PDA

View Full Version : Is there a roll to determine who goes first or not?

Bigred
07-24-2009, 05:13 PM
One of the sticky wickets of 5th lies before us. Lets hear your arguments pro or con rule-savants.

Several interesting pieces of old wargear may or may not still work based on the answer to this one.

FirstLegion
07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I think it's pretty clear that the roll is made to choose to go first...

The book says "The players roll off, and the winner chooses to go first or second."

Sounds like a roll to go first to me.

Jwolf
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
No roll to choose sides, unless you have the choose sides piece of wargear. Choosing to go first gets to choose deployment, giving firstaway gives the opponent choice of deployment.

CrusherJoe
07-26-2009, 04:00 AM
As to whether or not there is a roll to determines who goes first, I submit this from the Codex: Witch Hunters FAQ, with the relevant sentence in bold:

Q. How does the Liber Heresius work with the new deployment rules?
A. The Liber Heresius doesn’t work within any of the three deployment types given in the standard missions in the new rulebook, because it only works when you are able to dice off for choice of deployment zone – in the new missions you don't actually dice off for this, as it is decided by who wins the dice off to have the first turn. [...]

According to that sentence, there most definitely IS a roll to determine who goes first. It just so happens that the "bonuses" for winning the roll to go first are determining deployment order and choice of table side.

mkerr
07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Awesome find, CrusherJoe. I've been looking for that in the errata (I thought it was on the Emperor's Tarot though). So that means that a Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought still gets the re-roll and the Emperor's Tarot still works.

-mkerr

Abominable Plague Marine
08-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Hmmm, so how does that work with "stealing the inititive"?

Sorry, dont have a Space Wolf Codex so not even sure if it is affected at all.

AdamHarry
08-03-2009, 05:19 PM
From the BoLSCon FAQ

Q: How does the Liber Heresius work?
A: The Liber Heresius must be rolled before the roll to go first is made. A successful use of the Liber Heresius allows the player to choose his side, even if he lost the roll to go first. A double-six roll when attempting to use the Liber Heresius allows the opponent to choose sides, even if the opponent lost the roll to go first.

BuFFo
08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Why is it you guys at BoLs seem to write better 'tourney house rules' than the decades long established GW run GTs?

GW needs to hire you guys as eratta/faq authors and drop that FAQ ruling yahoo based council crap they keep outsourcing to.

Your answers to questions just MAKE SENSE!

GW / Yahoo group - This piece of wargear no longer works. Deal. We really don't care if you spent 1200 bucks on an army.

BoLs - Yes, your crap does work. Enjoy!

Hugs and kisses!