PDA

View Full Version : 400 point combat patrol

Hendrik Booraem VI
08-14-2015, 06:31 AM
My second son (the one who plays orks) dominates our combat patrol matches. Even when it looks like he's going to lose, he wins. Because he has a stupidly simple list:

HQ - Painboy
Elite - Mega-armored nobz, trukk
Troops - 10 boyz w/shootas, Boss nob, Big shoota
Troops - 10 boyz w/shootas, Boss nob, Big shoota

Obviously, he attaches the painboy to the MANZ and they all ride in the Trukk.

The list is legit, even for CAD armies, so he's ahead of the rest of us (our Combat Patrol rules use Adepticon 2013 guidelines, 0-1 HQ, Elites, Fast Attack, Heavy, 1-3 Troops, +1 to any of those). But none of us, at 400 points, can take on his MANZ.

I almost had him last night with my Iron Hands-successor chapter (Hands of the Emperor) using this list:

Troops - 10 Space Marines, multi-melta, plasma gun (combat squadded, hvy/special weapons in one squad, sgt in the other)
Fast Attack - 5 assault marines, jumppacks, Sgt w/power axe
Heavy Support - 5 Devastators, 2 ML, 2 Hvy Bolters

I managed to eliminate one of his boyz mobs on turn one by hitting it with the missile launchers (frag missiles do much better than I had expected) and then they failed their save and ran off the table. I managed to immobilize his trukk with my devastators and ran my tac squads back to try to get out of charge range of the MANZ. I was able to keep him off me for a turn, but when he finally charged, it was as if I had set up a perfect checkerboard for him - when I couldn't kill him immediately, he bounced from one unit to the next, to the next, until he came within 1" of charge range of my devastators. I went from having him on the ropes to losing by 4 points in two turns.

The assault marines were good at grabbing an objective for me, but I'm thinking about pulling the power axe off the sgt (I don't even know why that was there, honestly), and dropping the heavy bolters for lascannons. The problem is that, with the same list, I have to be able to fight my oldest sons Tyranids list, which includes outflanking genestealers and a unit of shrikes.

Someone suggested in a different thread that I try a Thunderfire cannon, so I thought I might attempt a list like this:

Troops - Scouts x5, camo cloaks, sniper rifles
Troops - Tac marines x5, multi-melta, razorback
Troops - tac marines x5, multi-melta
Heavy - Thunderfire cannon

Seems like the TF cannon would give me the anti-horde firepower I would need, and the snipers would enhance it to a degree. Combined with the bolster defenses of the Techmarine, the camo cloaks would give them at least a 3+ save, if not 2+. The Tac marines would capture objectives (we have four scenarios, one has five objectives, one has three (moveable) objectives, one has two objectives per side that deep strike, and one is just controlling table quarters) and with the multi-meltas they would (maybe?) be able to hurt the MANZ if they had to...

I'm open to suggestions at this point. I don't currently have the TF cannon model, scouts, or a razorback, so I'd be looking at spending about $150 to get this list up and running, but I'm almost ready to do that (lol).

Path Walker
08-14-2015, 06:57 AM
I think your current list should be able to deal, maybe swap out that MM on the Tacticals for another ML, maybe replace the Heavy Bolters too, ML are more versatile and deal with a lot of the stuff in that list.

Use everything you can to disable the trukk turn one, its only AV10 so shouldn't be hard with 3 Krak missles, leaving the Meganobz to slog it on foot (they can't run because of Slow and Purposeful), gives you time to deal with the boyz (as you've seen, in small mobs they break quickly) with frags and bolters as they run at you, leaving the MANZ to face all your shooting by the time they get close.