PDA

View Full Version : One day Project: Custom Painting Tray / "Fool's Tray"

EvilNerdINC
08-25-2015, 05:34 PM
So I decided I wanted to do a very simple one day project to build a painting tray for myself. As many of you have experienced an overload of miniatures to work on can be daunting. Thus I built a small try to hold a limited number of project miniatures on. Measurements are about 8" x 14" x 1". Also I am aware I have extra room for more slots, but I wanted to reduce the number or slots so I don't overwhelm my painting goals.

When looking around online the cost seemed very high for laser cut MDF style boards, so I went to a local wood shop and got some high quality wood that is just short of 1" thick and made a project for myself.
Above are the one day results of the tray with a variety of in progress miniatures to show how they sit in each slot. I recessed a small magnet in the base of each slot for a little durability in movement. As you can see each slot holds a 25mm model, with either 50/60mm slot above it. I may make the 25mm recesses larger so they can accommodate the new 32mm GW bases and better hold the WWX and Warmachine minis as well. I think I may also revisit the design and put some really unnecessary but fun hand carving into the face as well and possibly bevel the edges for a more finished look but for a start I am rather pleased. Constructive feedback appreciated, if you want detailed step by step instructions I can post those as well.

Just to show how well the magnets work, I put one small magnet underneath each model, slightly larger one for the Maruts (both full metal models) will hold on upside down. Not that one would ever do this intentionally, but I think the evidence is clear that its pretty sturdy.