PDA

View Full Version : Question about Asdrubael Vect and his special Ravager

Valkerie
03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
In the codex it states, 'The Dias (of Destruction) is protected by a unigue energy field that gives it an Armor value of 14 in all directions against shooting attacks.'

My question is, does this field negate the lance ability or not. In the BRB, page 32, it states, 'These (Lance) weapons fire a coherent, focused beam that can bore through any armor, regardless of its thickness. Due to their unigue nature, lance weapons count any vehicle Armor Values higher than 12 as 12.'

My reading is that it doesn't. But on the other hand, the lance entry seems to imply that it is effective only against physical armor, not force fields. I can see it going either way, and would like to know what others think about this. Does the fact that the AV is produced by a field rather than actual armor make a difference or not?

This could be useful next time I have a grudge match with an Eldar opponent.

Thanks ahead of time.

Fellend
03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Lance wins. The vehicle has armor 14 against shooting attacks. It doesn't matter why all we need to know is the armor value. And lance reduces 12+ to 12.

Sir Biscuit
03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Fellend is correct. It doesn't matter why you have armor 14, it still gets reduced to 12.

If you're looking for a fluff explanation, it is entirely possible that the force field of the Dias of Destruction simply cannot handle/react fast enough to the massive concentrated energy of a lance blast.

DarkLink
03-25-2010, 11:58 AM
But on the other hand, the lance entry seems to imply that it is effective only against physical armor, not force fields.

That's only fluff. Fluff =/= rules.

In terms of rules, anything AV 14 only counts as AV 12 against lance. Except the monolith, since there are extra special rules involved there. That's all we need to know.

Valkerie
03-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I figured that was probably how it worked, but was hoping I was wrong. Oh, well. I'll just have to make sure bright lances die first.

The other guy
03-28-2010, 08:13 AM
That is good to know. A player told me the opposite when i played him last month.