PDA

View Full Version : How many transports?

Sir Biscuit
03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
So, in the option for taking dedicated transports for a space marine tactical squad, it says that:

"May select a a Rhino or a Razorback. If the squad numbers ten models, may take a drop pod."

My question is, if I have a ten man tac squad, can I buy BOTH a Rhino AND a drop pod? It would seem to indicate that I can, and I would really like to mess around with some empty pods to block corridors and make my pods that actually have things in them land later.

Whatcha think?

Lord Azaghul
03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I'll do you one better: since you determine tact squading at deployment can I place 5 in a rhino and 5 in the DP??!!

Sorry your question just made me thinkg of, I really don't know the answer to your.

Sir Biscuit
03-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Haha, great idea! Here's a fun and crazy list that runs with it:

Vulkan

Sternguard Squad
+5 Men
+5 Combi-Meltas
+2 Lascannons
+Rhino
+Drop Pod
Sternguard Squad
+5 Men
+5 Combi-Meltas
+2 Lascannons
+Rhino
+Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
+5 Men
+Meltagun
+Combi-flamer
+Powerfist
+Lascannon
+Drop Pod
+Rhino
+Hunter-Killer
Tactical Squad
+5 Men
+Meltagun
+Combi-flamer
+Powerfist
+Lascannon
+Drop Pod
+Rhino
+Hunter-Killer
Tactical Squad
+5 Men
+Meltagun
+Combi-flamer
+Powerfist
+Lascannon
+Drop Pod
+Rhino
+Hunter-Killer

Land Speeder
+MM/HF
Land Speeder
+MM/HF

15 points shy of 2000

Vulkan in a pod, probably with Sternguard.
All squads are split, five in pod and five in Rhino. (Heavy weapons in Rhino)
I see some REAL tank busting potential here!

harrybuttwhisker
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Without checking I feel fairly certain the codex states the unit "may buy a transport from the following list"

"A" being singular therefore meaning you may only take one of the listed choices.

lobster-overlord
03-23-2010, 02:15 PM
The answer is no, you can't buy both. you can buy the Rhino or Razor back at either size, but if they are 10 strong you can opt for the Drop Pod instead of the rhino or razor back.

DarkLink
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
"May select a Rhino or a Razorback. If the squad numbers ten models, may take a drop pod."

You might want to look up the meaning of the word "or" again:p.

The "or" means you get one or the other, but not both. If there was an "and" in there somewhere, then you could possibly take both.

Lord Azaghul
03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
hey a boy can dream...and it GW'd thought of it first it'd be a rule: sells more models!:D

Nabterayl
03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
So, in the option for taking dedicated transports for a space marine tactical squad, it says that:

"May select a a Rhino or a Razorback. If the squad numbers ten models, may take a drop pod."

My question is, if I have a ten man tac squad, can I buy BOTH a Rhino AND a drop pod? It would seem to indicate that I can, and I would really like to mess around with some empty pods to block corridors and make my pods that actually have things in them land later.

Whatcha think?
I think no. I see what you're saying, and I actually agree that the way this is worded allows a ten-man tac squad to buy a Rhino (sentence #1) and a drop pod (sentence #2). [Side note: lawyers, GW! Needs more lawyers!]

At the same time, looking at the layout, I'm very strongly inclined to think that what they're trying to say is "May select a Rhino, a Razorback, or, if the squad numbers ten models, a drop pod."

Why do I think that (without resorting to the "everybody plays it that way" card)? Note that both sentences appear under the heading "Dedicated Transport," singular. By contrast, consider the various places in the army list where "Options," plural, are listed. "Options," plural, always heads a list from which multiple items may be purchased. By analogy, it is reasonable to assume that "Dedicated Transport," singular, heads a list from which a single item may be purchased.

SeattleDV8
03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I'll do you one better: since you determine tact squading at deployment can I place 5 in a rhino and 5 in the DP??!!

Sorry your question just made me thinkg of, I really don't know the answer to your.

No, as you do not split into combat squads until you deploy the unit.
As the DP is in reserve , you can either put the whole squad or none of the squad.

DarkLink
03-23-2010, 09:18 PM
I think no. I see what you're saying, and I actually agree that the way this is worded allows a ten-man tac squad to buy a Rhino (sentence #1) and a drop pod (sentence #2). [Side note: lawyers, GW! Needs more lawyers!]

At the same time, looking at the layout, I'm very strongly inclined to think that what they're trying to say is "May select a Rhino, a Razorback, or, if the squad numbers ten models, a drop pod."

Why do I think that (without resorting to the "everybody plays it that way" card)? Note that both sentences appear under the heading "Dedicated Transport," singular. By contrast, consider the various places in the army list where "Options," plural, are listed. "Options," plural, always heads a list from which multiple items may be purchased. By analogy, it is reasonable to assume that "Dedicated Transport," singular, heads a list from which a single item may be purchased.

Lol, I think you're right.

When I first read this I though he was just saying taking multiple transports, and I though "no, you can't take a razorback and rhino".

Alas, but you couldn't put 5 in a razorback and the other 5 in a drop pod, as cool as that would be. You can't reserve a combat squad while deploying the other combat squad.

Lerra
03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
I'd say by RAW you are allowed to take both a rhino/razorback and a drop pod. I don't see anything that would exclude that, and it doesn't seem game-breaking or anything like that. I'd allow that if you played against me.

Keep in mind that the same argument works for Blood Angels, though, and their troops can take dedicated land raiders! I'd laugh if I saw a list with 1 HQ, 2 troops, and 7 land raiders as dedicated transports, and then I'd whack the BA player over the head. As far as I remember, the wording in the BA codex is that assault marines "may select any dedicated transport".

Lord Azaghul
03-24-2010, 06:47 AM
No, as you do not split into combat squads until you deploy the unit.
As the DP is in reserve , you can either put the whole squad or none of the squad.

Just so you know I don't seriously believe this is ever a valid option!:D

lobster-overlord
03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes, the BA assault marines can take a Land Raider, and pay 35 points (I think) less for it. This is the Discount Deep Striking Assault Land Raider that contributes to BA being Assault Broken lists.