PDA

View Full Version : Why Aren't You Going To Adepticon?

crazyredpraetorian
03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
The title says it all. I'm not going due to a new job that starts the Monday after the event. I had planned on driving with some buddies and we would not have been back for Monday. What about you? Why aren't you attending?

Herald of Nurgle
03-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Because i'm a british guy who's nearing exam season.

catalyst2
03-24-2010, 12:57 AM
The AUS$2500 airfare discourages me, flyng in, as I would, from Perth in Western Australia. Wish I could come over to some of the big Us an/d or UK tournaments. Might just "accidentally" schedule a holiday for the family at the same time in a few years' time if I can!

Also tournament names - the last one I played here was called Sun, Sand and Slaughter - such a picturesque feel to it! Come to the beach, get a tan and kill xenos - what could be better? :D

Col.Gravis
03-24-2010, 05:04 AM
It's that damn Atlantic Ocean, spoils all my fun!

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
03-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Um... dont have enough carry cases to bring my army over or the airfares affordability right now. I know the $AUS is great against the US$ but still to much atm.
Would love to though.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-24-2010, 07:55 AM
I have agoraphobia and I'm in England.

Melissia
03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
No money to go, no inclination to go (I seriously never enjoy cons...) and I'm planning on continuing my college education this year so I want to remain focused on that.

david5th
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
It's that damn Atlantic Ocean, spoils all my fun!

Exactly, it's the least fum of all water bodies + expense.

MVBrandt
03-24-2010, 08:43 AM
I shouldn't be going; I have a major indy circuit tourney of my own I'm putting on, I'm saving up for a diamond ring, I'm in the middle of a $150M proposal, I think adepticon is not competitively evaluative at all and I'm a decently competitive guy, and painting my army and my team army up to standard in time has been a major pita.

Those are all the reasons I shouldn't be going.

But I am.

WTF. Damn this disposable income. WTB disposable time.

Melissia
03-24-2010, 09:02 AM
WTF. Damn this disposable income. WTB disposable time.
And for that you are very damn lucky. I can barely afford college classes even with financial aid.

MVBrandt
03-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I was there, I understand. You've got my empathy!

I was also 8 years in the marine life field, training dolphins and hanging out with celebrities on Hawaii while living on $10 hourly in a 4 square foot 17th floor apartment in downtown Honolulu.

It's a long road to get to a place where the bills are paid, the college loans are paid off, the beer is bought, the girl is happy, and you can afford hobbies like 40k on top of it all :p

ZenPaladin
03-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Same as everyone else.

Money.

If it was down the road at a local convention in Dallas I would stop in. I might even play a few games. But I can't afford to fly all over for conventions. Though I am seriously considering trying to make it down for BoLScon 2010.

fuzzbuket
03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Im in scotlsnd doing prelims (pre -exams) and 2 parents that think that gooing to america for a tourney is insane!!:(

Kuhlbert
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Time, mainly. Work is busy, and the kids are in school. I generally like to take my son to cons, and he's got classes. It kinda snuck up on me (my own damn fault).

I'm going to try to go next year.

Lord Azaghul
03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
1) because I still want to enjoy the game.
2) tourniments/cons tend to bring out the worst of the worst
3) I'd rather spend my $ on more models!

Commissar Lewis
03-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Why not? Eh, I'm fairly low on funding, and all current money has been allocated towards going to see Iron Maiden in July and Slayer/Megadeth in August.

david5th
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Why not? Eh, I'm fairly low on funding, and all current money has been allocated towards going to see Iron Maiden in July and Slayer/Megadeth in August.

Maiden, Slayer & Deth, you lucky c*&t.:)

DarkLink
03-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I see no reason to spend that much money just to play a few 40k games over a couple days. I can get in games for free locally:p.

ColCorbane
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm saving my money for Games Day which is just down the road and not over a bloody big ocean away.

Necrosis
03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Cause I got no money nor do I want to use their crappy FAQ that they made.

fade_74
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm not going because I don't want to lol. I live just a few hours by car away, I have the whole weekend off, and have plenty of money to go on. I would much rather spend most of the weekend with the kid, and have my regular Sat. afternoon game. I never was much on minimally competitive tournaments, let alone the biggest cheesefest in all the miniatures gaming world. If I want a con....I go to gencon in the summer.

therealjohnny5
03-24-2010, 06:21 PM
And for that you are very damn lucky. I can barely afford college classes even with financial aid.

i feel your pain, have $35K in loans from college and getting ready to start on my masters in the fall, and my wife is working on her Bachelors....school....ugh

As for Adept....eh, we're buying a pure bred pooch which means $$$ and we're going to Gamesday in August, and comicon when it his us in NYC this year, so i'm saving my con juice for those.

BlackKnight15624
03-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Same thing for me as for Melissia. As much as I would love to pick Warhammer over College, I figure in the long-run, not screwing my education for a con could pay dividends...

entendre_entendre
03-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Well, my passport's expired, I have classes with exams approaching, I have many, many minis to paint, I am low on teh monies due to tuition/food/40k/etc., and I have N00Bs to slay on PSN, so I'm not really in a position to go even if I wanted. Although I might go to BoLScon sometime in the next decade or so... :p

You lucky SoB...

Lord Azaghul
03-25-2010, 07:08 AM
i feel your pain, have $35K in loans from college and getting ready to start on my masters in the fall, and my wife is working on her Bachelors....school....ugh

As for Adept....eh, we're buying a pure bred pooch which means $$$ and we're going to Gamesday in August, and comicon when it his us in NYC this year, so i'm saving my con juice for those.

uuhhhhgggg. I"ve been out of college for 6 or 7 years now. Those student loans just don't go away, or seem to be getting much smaller.
Between my wife's and mine: student loans are by far our 2nd biggest monthly expense (mortgage first)

Not to discourage you, but I'm still not sure college is worth it anymore (at least in the US). We both have office jobs that pay decently(no degree required), but we'll be paying off those loans for a very long time.:(

However if you've already started & have solid goals its best to finish!

therealjohnny5
03-25-2010, 08:17 AM
uuhhhhgggg. I"ve been out of college for 6 or 7 years now. Those student loans just don't go away, or seem to be getting much smaller.
Between my wife's and mine: student loans are by far our 2nd biggest monthly expense (mortgage first)

Not to discourage you, but I'm still not sure college is worth it anymore (at least in the US). We both have office jobs that pay decently(no degree required), but we'll be paying off those loans for a very long time.:(

However if you've already started & have solid goals its best to finish!

I feel you bro. My college ed was totally worth it as far as the experience and life shaping knowledge. I've been paying on those loans for 3 years now. It's depressing when you see how little actually goes to the principle....my wife made college with no debt and is a Nurse and makes bank, I however studied Music and Religion, never took a business class, but own my own fight school. go figure. I'm going back to get a masters in Theology. I've always wanted to teach in college as an adjunct. I get bored if i do too much of one thing.

I've often wondered if college is worth the cost. For my wife yes, me it was the experience more so than the degree that has been the benefit. i don't regret it, but man there has to be a way for it to become more affordable, so we can go to Cons! :cool:

Evil-Termite
03-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I just don't have the motivation to go. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to go to a thing like that and I can't figure out how it would be more fun to do that than a local tournament or just playing a couple games a week.

Commissar Lewis
03-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Maiden, Slayer & Deth, you lucky c*&t.:)

coolface.jpg

But yeah I'm lucky that the bands I want to see are actually coming to Michigan. I mean when I went to see Amon Amarth I had to go all the way to Cleveland. Was an awesome night nonetheless. Also might hit up Mayhem Fest earlier in August, Rob Zombie's headlining I believe. Lineup's not as good as last year, but should be fun.

Squirrel_Fish
03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Three reasons. I can't afford to skip classes at this point in the semester. I'd have no one to go with (due to everyone else being bogged down by classes, work or lack of money). I don't really have a painted army to play with seeing as how my Eldar army case took a tumble over the table edge and I haven't been able fix it yet... :(

RocketRollRebel
03-25-2010, 09:30 PM
For me its Money. Some guys from my local store are flying out tonight to represent the 'arvard 'ard boyz (I think they are representing...). I was ready to make a cool road trip out of it but lack of money and I didn't want to take the time off from work. Thats right I have a job where I DON'T like missing work for once! haha But I am participating in a local tourny aptly named "I wish I was at adepticon" this weekend so its all good. ;)

Duke
03-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm not going cause I'm going to bols-con!

RocketRollRebel
03-26-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm not going cause I'm going to bols-con!

Nice. I'd love to go to BoLS-con. It sounds like a good time and Austin is an awesome city.

crazyredpraetorian
03-26-2010, 05:39 PM
For me its Money. Some guys from my local store are flying out tonight to represent the 'arvard 'ard boyz (I think they are representing...). I was ready to make a cool road trip out of it but lack of money and I didn't want to take the time off from work. Thats right I have a job where I DON'T like missing work for once! haha But I am participating in a local tourny aptly named "I wish I was at adepticon" this weekend so its all good. ;)

That is a great idea for a tournament. I wish some one in Austin would've done that.

Duke
03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Its all open for you to do CRP. you could be the "crazy red." which would obviously be the arch-enemy of "Big Red." lol

Duke

Bunker
03-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Because I'd rather go to a real tournament than one with homemade rules.

Maugatar
03-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Cos i'm in England, broke and Jealous of the people who are going lol

MC Tic Tac
03-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Cos i'm in England, broke and Jealous of the people who are going lol

Same here, but we have Warhammer World :P

Rift Knight
03-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Poor nursing student, so no money, as well as can't miss class time or clinical time due to state mandates for licensing. Sad part is I live in Illinois. One day.

RocketRollRebel
03-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Same here, but we have Warhammer World :P

so true. My friends and I have considered checking it out some time if we're ever in the UK

Tynskel
03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Wait... not going because of no money in college?

Get ya priorities straight, man! You can skip a couple of classes to go to a GIANT tournament.

Out of the country makes sense. That's a no brainer.

See, I have a REAL reason not to go:

INAT FAQ sucks balls. I refuse to use the crappiest FAQ ever made. Most of the time, their rulings do not make logical sense. Nor do they use the main rule book as a guide for their rules. Dumb Dumb Dumb.