PDA

View Full Version : Genestealers and leadership checks.

randyh
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Ok,

I can't find anything that says genestealers are fearless, but they do have brood telepathy, which allows them to act as single units away from the hive mind.

Do they suffer leadership checks if they lose 1/4th of their squad do to shooting? For such a unit to succumb to this (yes even with a leadership of 10) is kind of lame. I couldn't find anything that said they don't in the codex, but I was just wondering why you would have something as powerful as a unit of stealers with a broodlord and have to fall back because you failed a leadership test.

Just wondering, and still trying to figure out the kinks in my army.

Thanks for the responses in advance.

Fizyx
03-19-2010, 04:05 AM
I couldn't find anything that said they don't in the codex, but I was just wondering why you would have something as powerful as a unit of stealers with a broodlord and have to fall back because you failed a leadership test.

I think it is more of a checks and balances kind of thing. It makes up for them being so deadly in close combat.

Nabterayl
03-19-2010, 05:19 AM
In case it wasn't clear from Fizyk's answer, yes, genestealers are subject to Morale and Pinning tests. That's definitely the rules answer, but if you're looking for an additional rationale, remember that genestealers are pretty canny about self-preservation. I don't think it's unfluffy that genestealers would sometimes fall back or hit the dirt in the face of intense fire, or attempt to disengage when a close combat turns against them.

randyh
03-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the response, and yeah, I see what you mean about the fluff. I just thought that a unit with a Broodlord might have some advantages with regards to a morale check after being shot up.

Thanks for the answers!

GM Rex Nihilo
03-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Would they not be fearless if in synapse range but would only need to test their leadership if out of range of synapse? Also is a Broodlord a synapse creature?

XHound87
03-20-2010, 10:01 AM
They are fearless in synapse range but if they're outside, they'll have to take all tests as normal. And yes, the broodlord is a synapse creature, as far as I know.

Ferro
03-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Broodlord is not a synapse creature anymore; he was last codex.