PDA

View Full Version : How to wash up to red...

therealjohnny5
03-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Any of you wise sorts know the best method to wash up to red? i'm reworking the color scheme on my RG to make a custom chapter so i can run all marine Codex's without a super noticeable army on the table. The problem i have is based my RG Adept Battlegrey and washed down to black with about 3 coats of Badab for natural highlights and a more shaded black look. I really like it, however for my Blood Guard i have a 50\50 paint scheme of half Red and half Black, so i was wondering if anyone knows how to wash to red. Do i start white and wash up, or Bone, or Dhneb Stone...any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

and justice for all
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Not quite sure what you mean but this is how I do reds....often.

Option 1. Start with white. Red over the top and wash with devlan mud, then highlight with red and orange.

Option 2. Start with white. Red Gore over the top followed by red and upto orange for the highlights, then red wash (slightly thinned) over this.

Hope that helps.

therealjohnny5
03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
sorry if i wasn't clear, what i mean is using only the Baal Red wash, what base color do i use to wash up to a solid red? For instance with my black i base coated Adeptus and then used three washes of Badab Black to get a nice naturally highlighted black, it has more depth than just Chaos black with grey highlights. And since my color scheme is a half and half scheme just painting blood red with highlights doesn't look right. So i wanted to know if there is a way to start with a light base color and using Baal red wash to a nice red.