PDA

View Full Version : Test model for a space marine chapter (Sons of Ouroboros)

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-21-2010, 07:51 AM
As much as I love necrons, minor xeno races and enslavers......mmm enslavers... I do have a soft spot for marines, but I wanted to do something a little different so I came up with this test model for a custom chapter :

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/SonsOfOuroboros.jpg

The idea behind them is they cant ever truely die, but they cant recruit either and so only have 9 companies. They have a strange gene-seed effect that causes their bodies to regenerate after death - allthough depending on the damage depends on how long it takes for the regeneration to complete (sometimes weeks, sometimes months, years or even in the worst circumstances centuries).

gcsmith
03-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Lol when hearing this, i hope u dnt mind me mentioning, it makes me think of Dragonball Z, Picilo,. and the fact that they can train for eternity would be like having Goku as your leader lol :P Awsome series, and awsome chapter idea. Also the scheme is insane.
The helmet is also quite nice :P

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm liking the actual look and the concept (not too strong, but cool. Nice and different. Include a counts-as chaplain cassius, his Feel No Pain representing his above-average regeneration?)

There is an issue in similarity to the Thousand Sons, tho. They use the ouroboros as their emblem, and used to be red and yellow.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-21-2010, 08:59 AM
ah really ? gotta admit i dont know much about thousand sons...maybe ill change the colour-scheme or even just keep it as a one-off model..

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
03-21-2010, 09:59 AM
!!
nonono, don't let that stop you from making the chapter, it was just something to keep in mind(what with the increasing interest in pre-heresy)/maybe tweak the color scheme a little over. Two bits of info stop the overlap from being too jarring - the thousand sons didn't have that colorscheme and symbol at the same time, and that they aren't particularly know for the symbol. It's not like the kind of fame the Ultramrines' omega symbol or the World Eaters'... world-eating symbol has, the TS are known largely for their egyptian headdresses and armor stylings, not their symbol.

Also, ask local chaos players if they have any transfer sheets left over, those have the symbol on them (unless you prefer the raised sculpt look).

Lerra
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Looks great =) There are so many successor chapters and variants for SMs that it's impossible to pick unique, good-looking colors without someone saying "Hey, that reminds me of the Space Aardvark successor chapter!" You've gotten about as close as you can to unique by having the cool looking helmets and raised bits.

I built a custom red-and-bone chapter only to have people ask if I was playing Blood Ravens (Thousand Sons successors). I changed the red to be closer to brick red to make them a little less like BRs, but I might give in and just call them BRs, too. I haven't decided yet . . . BR fluff is pretty interesting, and every other army of mine is centered around Tzeentch.

Commissar Lewis
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I personally like both the fluff and color scheme. Really nice, and it's unique.

DarkLink
03-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I like the helmet grill a lot. It looks better than some of the GW helmets, I think.

I also like the fluff idea you had. I wouldn't make the mutation make them truly immortal, just have a strong healing factor. So they can be killed, but are much harder to kill than normal. If you don't finish them off, anything short of a mortal wound and they will come back. Arm blown off? No big deal, it'll grow back.

However, due to their inability to create new recruits, it's a struggle against time for survival, because every casualty is an irreplaceable one. It'd also be a good opportunity to incorporate the temptations of chaos, since the chaos gods could offer them the immortality that they can taste and desire, but don't truly have.

Brass Scorpion
03-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Lol when hearing this, i hope u dnt mind me mentioning, it makes me think of Dragonball Z, Picilo,. and the fact that they can train for eternity would be like having Goku as your leader lol :P Awsome series, and awsome chapter idea. Also the scheme is insane.
The helmet is also quite nice :PMore likely, someone has been reading about classical mythology or watching a particular episode of Red Dwarf.

gorepants
03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Hyperion inspired?

I like the colours, they go together well, but I'd suggest (unless it's the photo) a bit more contrast on the red since it looks a little flat.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-22-2010, 12:33 AM
wow, thanks for all the comments... kinda made my day lol, im not sure ill go with this chapter, I have several ideas I want to test out first. I might go with my Sand Tarantulas theme - in homage to my pet spidspid Helga :D with helmets having sculpted fangs and eyes, loin cloths designed to look like tarantula legs with the belt-buckle being a head ect... I like ranges like necrons and marines due to their simplicity as it allows alot of room for sculpting and conversion.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-22-2010, 01:43 AM
Also, may as well post my other misc marine stuff here...so heres "Snake" ;

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Misc%2040k/Snake.jpg

He's for my pirate army thats going to have a mix of all kinds of stuff..not sure on the picture quality/black undercoat, but he has an eye-patch. Yes, I'm a kurt russel fanboy :p

person person
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice stuff.

Really liking the sculpting work on the Sons of Ouroboros.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-24-2010, 01:48 PM
heres a banner I made for another marine :

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Misc%2040k/OurborosBanner.jpg

never attempted anything like this before, so it was good sculpting practice I think :)

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Here is the second marine, iv named him "Egon"....he's gettin' some strange readings!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Misc%2040k/SonsOfOuroboros2_Egon.jpg

gcsmith
03-27-2010, 03:49 AM
i lv ur sig, not a wow player by any chance :P

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-27-2010, 05:41 AM
i lv ur sig, not a wow player by any chance :P

world of warcraft ? no, not at all. I hate that game.

It's a quote from an HP Lovecraft story ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dunwich_Horror