PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Jessica Jones

eldargal
10-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Marvel's next Netflix series Jessica Jones will be available on November 20 and I am really looking forward to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3s178GW0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKecSNhRv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=48&v=eIXDTzn8E2k

Mr Mystery
10-01-2015, 06:29 AM
If it's even half as good as Daredevil, we're in for a treat!

Anyword on whether they're binge releasing it yet, or going episodic?

eldargal
10-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Binge releasing. I liked Daredevil but I didn't think it was as good as people seemed to think, I'm looking forward to this a lot more than I am season two of Daredevil (which I am still eagerly looking forward to).

Mr Mystery
10-01-2015, 07:20 AM
I just loved the fight scenes - properly brutally realistic. No 'aiee! I'm out for the count off a single kick!'.

And that telly to the head....love it love it love it!

eldargal
10-01-2015, 07:23 AM
The fight scenes were unusually good it is true.

eldargal
10-23-2015, 08:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcytHn1grbM
Full trailer *flails*

YorkNecromancer
10-23-2015, 11:09 AM
This looks superb.

Especially seeing as Marvel's BIG problem has been decent villains.

Iron Man = Iron Monger = meh.
Iron Man 2 = Whiplash = meh.
Captain America = Red Skull = fun, but cheesy, one dimensional.
Thor = Loki = pretty great.
Avengers = Loki = AMAZING.
Iron Man 3 = Mandarin = Meh and Trevor Slattery = YES. MORE PLEASE. NOW. IN EVERYTHING MARVEL DOES.
Captain America 2 = Winter Soldier = 1 dimensional and meh, Hydra = very intimidating and a lovely commentary on American espionage, but not quite specific enough to be a personal threat. Too many heads, if you follow my meaning.
Thor 2 = Christopher Eccleston - don't remember his character's name, don't care, most boring, generic villain ever HOW DO YOU DO THAT WITH CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON? HOW? HAVE YOU NOT SEEN 'SHALLOW GRAVE'? '28 DAYS LATER'? 'CRACKER'? 'DOCTOR WHO'? (Seriously, Eccleston is one of the finest actors of his generation, and the fact Marvel gave him that turd of a villain is beyond shameful.)
Agents of SHIELD = apart from Grant Ward, not really anyone notable. Not even Bill Paxton.
Guardians of The Galaxy = Ronan the Slightly Less Generic Than Thor 2's Villain But Not By Much = meh.
Avengers 2 = Ultron = not meh, but ultimately not good enough.
Daredevil = Kingpin = F**KING AMAZING.

Like, two awesome villains and maybe Grant Ward in season 1 of AoS? That's just not good enough, Marvel. It's really not, because without a good heel, how does the face get over?

However, Purple Man in this looks frickin' terrifying. It might even be a way to tell a story about rape culture without any shocktastic rape scenes. Which would be kind of incredible, given the current TV climate.

Mr Mystery
10-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Purple Man is looking good.

Curious thing? It seems Marvel TV now have the knack of taking very derpy villains and making them properly badass. Kingpin? Ace. Purple Man? Seems ace.

Mr Mystery
11-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Less than a fortnight to go!

Brakkart
11-13-2015, 04:47 PM
7 days!! Really looking forward to this. I have all next weekend off, reckon I'll binge the whole series in those 2-3 days.

Mr Mystery
11-19-2015, 06:01 AM
And it airs tomorrow!

HUZZAHS AND SING HOSANAS! More Marvel goodness for mein eyes.

I really hope this is up there with Daredevil - a character I was previously entirely ambivalent toward.

eldargal
11-19-2015, 06:02 AM
So excited. I actually quite disliked Daredevil prior to the Netflix show. I quite like Jessica Jones though I like Hellcat more so hope she gets to be a hero in this eventually.

Mr Mystery
11-19-2015, 06:15 AM
I'm not sure if I disliked Daredevil, so much as Ben Affleck.

Wikipedia seems confident all episodes are being released at the same time, so looks like Saturday's viewing is sorted.

Now then, any bets as to how long it will take the internet to ruin the character for evermore?

Mr Mystery
11-20-2015, 01:01 PM
And here I go!

Mr Mystery
11-20-2015, 02:09 PM
First episode is superb.

Good intro to a fairly obscure character without treading through a backstory intro, which I suspect may be a trope wearing thin for many fans of Marvel's output - I suspect that much like Daredevil, with 13 hours to play with they'll spin it out into relevant flashbacks.

Onto episode two!

Brakkart
11-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Just finished the whole series. Utterly brilliant thoroughout, well acted, great use of cameras and a superb and rather chilling plotline. Really looking forward to Luke Cage's own series next year and also Daredevil season 2. David Tennant's Killgrave is one hell of a good villain, hope he wins some awards for that part, as should Krysten Ritter as the title character.

eldargal
11-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Binge watched 4-5 episodes last night I forget precisely how many, totes amazing, very horrible story. Less violent than Daredevil but MUCH darker and much more brutal. I was kind of ambivalent about Luke Cage getting his own series, I haven't been a fan of how that character has been handled sometimes in the things I've seen him in, but now I'm really looking forward to it and Defenders. Also yay lesbians.

Also the women in this are so amazing, like as characters. they all have agency, they all are in control or trying to take control of their lives, they are all distinct and given personalities there are no cookie cutter stock characters its such an incredibly relief. Not even Agent Carter handled a diverse range of women this well, which to be fair was something of a reflection of the male dominated environment Peggy was in.

Really like the noir feel too, distinct but not overdone.

Mr Mystery
11-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Yarp.

When there is a punch up, they've again gone with the realism of Daredevil.

It's a really decent series. Good air of menace, solid character development, excellent motivation for each character. And DT makes a better villain than he did a Doctor.

I was a bit suspicious in the second episode, as it seemed to be swinging toward 'Jessica Jones and Luke Cage' as a show, but well reined in following that.

Also....the sexyadultfuntime scenes? Notable for being about the women getting off, which is quite different to most scenes.

eldargal
11-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Yup.

The sex scenes were refreshingly non-gratuitous and very evenly handled in that respect yep.

also you won't convince me that there isn't heavy romantic subtext in Jessica and Trish's relationship.

Mr Mystery
11-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Wouldn't try.

Such things are renowned for my obliviousness to them. TV, real life etc - not a clue!

Darren Richardson
11-22-2015, 03:29 PM
sigh, I do hope marvel hurrys up and get Netflix to release these on DVD soon (Agent Carter too while they're at it) as I want to watch them, but I really don't want to get into a subscription service...... never have much luck with them, and to be honest apart from the Marvel stuff, they really haven't got anything else I'd want to watch.

Brakkart
11-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Binge watched 4-5 episodes last night I forget precisely how many, totes amazing, very horrible story.

Ohhh it gets a lot LOT nastier! Episode 10... *shudders*

sigh, I do hope marvel hurrys up and get Netflix to release these on DVD soon (Agent Carter too while they're at it) as I want to watch them, but I really don't want to get into a subscription service...... never have much luck with them, and to be honest apart from the Marvel stuff, they really haven't got anything else I'd want to watch.

Netflix's own Marco Polo series is also really good and season 2 of that is out soon, in the next month or so. Also Orange is the New Black is pretty awesome too. I was leery of getting a subscription, but I took the plunge and now I'm signed up to Netflix and Amazon and consider the £15 a month they cost me combined to be money very well spent, when you consider that's about the price of a trip to the cinema to see 1 film (with a drink and bag of sweets). As for DVD release, they have released their House of Cards onto DVD, so they will get around too it, but likely not for a while yet.