PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game and Deployment order

JMichael
09-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Though in most games I play the specific order of Night Fighting, Psyhic Power Generation and Warlord Traits isn't too important to us I wanted to really build a step by step list (like 6th had).

So here is what I found based on RAW. Feel free to comment and if I missed something or misinterpreted it, let me know!

Build Army based on agreed Points limit.

1. Setup Terrain (p130)
2. Determine Deployment Map either by mission or random (p131)
3. If mission uses Objective Markers, Players Roll off. Winner places first objective.
4. Roll to pick table halves (each mission mentions this).
5. Choose and roll for Night Fighting before deployment (p135)
6. Roll off, winner decides who deploys first (p132)
7. Generate Psychic Powers ‘Before Game Begins’ (p23 & p17)
8. 1st Player rolls Warlord Traits (p124)
9. 1st Player Deploys army including Reserves
10. 2nd Player rolls Warlord trait (p124)
11. 2nd Player Deploys army including Reserves
12. Deploy Infiltrators (p167)
13. Make Scout moves (p171)
14. 1st Player then decides who gets first turn
15. 2nd Player can steal initiative

For me finding when to Generate Psychic Powers was the tough one. It just says on p23 Before the game begins, which on p17 says this is ‘before the armies deploy’. So I take that to mean that both players do this before either one deploys.

I did not realize before that Warlord Traits are done before each player deploys their first unit. So player 1 rolls Warlord Traits then deploys his/her army.
Then player 2 rolls Warlord Traits and then deploys.
I imagine there are some situations where knowing what your opponent’s Trait and deployment are might affect what table you roll on.

Though I have been doing it, I often run into players who don’t realize that you roll separately for choosing table halfs and who deploys first.

JMichael
09-24-2015, 11:50 AM
We generally pick deployment sides and then roll for Psychic and Warlord while we get our models out.
I still find loads of players at different stores doing the old 'he who chooses table sides also deploys first'.

So if you are playing Maelstrom (we play almost all games using these missions) you will roll 3 times, not counting Random Deployment map, Infiltrators and Scouts.
1st roll for placing objective markers (note that the winner of the roll places first and doesn't choose who places the first objective).
2nd roll for choosing table sides
3rd roll for 1st deployement & 1st turn