PDA

View Full Version : The Age of Sigmar Sales Pitch

Erik Setzer
08-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Setup: A guy walks into his local Games Workshop, sees Age of Sigmar, and strikes up a coversation with the manager about it. (C = Customer, M = Manager)

C: Age of Sigmar, eh? What's this about, then?
M: It's Games Workshop's new game of fantasy battles.
C: New? Wasn't there already one? I remember playing computer games for Warhammer, that was a fantasy setting.
M: Well, Warhammer Fantasy Battles seemed to have run its course, and the modern gamer enjoys a game that they can tailor more to their liking. Warhammer was gracefully ended and Age of Sigmar has taken its place.
C: Gracefully ended? What does that mean?
M: Chaos swept over the world, there were massive battles, it was truly the End Times, and the world ended in a cataclysmic explosion.
C: Wow. So it's all gone?
M: Not really. Age of Sigmar is the remnants of that setting, reborn like a phoenix rising from the ashes, but with a lot of new to it. Sigmar - he's basically the top good-guy god - survived the end of the world and found some friends and was introduced to a bunch of realms where people similar to the ones he knew lived. It's hard to simplify the background, but there are eight mortal realms, one for each form of magic, and there's a Chaos realm, there are people on each realm, fighting against Chaos and sometimes against each other. Chaos found the realms and smashed through them, but Sigmar built an army of elite magical warriors and is now pushing Chaos back. And that's where we enter the story, in a time of struggle and resistance, battle and betrayal.

What Do I Need?

C: Okay. So say I want to get into it. What do I need?
M: Dice, figures, and a ruler are all you really need to get started. All the rules for armies are online, as well as the basic rules. You can also buy the starter box, which gives you two armies, ruler, and some dice, the rules for the game, as well as a book giving you the story on the setting and the rules for units. All this stuff you see here. [M motions to AoS display.] If you have a friend who wants to play, you can split the cost of the box and divide the two armies.

The Rules

C: That little flyer there is the rules? Those are quick-start rules, then? There's a bigger rulebook?
M: No, that's it. The game's been boiled down to some rather simple rules, that allow for fast, cinematic battles. If you want more complexity, that's provided by the rules for individual units or models, called "warscrolls." Most of them have special rules that you'll want to pay attention to when you use them in battle.
C: I've heard that there's no points values in the game, nothing on army composition. Is that right?
M: Yes, that's right. You select armies as you set up the game. You and your opponent take turns setting up "warscrolls," determining what you want to use from your collection. You can counter an opponent's unit with a unit of your own to match it, if you want. You can find your own balance in the game, or even make up a scenario with your friends and fight it out, where one side might be hopelessly outnumbered. Imagine reenacting 300 but in a fantasy setting. Probably with fewer models, too, unless you have a parking lot to play in.
C: But what's to stop my opponent from placing the nastiest stuff he has on the table?
M: Well, we sell this wonderful book for Age of Sigmar. It contains an expanded background, rules for all of the newer units, and some scenarios you can play to change up the victory conditions. If all else fails, the book also works wonderfully for bludgeoning sense into your opponent. (Please note that Games Workshop does not condone the use of violence for social readjustment.)

Starting an Army

C: Alright, I'm interested. Say I want an army and don't want to get the starter box. How much are we talking here? I don't have a large budget to work with.
M: You can play as small or as big of a game as you want. If you have limited funds, you can start with a smaller force and add onto it as time goes on, playing games that match the size of your force.
C: That's good to know. So basic army, what would I want?
M: It really depends on the army you want to build. There are no limitations and you can mix factions, so any model you like can be used in an army. Restricting yourself to a particular faction or theme might help your army look less random, but it's your choice. I'd recommend a unit box or two and a hero clampack to get started. If you're looking into some of the older armies, you can pick up a battalion box and a hero, and you'll be set with multiple units, a hero to lead them, maybe a chariot or cannon or bolt thrower to provide support. It'll give you a good core to build off of.
C: Cool, I'll check out the boxes on the shelves then.
M: We also have a lot of webstore-exclusive models you might want to check out. You can use the terminal to order them and have them delivered here at no extra charge.
C: Thanks! I'll start planning my army now.
M: Don't forget to bring them back in when you're done so you can get started playing!

To explain the above... I was thinking about what I'd have to do if I'd tried for the job of local GW store manager. How would I sell Age of Sigmar to people? And then I figured, what the heck, let's write down this hypothetical conversation with a customer, and present it to people so they might find some inspiration themselves in how to discuss the game with someone they're trying to convert.

I think that covers what a new player would ask about the game. I might have missed something, if anyone thinks of something, feel free to suggest it. I might expand this as more comes to mind. (I already noticed I forgot notes on the modeling possibilities. D'oh.)

lordunborn
08-20-2015, 09:18 AM
I mostly lurk here and once i na blue moon log in to comment but this made me. Excellent post.

Thank you for the intelligent posting.

Chris

Mr Mystery
08-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Sales are easy.

Talk to customer/potential customer. Find out what brings them in today, establish a rapport.

Show off the game, using the boxed game. Tailor the enthusiasm to the consumer (lots for kids, bit more sober for adults). Tailor length to the consumer (show off the educational aspects to parents etc)

Finally, the only truly tricky bit to get right, because frankly there's a lot that can go wrong....tell the customer what they need, sell them what they want.

Infamous, satirical example of getting that last bit wrong?

http://jodrell.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/page-1.jpg

https://epicaddiction.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/page-2.jpg

Starts off reasonably well, explaining that the two purchases aren't for the same game....then it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

And yes, I'm reasonably sure GW have circulated that cartoon to staff!

Erik Setzer
08-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Finally, the only truly tricky bit to get right, because frankly there's a lot that can go wrong....tell the customer what they need, sell them what they want.

That's not *that* tricky, though. Give them their wide array of options and tell them there's no "wrong choice." Especially easy with AoS or unbound 40K, though they might find a spot of trouble getting games if their armies are all over the place (i.e. High Elves and Dwarfs alongside Skaven and Khorne, or Space Marines fighting alongside Tyranids).

Even then, you can gently guide someone in a direction where there's less trouble. If you're a manager, your job then also becomes finding people who will play the kid with the wild and crazy army. That's going a bit further than selling models, but it's a vital part of being a manager (at least here in the States, where people tend to mostly play at stores). The local manager was great at that, and I'm hoping beyond hope that whoever replaces him will understand that.

Say someone does get conflicting models... Well, that's the start of two forces. Are they having trouble finding games? Okay, then you introduce small games.

Let's say someone buys this set of models:

High Elf Archers
High Elf Tyranoc Chariot
Skaven Plague Monks
Skaven Warlord
Space Marine Tactical Squad

That might seem like a mess that can't be sorted out... but that's lacking imagination! It's a simple fix for this poor lad who can't find a game.

High Elves: Grab a character, good to go.
Skaven: Already a usable force in AoS.
Space Marines: Kill Team, 200 points, all set.

The tricky part with the Space Marines is that Kill Team is a separate purchase and adds a bit of extra rules that might be too much for a new player. You could recommend a 200 point Unbound match to them instead (even suggesting a house rule to run each model individually). They can also grab a Space Marine character and have a legal CAD army (HQ is the character, split the Tactical Squad box into two 5-man squads as two Troops). But then there's also the necessity of buying an $85 rulebook and a $58 codex, so to be able to play with $40 or $65 of models, they have to drop another $143. Ouch. That's an area AoS has a leg up (and one of the points you can use to sell it, though that then becomes tricky if they ask why 40K's rules are so expensive and AoS is free).

With the two fantasy forces, you'll easily have a playable force without much in the way of extra purchases. Technically, it's still playable without a character, and you could even claim there's some kind of hero on the chariot. This is only a tricky situation in that there's very few players who are actually willing to play such small battles.

And if the person wants to grab a box of Chaos Warriors the next week? Well, it's a Chaos Warband, with the Champion being their leader. It's also usable with the Skaven without being too hard to justify with the fluff.

It's the attitude of veteran players that makes both games tricky to sell at small sizes (and 40K's cost of entry for rules). Otherwise, let people buy a random mix of stuff, and you can help them figure out how to enjoy all of them.

Huh... On a negative note, that reminded me of one of the things I dislike about GW's method of finding store managers, they don't really worry that much about knowledge of the games, much less how to foster a community (which is important to get repeat customers). A good manager will know how to work things around to find a way for someone to enjoy the games no matter what they're buying.

nsc
08-20-2015, 12:54 PM
You don't need a hero or a character, any model can be declared as your general in age of sigmar. Any assortment of fantasy figures (citadel only of course, this is a games workshop we're hypothetically in) is a valid force in age of sigmar.

The actual sales pitch is more like someone walks into the store, realizes it's not the ice cream store which is next door and then they leave :p

But really the sell is more or less the starter kit, and "what do I need?" "nothing but models, dice and a way to measure distance"

You can also talk about beginner painting days/events (if the shop has any), also mention the youtube painting guides, etc etc.

Mr Mystery
08-20-2015, 12:58 PM
It is massively less daunting for a newcomer, and for my money a lot more appealing to existing hobbyists as we can buy pretty much whatever and still field it, so those odd models I've always fancied assembling-but-never-actually-painting-because-I'm-dead-lazy can see the field now.

nsc
08-20-2015, 01:17 PM
People are still shocked when I deploy a beastlord, it's a good thing.

Erik Setzer
08-20-2015, 01:18 PM
You don't need a hero or a character, any model can be declared as your general in age of sigmar.

Yeah, but come on, a hero looks cool, and the Rule of Cool means you should have one leading your force, right? Technically a champion or even "Spearman #37" can be your general, but it's just not as cool and the model won't be as awesome. So "mum's the word" with that technicality, right?

Unless it's a Chaos warband. Then it makes perfect sense to have a unit Champion be the leader if your "army" is a unit of Chaos Warriors. (At that point, I'd go with house ruling the game to allow individual models to act independently.)

Erik Setzer
08-20-2015, 01:31 PM
It is massively less daunting for a newcomer, and for my money a lot more appealing to existing hobbyists as we can buy pretty much whatever and still field it, so those odd models I've always fancied assembling-but-never-actually-painting-because-I'm-dead-lazy can see the field now.

My biggest thing is just that I can do a combined Chaos army again, which is mostly big because somehow I have a Beastman army that's pretty devoid of Core Units, even though I know it used to have plenty of them. I can just mix Beastmen, Chaos Warriors, and Daemons all together in one mass. Of course, I'll have to get some Warriors first, then actually get my Daemons rebased (mainly used them in 40K anyway), and probably just rebase the Beastmen, but that'll be easy because almost all of them are metal and it'll give me something to do with all those round slottabases I have.

But hey, if someone wants to have a Dwarf-Empire gunfest, or Jurassic Park out there, they can totally do it.

As a mildly "insane" modeler, I'm the kind of person who would just take it as an excuse to do insane stuff, like a group of sci-fi wanderers who accidentally stumbled upon the Realms, a literal Fyreslayer (oh, that one's already half-finished on my work desk, at least the modeling part), or even figure out some way to do the "Technomancers" mentioned in the book (hmm, maybe combine some Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus bits with Warhammer bits?).

Great... now I need to find more time to model and buy some stuff to play with...