Priest, and I think, but don't quote me on it, Temple Guard - it's hard to check right now as most of their kits are down from the GW Site.

As for the technological terrors - well, I'm not reading about those in the background. Their main starring turn has been in Under the Black Thumb, and other than now being Daemons, they're still recognisably Lizardmen. Same weapons, same tactics, same bowel-loosening affect upon Skaven.

To add technological weapons to what remains a Fantasy game is bloody hard to pull off. Currently, Lizardmen pull it off fairly well. The Bastilodon clearly has a stripped down Laser Weapon, but it's design fits.

The Skinks and Saurus, despite now being Daemonic, are the same species rescued from The World That Was, so likely aren't mentally equipped for souped up new toys - after all, there must be a reason Saurus were bred to be close combat monsters by The Old Ones. It's likely beyond the concept or even ability of the Slaan to evolve them further.

Erik Setzer
10-29-2015, 09:49 AM
GW pulled off the technology-in-a-fantasy-setting before. And there's also the fact that Sigmar built what's basically a space station around a planetary core. Plus the old line that any science advanced enough would be indistinguishable from magic.

The Lizardmen escaped the destruction of the world using starships, and they had a lot of technological stuff stashed around. So why not use it? And some of their "magic" is almost certainly just technology that people don't understand and utilizes the Warp (aka "magic"). Isn't there a Saurus character running around with what's basically a power fist?

I don't think the whole army should be running around with ray-guns and stuff, but something like special kit for characters would be good, and they could replace the horrendous "resin" models (great sculpts, it's the material that's awful) with new plastic clampacks at the same time.

For a "miniatures company" (yes, I know, that's not accurate, but let's roll with it), it seems odd to release a book to go with a repacking of stuff, with no new miniatures released. I guess the thinking is that the book will help sell some of the repackaged stuff that wouldn't have otherwise been notable? Actually, I should stop trying to contemplate their moves from a sane marketing standpoint, that's long been folly. :P

I suppose people can at least convert their own stuff. So there's that, at least.

Mr Mystery
10-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Kroq-Gar has a Goa'uld hand device type thing.

One thing about the Slaan - they've sure got the toys, but it's not especially apparent they know how to use them. 1st Gen are gone after all.

Erik Setzer
10-29-2015, 10:02 AM
It's been a few hundred years since the world blew up and the Lizardmen seem to have evolved (hence the Seraphon). You'd think they might have sent out a distress call, too, so someone at some point is likely to show up and take over the show again and remind them who they are.

Heck, I'm still rolling with my pet theory that the Slann are behind all these "realms" that seem to be chunks of the old world infused with specific "winds of magic" and inhabited by sort-of-copies of the races of the old world, only evolved well beyond where they should have been, and that's how some of them like the "Duardin" know how to make miniature warp portals ("realmgates").

Mr Mystery
10-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Well that's interesting....

Gracing the front cover of this week's White Dwarf are the Seraphon, the children of the old ones. Their eternal spirits summoned by the memories of their Slann masters, they now do battle in the Mortal Realms, seeking the bring about the end of Chaos once and for all

So actual proper Daemons now - beings of magic. Explains why they've not evolved or updated their technology. They're memories of the Slann given form.

Erik Setzer
10-30-2015, 07:32 AM
So actual proper Daemons now - beings of magic. Explains why they've not evolved or updated their technology. They're memories of the Slann given form.

That doesn't really make sense... If the Slann are so powerful they can give physical form to "memories"*, then why wouldn't they upgrade them as well? why not get involved with the heavier stuff? Especially as those guys they're bringing back the "memories" of failed to stop the calamity that befell the old world (BARELY stopping the Skaven's attempts, though losing a lot in the process... if Skaven weren't so prone to failure, it's likely they would have destroyed the world before Chaos proper could).

*And if the Slann are capable of bringing people back "from the dead" (except didn't they escape?), then I'm going to keep going with the theory of the Slann trying to remake the old world with less than perfect results in copying the world-that-was.

Mr Mystery
10-30-2015, 07:43 AM
Well, you can't have a memory of a Lightsaber if you're not aware of them as a concept.

Path Walker
10-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Well that's interesting....

As Daemons are, to some extent, the will of the Gods made manifest, does that mean Slann are like Gods now? Interesting, I do want to read this tome now!

Mr Mystery
10-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Certainly suggestive of that - which also calls into question just how powerful are the Chaos Gods now?

Wherever and Whatever the Mortal Realms are - has their existence levelled the playing field some?

Trojan66
10-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Am I the only one who's reading this and thinking...for Jesus sake ! Space dinosaurs !
I am not 7 years old, I play warhammer not 40k, I don't need my lizardmen to turn in to daemons from space.
It's so Juvenal and unimaginative. In true top gear fashion I would like to bet all my hair that AOS will morph
Into 40k within 2 years and that the figure range will just become one with one set of rules.
It's all so disappointing ...just me ?

Ps, check out my eBay account for lizardmen army up for sale !

Mr Mystery
10-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Seemingly so.

Now, off you pop back under your bridge to work on your spelling, grammar and sentence structuring.

As for Space Dinosaurs....

As a committed Fortean and as such a regular reader of Fortean Times, that's actually pretty cool. You see, there's numerous examples of Mayan, Incan and Aztec art which many suggest shows visitors from space. You may have heard of the Nazca Lines - massive doodles in the desert only visible from above. Yeah, there's those that claim they were drawn for said visitors to see.

So a race with a heavy pre-Colombian aesthetic becoming Space Daemons is actually pretty cool.

And if still not convinced? Why not nip back to the old books - as in the first Warhammer ones. There you'll find The Slann. When they were, you guessed it, Space Frogs, albeit regressed to a primitive level.

http://www.solegends.com/citc/c32slannc3.jpg

They were in Bloodbowl too.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-13aqb2TXvbo/VCqOpLpZSPI/AAAAAAAACzM/Bsa431Ak9oo/s1600/Team%2B29.09.14.JPG

And 40k.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YeLW7zVw5pg/Ug088OWCdWI/AAAAAAAACtk/04XmlcOUl6Q/s1600/Space+slann.jpg

And some rode Cold Ones.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/z/lQYAAOSw3ydV3DaJ/$_35.JPG

Trojan66
10-31-2015, 02:10 AM
And there's his answer to every post daring to be negative regarding GW . Rude and abusive as always.
But then I forget , this blog belongs to the mighty mystery doesn't it.
Sorry to have tried to share my frustrations over the direction our game has gone...I won't bother again.
Spelling ok for you sir ?

Cutter
11-02-2015, 02:53 AM
Ta muchly!

I shall add it to my shopping list.

Anyone else bothering with Battletome STRAP-ON or just Mr. E?

Kirsten
11-02-2015, 06:19 AM
I might get the Seraphon book, I am curious to see what their background is like now, and I fancied a giant dinosaur army for a while. loads of skinks with all their big beasties, and a small number of mounted saurus maybe