PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye BOLS. An open letter to the Moderators

Aldramelech
03-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Last night after reporting a post to you about a certain individual who claimed to be the new law of the forum (which in my opinion challenged your authority) I received a PM from one of you (Aims).

The contents of the PM are in no way acceptable to me.

I have, in my opinion, contributed a great deal to this site over the last year. Painting and modeling threads, rules idea's, help and advice to anyone who needed it, humor and the occasional news item not to mention hundreds of photos. I feel so strongly about this that I have removed all of this content from your site! You have by your actions deprived your readers of all this as well as upcoming features such as the now unresolved 501st Cadian thread, Aldremelechs Dwarf Throng, Tank overhaul and new items planned such as 1500pt Space Marines and Early war Soviets for Flames of War.

You would rather defend a person who makes no contribution to this forum at all (unless you count sarcasm, bad feeling and a desire to out moderate the Moderators as contributions) a person as far as I can tell has never started a thread, posted 1 single photo or come up with one item of news. As this seems to be more valuable to you, then I no longer wish to be associated with you or your forum.

I will take my content somewhere where it will be appreciated.

To the Membership who have enjoyed that content, my apologies, the situation here where this adolescent bully is allowed to roam this forum doing exactly as he pleases, upsetting who he chooses has become intolerable. But you all know who to thank.......

Aldramelech. :mad:

Lord Azaghul
03-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Sorry to see you go. I always enjoyed your blogs/photos.

I would recommend bugmansbrewery.com Its a good dwarf site and that place always had a much more respectful atomosphere.

Tell them Lord Azaghul sent you!

I do agree with you in wishing that the mods would reign in a bit more of the disrespectful behavior that does tend to crop up quite a bit.

I'm here mainly cause my work hasn't blocked this site yet!

Good luck to you.

ColCorbane
03-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Tis the nature of forums my friend, it's why I don't really do forums that much.

Come on over to From The Warp and join us bloggers, you'll get a place of your own on the web where no one can tell you what to do or post, it's where all the grown up forum refugee gamers are hanging out ;)

Akkon Sek
03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Sorry to see you go. Certainly wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

I don't know what transpired, don't need to. It's the nature of the beast. Put any part of yourself out there on teh interwebz and someone will make it their life's work to make you miserable... simply because they can, and do it anonymously.

Or, possibly they don 't care that much and they're in it for the lulz in general.

Either way: when you cave, they win. Ignore. And definitely don't internalize it. Is it really _that_ important?!

Best of luck to you man. See you around.

-Dry w

Melissia
03-18-2010, 08:39 AM
*shrug* Dunno. I don't like it either, but the mods were just doing their jobs. Whether or not I agree with HOW they did them... I'm not sure. And I guess it's not entirely my place to tell, and certainly not to publicly say my opinion yay or nay.

therealjohnny5
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Don't go Ald!!! ahhhh!!. That sucks man, let us know where you're headed if possible, i've always enjoyed your contributions and wit.

BuFFo
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Peace out.

Master Bryss
03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
*21 Earthshaker guns fire in the background. In the foreground, a hundred thousand Guardsmen are seen saluting, while a stirring yet sad anthem plays.*

I'll miss your Guard. And while we lament here, an irritating little man who claims to be in all of our mothers' beds (the day I find that funny is the day of my death) runs free.

Irdion
03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
*shrug* Dunno. I don't like it either, but the mods were just doing their jobs. Whether or not I agree with HOW they did them... I'm not sure. And I guess it's not entirely my place to tell, and certainly not to publicly say my opinion yay or nay.

I can definitely respect you for that.

Personally, I have no details about the contents of the PM's, but if you are this offended by satirical content perhaps your place is off the internet entirely. It already says a lot, and not much of it good, that you seriously believe your loss will be mourned as some tragic event.

Seriously, the man-child look is never a good one.

Herald of Nurgle
03-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Regardless of the nature of your leaving, I will miss your decent posts and commenting.

Does anyone know if he runs a blog?

MarneusCalgar
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I will miss you too!!

Well I am also as ignored here as you, because I´m spanish and not saxon, either from USA or UK, but I will resist, if they want me to go, they should kick me off, I won´t go easily!!

Hope to meet you soon in another place man. Cheers!!

BuFFo
03-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Personally, I will never discuss the contents of a PM unless all parties allow so, but, in this instance, I don't think you should leave over what happened.

If you don't like me, that is perfectly fine, but in all honesty, the PM issue is piddly at best, and nothing in them, at least in my opinion, should cause any of us to leave the forums.

Obviously, tons of people miss you already, which goes to show you how important you are to the forums. You have a home here, and the residents here don't want you to go.

Please stay.

- edit -

Hey, if it is any consolation, some idiot removed my ability to create a signature. So at least revel in THAT fact if it'll help make you feel better!

Akkon Sek
03-18-2010, 06:39 PM
http://shadowmage.plinkomedia.com/images/Admiral-Ackbar-trap.jpg

Couldn't resist.

In all seriousness: a nice gesture BuFFo.

eldargal
03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Noo, don't go, I miss you and your shooty hobbits already,:(

Col.Gravis
03-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Hmmm, well this is'nt a good development. :mad:

Denzark
03-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Mr A this is a downer for the forum I will miss your witty badinage, and contributions particularly IG. Not sure who else will apprceiate squaddy humour either and help stave off the hordes of rampaging colonials either....

I hope you have a second thought as I have never even heard of 'Aims' before but clearly it is others who should Jog on and not your good self.

Thank you for keeping me on the straight and narrow on the occasions when I get a rant on.

Sangre
03-19-2010, 08:22 AM
I can't help but think this is in some way my own fault.

Denzark
03-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Dares I ask why - I have never seen you set to with Mr A.

person person
03-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Bye Aldra :( , hope to see you somewhere on the interwebz.

Jwolf
03-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Well, that's a shame. And even your erstwhile enemy asks you to stay.

This week has been very hard on the moderators, as a group of individuals took it upon themselves to attempt to fill every thread and post with profanity. I apologize for any harshness on the part of the moderators, and ask that you consider that we are talking about volunteers that can become overtaxed and short tempered, just like the rest of us.

BuFFo
03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, that's a shame. And even your erstwhile enemy asks you to stay.

This week has been very hard on the moderators, as a group of individuals took it upon themselves to attempt to fill every thread and post with profanity. I apologize for any harshness on the part of the moderators, and ask that you consider that we are talking about volunteers that can become overtaxed and short tempered, just like the rest of us.

Well, the mods did a great job because I didn't see any of these profane threads/posts. They must work very fast lol!

Cryl
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
wow... I go on holiday for a week and miss this...

no idea what caused it or even what the thread you referto is but I'll miss your posts Ald, there was always something interesting to see from you, hopefully you'll be back

DarkLink
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, the mods did a great job because I didn't see any of these profane threads/posts. They must work very fast lol!

Yeah, I haven't seen anything. Maybe it was a few people (read: trolls and flamers) who felt shafted by the BoLS's new policy for blog comments, and felt like releasing internet nerd rage. I'd imagine

Regardless, I was surprised to see one of our senior members (I think he's got the most posts on the whole forum) decide to leave. Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding and it'll get worked out.

Subject Keyword
03-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Damn!
Can't blame you at all, though.
Take it easy Aldramelech.

MarneusCalgar
03-24-2010, 03:07 AM
If someone leaves a forum I think is everyone´s fault, as I see the forum as a community...

Melissia
03-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Right, we didn't do enough to make BuFFo leave first :P

Kahoolin
03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Kudos Aldramalech for taking a stand, even if it is to leave. This attitude that "it's the internet, rudeness is just the way it is" is weak and pathetic.

No one ever has to tolerate jerk behaviour, for any reason. Just because we are all anonymous doesn't mean rudeness and insults are inevitable and therefore OK.

Subject Keyword
03-26-2010, 05:21 PM
This attitude that "it's the internet, rudeness is just the way it is" is weak and pathetic.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.:rolleyes:

MadCowCrazy
03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHptG35EWU

This pretty much sums up all my thoughts on the matter.
Ive been around long enough to know **** happens then again I dont know exactly what happened but this reminds me of all those people going on the WoW forums complaining and threatning to quit the game or claiming they are leaving.

On the other hand, if the mods over at Heresy told me my Inquisition, DH and SoB rumours thread was a pile of **** I would prolly delete it and bring it someplace else. Im guessing its something like that that happened.

Denzark
03-28-2010, 04:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHptG35EWU

This pretty much sums up all my thoughts on the matter.
Ive been around long enough to know **** happens then again I dont know exactly what happened

Well really.

You don't know exactly what happened.

You don't know exactly what happened, but are posting a link to a video with a fat blobby cartoon character with a minigun encouraging us to 'cry some more'.

Is this directed at Adralmelech, who had contributed some of the best posts and gen to this forum, and who generated this multi page thread where most of the posts are highly supportive of him - as well as people still discussing it on his old threads?

Or is this directed at those people posting in support of him?

The only way you make any sense is if you are Buffo in another profile.

Either way your post count doesn't look like you've been around HERE long enough to comment intelligently on the matter, so you should hush a bit to try and maintain credibility, not just show off your tubers-tube-fu skills to try for a cheap laugh at the expense of someone else.

If you want links of relevance, I use a site called the Army Rumour Service - have a look under 'Oxygen thief' because in an ordinary decent world the mods here would have some way of attaching something to persons like youself to let the rest of us know you are coming...

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/ARRSE_FAQ#Oxygen_Thief_tag

MadCowCrazy
03-28-2010, 01:57 PM
So why dont you enlighten me on what happened?

Denzark
03-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Christ you're like some national enquirer ambulance chasing journno.

Go to 40Kforums (google it if you need). Join. Use some search facility, find Adralmelech. He uses the same name. If you really need to know ask him.

Melissia
03-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm certainly not telling either, even if I was involved. This is a matter between certain posters and the mods, and he decided he'd had enough, which is his decision. He elected not to elaborate on what happened, which I think is the more tasteful thing to do-- the mos timportant thing in this thread is that he is saying goodbye, not that he's trying to start drama over something.

Aims
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Long story short:

I have a job to do. I did it. I was asked to send said PM by Bigred who agreed with the majority of the mods that the situation was well out of control. I am sorry to see you go, but you need to understand that we have rules to follow. We try very hard to keep things fair and respectful for everyone. Are we always successful? No. We can't be, because we're human. People are always going to take things out of context or personally or get ticked off about whatever they don't like or don't want to hear. It's just the way things go. In my opinion, this was not the way to handle what was said to you, but it's your call.

Good luck with wherever you go.

fuzzbuket
04-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Awwww ill miss aldramech :(

first time in the oubilett and its sad ):

bye hope you find a new fourm.

Bigred
04-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Aldramelech,

I'm sorry to see you go. Just know that we will always save a seat for you at the Lounge, and you are always welcome at our table.