PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader Tournaments?

Atrocity
03-15-2010, 12:21 PM
So I'm going to a local Con in 2 weeks and the 40k tournament there is going by Rogue Trader rules. I'm still pretty new to the hobby (this will be my first tourney) and have a fair amount of my models in my list basecoated or not completely painted.

I asked the Con organizers (who in turn asked the GM(s)) if there was a minimum requirement for painting and they just told me to search GW's website and read the PDFs there. (Found at: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=5200003&section=community&aId=14700014). Am I correct in deducing there isn't a minimum amount of painting required? I do understand that there are points to be had for the 3 paint minimum for the majority of the army, etc.

Also as someone going to their first tournament what advice can you offer up?

Atrocity

karandras
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Most RTT require a minimum of 3 colors per model to be playable. If it is just a local RTT, they may be willing to let you play with primed, or even *GASP* unpainted models, but you probably wanna check before you show up. It would suck to show up and be turned away.

Culven
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
If it is using Rogue Trader Tournament rules, you may have points awarded for painting, army composition, and sportsmanship. For painting, three colours is typically the minimum with more points for effort, detail, unit identification, picking out special models, and so forth. Comp is judged differently, but generally more Troops (40% of total points) is good and fewer points spent on other FOCs is good. Try to spend no more than 25% on any one of them. Sportsmanship is subjective, and can be abused. Make sure you play nice and if your score is tanked by an opponent. talk to a judge. Some players will give minimum sportsmanship scores so that they have a better chance of winning.

As for the tournament, know the basic rules and those for your own army as well as you can. Also, if an opponent tries something suspect, say "I didn't know you can do that. How does that work?" If you feign curiosity about their army, you are more likely to either learn something you didn't know about it or catch them trying to cheat without coming off as a jerk about it.