PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers movement

therealjohnny5
03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Ok here's one gents, i fear i've been playing fast skimmers wrong all this time. I was told by a red shirt they move 12 combat, 18 cruise, 24 flat out. i never bothered to look and assumed that to be correct. So i was reading over skimmers the other day as my friends tau devil fish only were moving 6 and he was like they aren't fast, and the BRB states they function like regular vehicles except they move flat out to 24" (don't benefit from road bonus).

So then does this mean they have a base 6"\ 12"\18-24" movement or a 12"\18"\24" movement? logically it seems odd to me that they move only 6" but whatever. I guess the benefit would be that since they are fast (LS) then they can move 12" and still fire a weapon?

lixulana
03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
vehicle movement is just like it reads in the book. being a skimmer doest make you move faster, that is the fast rule. or fast & skimmer rule at the same time.

Fellend
03-24-2010, 11:54 AM
If i remember correctly they only counts as fast for the purpose of shooting not for the purpose of movement.

karandras
03-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Normal vehicles can stand still and shoot all of their weapons or move up to 6" and fire one weapon or move over 6" and up to 12" but not fire.

Fast vehicles can move up to 6" and fire all of their weapons or move over 6" and up to 12" and still fire one weapon or move flat out over 12" and up to 18" but not fire.

Fast vehicles that move flat out along a road gain an additional 6" - so can potentially move 24". Fast skimmers gain this bonus 6" irregardless of roads since they are flying.

There are caveats to this such as ordinance weapons, defensive weapons, red paint jobs, etc.

You should really re-read the vehicle section of the BRB to be safe.

gannam
03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
The "fast" simply gives you an extra movement range called "flat out" (page 70)

Tau have a special rule that allows them the extra movement, but they are still not considered "fast".

combat speed is still 6 inches, cruising speed is still 12, and flat out is up to 18 inches, turbo boosting allows for up to 24 inches. Fast skimmers can move flat out at 24 inches.

vehicles that are fast can fire all weapons at combat speed (1 to 5 inchess), 1 weapon at cruising speed (6 to 11 inches) and no weapons at flat out speeds.

please remember that this does not change in anyway for assaulting a vehicle. If a fast vehicle moves 4 inches, you still need a 4 to hit it. You need a 6 to hit it if it moved at cruising speed, flat out speed, or turbo boosting speed.

Skimmers that moved flat out get a 4+ cover save (page 71), if they turbo boost, they get a 3+ cover save.

gcsmith
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Tau skimmers cant go flat out, it allows them to shoot as if they were fast

Nabterayl
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
combat speed is still 6 inches, cruising speed is still 12, and flat out is up to 18 inches, turbo boosting allows for up to 24 inches. Fast skimmers can move flat out at 24 inches.

Skimmers that moved flat out get a 4+ cover save (page 71), if they turbo boost, they get a 3+ cover save.
Skimmers can't turbo boost. You're thinking of bikes.

Johnny, you've been playing them wrong. As you've correctly noticed, what the rules say is this:

Being a Skimmer
Being a skimmer means only the following:
You may ignore terrain and intervening models during (but not at the start or end of) your move.
You do not receive a movement bonus for conducting your entire move on a road.
You may dodge (and, if successful, cancel) a Ram on a roll of 3+.

Skimmer Rules Interacting with Shooting Rules
Thus, a Tau Devilfish, which is a Skimmer but is not Fast, may:
Remain Stationary: receive a movement distance of no more than 0" and be able to fire up to all main weapons and all defensive weapons.
Move at Combat Speed: receive a movement distance of no more than 6" and be able to fire up to one main weapon and all defensive weapons.
Move at Cruising Speed: receive a movement distance of no more than 12" and be able to fire no main weapons or defensive weapons.

An eldar Falcon, which is a Skimmer but is Fast, may:
Remain Stationary: receive a movement distance of no more than 0" and be able to fire up to all main weapons and all defensive weapons.
Move at Combat Speed: receive a movement distance of no more than 6" and be able to fire up to all main weapons and all defensive weapons.
Move at Cruising Speed: receive a movement distance of no more than 12" and be able to fire up to one main weapon and all defensive weapons.
Move Flat-Out: receive a movement distance of no more than 24" and be able to fire up to no main weapons or defensive weapons, and count as Obscured if it ends its move at least 18" away from where it started.

A Tau Devilfish with a multi-tracker, which permits the Devilfish to fire as if it were a Fast vehicle, but not move as if it were a Fast vehicle, may:
Move at Combat Speed: receive a movement distance of no more than 6" and be able to fire up to all main weapons and all defensive weapons.
Move at Cruising Speed: receive a movement distance of no more than 12" and be able to fire up to one main weapon and all defensive weapons.

SeattleDV8
03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Skimmers can't turbo boost. You're thinking of bikes.

Move Flat-Out: receive a movement distance of no more than 24" and be able to fire up to no main weapons or defensive weapons, and count as Obscured if it ends its move at least 18" away from where it started

Minor point, A skimmer moving Flat Out does not need to end it's move 18" from it starting point.
That is from the Turbo Boosting rule.
Otherwise spot on and well stated.

DarkLink
03-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Tau have a special rule that allows them the extra movement, but they are still not considered "fast".

Exact opposite. They have an upgrade that lets them shoot as if they were fast, but they cannot move as if they were fast.

therealjohnny5
03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
thank you gentlemen for confirming my suspicion...someone tell me how i've missed that for 2 years....:eek:

codiddy
03-25-2010, 10:23 AM
thank you gentlemen for confirming my suspicion...someone tell me how i've missed that for 2 years....:eek:
Blame the people you've been playing ha ha.