PDA

View Full Version : Is the GW Resale\Trade Market dead?

White Tiger88
10-09-2015, 03:44 PM
So after lurking for the last few months I figured I would speak up again! I am dropping Games Workshop games in favor of Malafaux,Bolt action and Weiss Schwartz (Anime card game) However before I can really start up any of those games I need to sell my Tyranids and Fantasy chaos........ Which seems to be Impossible regardless of how good the price is. So over all has anyone else noticed a completely dead market or are Nids just not in Demand at all? (I know Fantasy sales are dead due to age of fail)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Off-topic, but Weiss is fun. I have two decks to get rid of.

40k and Fantasy resale seems to be doing fine on Facebook.

Mr Mystery
10-10-2015, 12:14 AM
I've had good luck on Facebook. Most people are happy to use PayPal, and most pages keep tabs on who is trade reliable. All with none of the EBay charges.

White Tiger88
10-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Hmmm Know anyone looking for a crap ton of Nids then? :D :D :D

Also What Weiss decks?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I haven't looked in a while.

Sword Art Online and Nisekoi.

DarkLink
10-11-2015, 10:08 PM
"Good prices" can vary dramatically. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone trying to sell an army for much more than it was worth. And to be honest, unless you find the exact right guy to buy it, a lot of people simply won't be interested, or will only be interested in trading rather than buying. I know that I wouldn't want to buy, say, a full Necron army even for an absurdly good deal, even though I easily have the money, simply because I'm not really interested in playing Necrons.

Path Walker
10-12-2015, 02:18 AM
Painted models go for at the most half the retail price unless they're really, really well painted. You're most likely overestimating what they're worth.

Age of Sigmar hasn't killed the resale market but it has flooded it, people who play it now don't need to have 120 Night Goblins per unit to make it viable so there is a lot of extra stuff out there in peoples armies. You can still sell your models but the price won't be as good.

Psychosplodge
10-12-2015, 02:35 AM
The two or three second hand dealers I frequent appear to have reasonable to high stock turnover.

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 06:17 AM
I haven't looked in a while.

Sword Art Online and Nisekoi.

I am starting Nisekoi so are your cards English?

Also Trying to sell these nids I THINK its a fair price? Asking $600.......

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?58748-H-Tyranids-WoC-Misc-W-bolt-action-Malafaux-CANADA

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Yes, my Nisekoi deck is English

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Yes, my Nisekoi deck is English

Send me a link..... I am trying to build a Tsumugi Deck XD! (ALso I think that nid price is fair? Or should I do $550?)

Psychosplodge
10-12-2015, 06:51 AM
You really probably need a North American to answer that as they'll naturally work in dollars better

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 06:56 AM
You really probably need a North American to answer that as they'll naturally work in dollars better

I can Convert Pounds loL! Lots of the stuff isn't even built.

Psychosplodge
10-12-2015, 06:58 AM
It's not as simple as that though, our base prices are slightly lower I think?

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 07:01 AM
It's not as simple as that though, our base prices are slightly lower I think?

Not after conversion really, And to be honest the problem is the The NA market is dead completely that I have seen, At least for Tyranids :(

Psychosplodge
10-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Unless you're desperate for cash or space sit on them till nids are re-done?

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 07:04 AM
Unless you're desperate for cash or space sit on them till nids are re-done?

Lil of both really, I want to get into other games AND get my space back................

Psychosplodge
10-12-2015, 07:07 AM
ebay then? with a reserve?

Kirsten
10-12-2015, 07:09 AM
the problem is that you are trying to sell it all in one go with a mix of painted, built, and unbuilt minis.

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 07:19 AM
the problem is that you are trying to sell it all in one go with a mix of painted, built, and unbuilt minis.

Hmmm I figured it wouldn't mater, since most is unpainted.

Kirsten
10-12-2015, 07:20 AM
the other issue is that for such a big lot of minis, there will always be stuff in there people don't want.

I only buy unpainted second hand stuff personally.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-12-2015, 07:21 AM
I only buy unbuilt second hand stuff. xD

Psychosplodge
10-12-2015, 07:25 AM
I consider undercoated for the right model, but generally unpainted for metal, unbuilt for plastic.

CoffeeGrunt
10-12-2015, 07:49 AM
The second-hand market's much more like a bazaar than a market. You've gotta hope the right person comes along and make it as enticing as possible. Strip the paint from your minis and they'll be more valuable. I haven't looked at your army, but even Golden Daemon standard models wouldn't sell that well, because they wouldn't fit into an existing force and are at a standard the painted can't hope to match for future models. If it's badly painted, there's more work for the end user to do in order to make it usable, so the value's less. Even a competent paintjob will probably not be in the desired colour scheme, or maybe they're not assembled too well, or with bad options.

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time trawling Wargaming Trading on Facebook, and EBay. We had a local guy try to earn money by buying old models, painting them, then selling them. Didn't make anything more than a loss, despite our warnings.

Tyranids are also very lackluster, and if it's not a force set up to be a decent army, it's even less valuable. Selling second-hand models is a crapshoot. You're best off sitting on them and waiting for the right buyer to make an offer.

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 07:50 AM
Ha thats why I am doing a flat 50% off retail since I just want to clean up.

Morgrim
10-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Splitting into chunks might help too. I'd never spend hundreds of dollars on a large army, no matter how good the deal was, because I never have hundreds of dollars of spare money I could use. But I may consider something useful for my army at a lower price.

White Tiger88
10-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Splitting into chunks might help too. I'd never spend hundreds of dollars on a large army, no matter how good the deal was, because I never have hundreds of dollars of spare money I could use. But I may consider something useful for my army at a lower price.

Good Idea, Any Suggestions for what to put in groups?

Kirsten
10-13-2015, 02:41 AM
I would do it by squad type personally

White Tiger88
10-13-2015, 04:59 PM
I would do it by squad type personally

Fixed, Figured I would keep the painted stuff together.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?58748-H-Tyranids-WoC-Misc-W-bolt-action-Malafaux-CANADA&p=516617#post516617