PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tactics????

joescalise
03-22-2010, 06:59 AM
If I use Vulkan and Pedro in the same army, wouldn't my army be able to use both Combat Tactis just not in the same phase ( I.E. in the shooting phase use vulkans but for the purpose of claiming a objective use pedro)

thanks for your help.

david5th
03-22-2010, 07:44 AM
If more than one character in your army has the Chapter Tactics special rule, you must choose which version will apply.

Afraid you have to pick one or the other.

Lord Azaghul
03-22-2010, 07:48 AM
If more than one character in your army has the Chapter Tactics special rule, you must choose which version will apply.

Afraid you have to pick one or the other.

And stick with it!

BuFFo
03-22-2010, 08:32 AM
One or the other :)

Can be a picky winner here!

lobster-overlord
03-22-2010, 08:35 AM
The thing is, is that the special charaters REPLACE Combat Tactics, and if you think about it as a logic problem, then one special character's ability REPLACES Combat Tactics on the other units' entries. Thus if Special Character A replaces Combat Tactics with his Chapter Tactic ability A, then all units in that army have Chapter Tactic Ability A, and no longer have Combat Tactics. When you attempt to apply Special Character B's Chapter Tactics Ability B to the units, it says replace their Combat Tactics, which they no longer have, they each now have Chapter Tactics Ability A on their listings. The Ability B then fails to replace anything because there wasn't a line item to replace on their listing any longer.

The entire army gets Ability A applied to it at the time the army list is created for the game, so Ability B can never take hold. (Or vice versa depending on how you want to build your army list).

joescalise
03-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I think it was last week on Bols, they had a video of a battle report where he used Lysander and Shrike. His terminators used Fleet to get up the hill and on the next turn were shot at and used Stubborn. that is the only reason I thought of this.

Lord Azaghul
03-22-2010, 09:01 AM
I think that would an BOLS: fail! However that may have also been IF shriek rules say his unit gains fleet, but I doubt both abilites should have been applied.

But hey how many people have played all there games with no errors!

Jwolf
03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Why would stubborn be an issue for being shot? No negative modifiers on the shooting.

Herald of Nurgle
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I think it was last week on Bols, they had a video of a battle report where he used Lysander and Shrike. His terminators used Fleet to get up the hill and on the next turn were shot at and used Stubborn. that is the only reason I thought of this.
There's a difference between being stubborn to such paltry firepower and being stubborn as a special rule.

DarkLink
03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah, checked their rules and shrike doesn't give fleet to his squad, nor does lysander give his squad stubborn. Either it was a snafu on BoLS's part, or confusion over the use of the word stubborn. I expect the latter.

Culven
03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
How would Fleet help a unit "get up the hill"? There is no movement involved. Perhaps you are thinking of the fourth edition "fleet" which involved movement and confusing it with fifth edition's "Run" rule.

lobster-overlord
03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Just as a side note... In APOC, you can use both, however, you'd have to nominate each unit as only have ONE Chapter Tactic. You would essentially be running two army lists, devoid of FOC, and you can say that each segment of units is tied to a specific commander. You would then be limited though as to which units other abilities in the lists could affect ("friendly" ablities could go to any, but "your army" abilities would be limited to those in each specific list)

I know, more complicated than it needs to be, but it was a random though on the subject since I'm building a joint BA/Vanilla Apoc army
John M.

DarkLink
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
How would Fleet help a unit "get up the hill"? There is no movement involved. Perhaps you are thinking of the fourth edition "fleet" which involved movement and confusing it with fifth edition's "Run" rule.

The unit moved, falling short of the hill. They then used fleet to "get up the hill". Plus, some people will play hills as difficult terrain.

Nabterayl
03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
The unit moved, falling short of the hill. They then used fleet to "get up the hill". Plus, some people will play hills as difficult terrain.
They used Fleet to assault up the hill after Running? Because that's the only way Fleet would help them move.

DarkLink
03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Fleet, run, whatever. Actually, they probably just Ran, but the commentator called it Fleet like I did, even though it was actually just Run.

joescalise
03-30-2010, 05:53 AM
If I use Vulkan and Pedro in the same army, wouldn't my army be able to use both Combat Tactis just not in the same phase ( I.E. in the shooting phase use vulkans but for the purpose of claiming a objective use pedro)

thanks for your help.

Isn't this the same thing I said and was told no, this is from BoLS front page today.

1. Pedro Kantor and Khan outflanking.
- This is one annoying combo that is kinda subtle and a lot of people don't think about. This can be a great combo to use against Mech guard list.
Have Pedro attached to a drop pod that will come in turn 2 and have Khan outflanking in turn 2 at the same time. You have a lot of units in the backfield with +1 attack on top of everything in close range. This is a bit of a trick and doesn't always work but you will see a lot of guard players start to sweat bullets when they see Kahn with out flanking units entering on the table side Turbo boosting on or in position to Assault, Drop pod with Pedro in the middle supporting your units with +1 attack to the outflanking units.

Nabterayl
03-30-2010, 11:35 AM
No, that would work. Kantor's +1A aura is due to his Inspiring Presence rule, not due to his Chapter Tactics rule. What wouldn't work is using Khan to Outflank a squad of scoring Sternguard.