PDA

View Full Version : Most popular 40K units

Chris Kinison
10-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Whats everyones most popular 40K units? Like top 5 or 10 let me know what you think.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-18-2015, 07:47 PM
As a Chaos Marines guy, my favorite unit in terms of fluff/modeling, I really dig the standard Chaos Marines troops unit - modeling them as an individualistic pack of super-soldier-barbarians is really fun. That was even more so when Bolter, pistol and close combat weapon were the default equipment, so I could model them with a mess of guns and knives without worrying about making them confusing from a WYSIWYG standpoint. To be fair, I've made a decent chunk of models that don't fit any rules, but there's something oddly satisfying about model a Codex-compliant unit.

In terms of rules would be Obliterators, on account of their incredible flexibility. Shoot whatever you want at whoever you want. Kinda fun to model, too.

Arkhan Land
10-18-2015, 09:20 PM
rattling snipers, I always try and take them if I can. some of the first models I bought when I was real real young, some of my favorite in terms of fluff as theyre a bunch of pipe-weed-smoking-gambling-mischeif-causers. I approve of this.

Proximus
10-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Deathwing Knights. These Guys are the fearless dragon slayers from myths, and they also really like to bully weaker troops around. They can take down a full 10-man Tactical Squad or a Carnifex with no problems, and are also capable of going toe-to-toe with, say, a Lord of Skulls. Plus, I love the models right out of the box. I also converted a unit of DW Knights from Cataphractii models, which looks pretty nice.

Kirsten
10-19-2015, 05:08 AM
tactical squads, iconic, versatile, awesome

carnifexes, love all the models, and it is a behemoth that smashes through absolutely everything in its' way

crisis suits, battlesuits with all manner of funky weapons, what's not to like?

rangers, I love all snipers, and rangers are the best, so...

leman russes, I love all tanks, leman russes look awesome, loads of variants, all manner of guns.

Path Walker
10-19-2015, 05:29 AM
My favourite units

1. Ork Boyz - Massive mobs of hulking brutes with 4 attacks on the charge, I've gotten to roll 120 attacks with them before and timed right, they can be devestating.
2. Lootas - If you're lucky, a mob of 10 Lootas can be the most effective thing in the game with 30 shots, if you're unlucky (as I usually am) then you won't get anything like that most of the time, still, worth it for that hilarious swing where they can either be massively powerful or a damp squib, the look on your opponents face when you roll for shots you're getting is always worth it.
3. Astartes Tactical Squad - A classic, changed a bit over the years with more and more options but its basically the same as it ever was, 10 Space Marines, a Heavy Weapon and a Special Weapon, add in a close combat equipped champion and you have a squad that can take on most of what the galaxy can throw at it.
4. Imperial Knight - I've always been a sucker for the Knights, when I started in the hobby, the Knights for Epic were all over White Dwarf, I remember the Slanessh Knights being brand new and devouring their story especially. After 20 years of waiting, finally getting them in games of 40k is amazing, I try not to use it too often as it changes the game massively, but I love the look they've given it.
5. Sydonian Dragoon - I love the look of it, the massive striding machine with a knight with a lance is just so 40k to me, the slaved servitor pilot really just adds to it. The fluff that they're near perfect perpetual motion machines that they can't let stop for fear of them not starting again is really great and fits the forces of Mars perfectly.

YorkNecromancer
10-19-2015, 05:44 AM
1 - Deathwatch Sternguard - so many modelling possibilities
2 - Ogryns - Bob Olley's originals are just great, and the new plastics finally get it right. An iconic unit that's just 100% pure awesome.
3 - Marine Dreadnoughts (any flavour) - Because they're what got me into 40K in the first place.
4 - Imperial Heavy Weapons (any flavour except mortar) - because they all look great.
5 - Servitors (any flavour, but especially the old-school Jes Goodwin ones from 1993) - because there can never be enough cyborgs in sci-fi for my tastes.

Mr Mystery
10-19-2015, 05:52 AM
1. Another vote for Ork Boyz. Intergalactic, semi-fungus Football 'Ooligans. Seriously, what's not to like?

2. Ghostkeel. Absolutely fantastic model. A joy to build, looks ace, and fights ace. Luvverly

3. Dark Reapers. Always my favourite Aspect, ever since I was a nipper. There's just something about them. They're not speedy and graceful like other Eldar units. Slow and ponderous by comparison. Just like Death.

4. Imperial Guard Infantry Platoon. See that? That's my squad that is. And it outnumbers your army on it's own, it does. Now, EAT MASS LASFIRE...pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew....

5. Nightscythe. Flying teleporting electrifying Dedicated Transport. ACE CAKES!

Wolfshade
10-19-2015, 03:30 PM
1. The iconic tactical squad, flamer missile launcher combo. Flexible and very easy to over look.

2. Death company. Crazed by the visions of their primarch's death. On the charge with a chaplain, oh yes. Oh and of course 30 of them...

3. Ork Boyz.

4. Grey Knight Terminators - Iconic deamon hunters.

5. Dark Reapers

Alaric
10-19-2015, 04:25 PM
5. SM Scouts
4. GK Dreadknight
3. Fire Raptor
2. Eldar. all of em, specially the fw units
1. Inquisitors.

completeHook
10-19-2015, 04:53 PM
There is a lot you can do with mortars

Shot for your viewing enjoyment in smartphone crap-o-rama

daboarder
10-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Blood angel jump infantry

Chaos Terminators and Zombies

Tyranids (just ALL OF EM)

Kaptain Badrukk
10-19-2015, 05:47 PM
1: Flash Gitz, although I am obviously biased.
Seriously though, such a great kit, and brill in game once you have the hang of them.
2: Inquisitors + retinue
Fun in general, for all hobby aspects.
3: Saint Celestine
Great mini, great BG, Great rules.
4: Ork Nobz
Oodles of personality, kit takes parts from across the ork range, powerhouse in game.
5: Tempestus Scions
Converter's wet dream of a kit, completely awesome when made following the instructions, and a fun unit to put to use on the table.
Honourable mention, and soon to take their place on here no doubt, the new Firewarrior kit.
So many components, and a 50/50 gender split!

Gamgee
10-19-2015, 09:14 PM
1. Riptides
2. Y'vahrah
3. XV8
4. XV88
5. Skyray's

Path Walker
10-20-2015, 02:29 AM
Reading everyone elses there are tons more I would have added but forgot about, choosing 5 is hard!

Mr Mystery
10-20-2015, 09:32 AM
6. War Walkers. Dunno why, I just really like them.

7. Pretty much any Dreadnought.

8. Not 40k, but Warhammer. Gobbos of any stripe. Little green blighters are so much fun!

Path Walker
10-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Goblin Fanatics! The Doom Diver! Shokk Attack Gun! So many good greenskin units!

Captain Bubonicus
10-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Goblin Fanatics! The Doom Diver! Shokk Attack Gun! So many good greenskin units!

Ah, and the good ol' Madboyz. Still have a mob of Madboyz capering about in my army!

Tulak Hord
10-21-2015, 06:24 AM
Some of these more for their form rather than function (easy to guess which is which):

10. Chaos Raptors (old and new)
9. Lictor and Genestealers with feeder tendril head and 4x humanoid arms (no scything talons)
8. Nephilim Jetfighter
7. SoB Exorcist
6. Ulrik the Slayer
5. Toxicrene
4. Skitarii Rangers and Vanguards
3. Kataphrons
2. AdMech Kastelan Robots & Datasmith
1. Tech-Priest Dominus

Jamie Garrett
10-21-2015, 06:49 AM
1. At the moment it's the Cybernetica Cohort form the Ad Mech codex. Such an awesome formation, and my opponents are a little wary shooting big *** guns at them, just in case it bounces back!
2 Forgeworld Deredeo Dreadnought. easily the best dreadnought, rules wise. Just keep it out of close combat and you're fine. Flyers avoid this dread like the plague.
3. Forgeworld Sicarian Tank. Just the best mid-sized tank available for the Astartes. Flyers crap there pants when this is around as well.
4. Marine Centurions. Used right, these little beauties can really cause havoc. I have 3 with grav load outs which ride in my land Raider Redeemer, 3 with twin linked las cannons which make a great static devastator squad, and 3 with siege drills. The close combat boys run in my stormeagle with Lysander and a Chaplain. It makes an unstoppable assault force out of a brilliant flying assault vehicle.
5. Anything wielding an Arc Rifle. My new favourite weapons. Watching your opponents face when they realise that their Knight can be killed in a single round by a squad of servitors is a real pleasure.

(other notable 40K pleasures - Radium rifles, awesome again deamons who have no armour save - The Stormlord Superheavy Tank, you just get so much more for your points than any other imperial guard super heavy tanks due to the beast that is a mega bolter and 20 units firing out of the top - Inquisitors with 10 point psykers within their retinue, no better way to run cheap psykers at 10 points each! - Thunderfire Cannons - Contemptors with Conversion Beamers - And of Course Darneth Lysander) **Spot the Imperial Fist Player**

Drew da Destroya
10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
1. Nob Bikerz were a ton of fun to convert, especially since the new Biker Boyz kit had just been released.

2. Flash Gitz were similarly damn fun to make. I built mine before the new kit came out, using the then-new Nobz box, the Nobz from Black Reach, and about a ton of other gunz and gubbinz. I've been doing similar with Lootaz recently, although using standard Boyz bodies

3. Kommandoz! One of my first serious conversions, mine were mostly made of Ork Boyz and Catachans, with other bitz sprinkled throughout. Lots of personality and fun went into them. Of course, they just sit in their case these days, but they at least look cool.

4. Can I say the entire Dark Eldar line? Fantastic models, great posing, nicely modular... if I'm forced to pick, I'll say the Scourge. Cool-*** models, nice options, great unit. The Raider might take second place... the dudes you can model just hanging off the side are awesome.

5. SM Devastator Box. This thing has fueled many a conversion. So many useful bitz! Related, the Catachan Heavy Weapons Squad box. Lots of guns, sure, but also some great knives, grenades, and scenery bitz. Good stuff.