PDA

View Full Version : Deployment and Drop pods

redbot
03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Can you deploy a squad and the Drop pod seperately? Ie Deploy the Squad and the deep strike the drop pod sepeately and in different locations. So, say, on turn two you roll a 6 on your reserve roll and deploy you squad at you table edge and then roll a second six and deepstrike your drop pod over in Orksville? Also do you have to roll seperate rolls for the transport and the squad that they are (not) transporting (if you think about it).

The Dinosaur
03-24-2010, 12:35 AM
we always play that if your not in your drop pod, you start on the table.

N-Bomb
03-24-2010, 03:10 AM
I would say yes. I mean I don't see why you can't pay the points to deep-strike empty drop pods so long is there's a unit that it is dedicated to.
I haven't read the drop pods in a long time since the only marines I play are chaos, so I could be wrong, but I believe you can buy drop pods for units with no intention to actually use them.

sebi81
03-24-2010, 04:25 AM
as far as i remember must dedicated transports and the transported unit be deployed at the same time. not at the same place or in the same way, but at the same time. so you canīt keep the unit in reserve and deepstrike the empty drop pod in the first round.

SeattleDV8
03-24-2010, 05:43 AM
as far as i remember must dedicated transports and the transported unit be deployed at the same time. not at the same place or in the same way, but at the same time. so you canīt keep the unit in reserve and deepstrike the empty drop pod in the first round.

Incorrect.
Dark Angel FAQ
"Q. Can you use a Drop Pod on its own, with no
squad inside?
A. Yes you can."
The only restriction is that the dedicated transport can only start the game with it's unit or emtpy.
The unit could be depolyed and the trasport held in reserve and vice versa.

joescalise
03-24-2010, 05:44 AM
you would only roll once, since it is one unit. you can drop the drop pod in a different place then the unit it is attached to. So your marines would come in from the table edge and your drop pod can be placed anywhere you want. (pending on your scatter roll)

SeattleDV8
03-24-2010, 05:54 AM
you would only roll once, since it is one unit. you can drop the drop pod in a different place then the unit it is attached to. So your marines would come in from the table edge and your drop pod can be placed anywhere you want. (pending on your scatter roll)

No, although they are one FOC slot they are two units.
If the troops are embarked there is an exception and only one roll for reserves is made.
If the transport is empty both units need to roll.

therealjohnny5
03-24-2010, 11:26 AM
No, although they are one FOC slot they are two units.
If the troops are embarked there is an exception and only one roll for reserves is made.
If the transport is empty both units need to roll.

i would agree here. Transports may be purchased with a unit but if being deployed separately they are treated as individual units. So your unit can walk on and the pod can drop separately but they would be rolled individually.

Nabterayl
03-24-2010, 12:57 PM
They're always separate units (re-read the Dedicated Transport section around page 90; don't have my rulebook with me), and as such, are always deployed as separate units.

Because the drop pod is a transport, you have the option of deploying a unit inside it during deployment. Because it is a dedicated transport, that option is restricted to the squad the drop pod was purchased for.

So you may do any of the following:
Deploy the drop pod with no passengers. The drop pod must be placed in Reserve, per the drop pod entry.
Deploy the passengers outside of their drop pod. The passengers may be deployed on the table, placed in Reserve, Deep Strike (if they can do so without a drop pod), Infiltrate (if they have the Infiltrate rule), Scout (if they have the Scout rule), Outflank (if they have the Infiltrate or Scout rules or can otherwise Outflank), and even walk on during turn 1 (if you're playing Dawn of War or the mission otherwise permits it).
Deploy the passengers in their drop pod. The drop pod, and thus its passengers, must be placed in Reserve, per the drop pod entry.