PDA

View Full Version : Necrons in January?

DarkLink
03-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Here's a tidbit I just found on warseer:

Hello, I can't start a thread.

I have some information regarding the development of a Necron codex. I do not normally come on Warseer, but thought you would appreciate this information – hence the small number of posts. You have no reason to put faith in me – and I am not prepared to prove my validity at potential detriment to my career. I do not want to specify my exact employment with Games Workshop for this reason.

Necrons have completed the initial concept phase of their line expansion. Release schedule is currently for January 2011.

This conceptual phase has been stop-start for some time – it is a product range that has massive potential, and Games Workshop have been very uncertain of the most lucrative theme by which to capitalise on its fanbase. The development is considered a high-risk investment – a commitment problem that the team is well aware of, and is exacerbated by there being multiple such high-risk line expansions currently being pursued.

3 multi-part plastic kits have been finalised as:

- Immortals
- Spyders
- The Necromancer

Immortals are on a large (35mm) base; they are redesigned as larger, bulkier and more dynamic.

Spyders have 3 different builds

The Necromancer is the central sell of the line expansion and has been the focus of much of the early design process. It has been through several incarnations (and names), but is essentially of the same principle as the Bone Giant for the Warhammer Fantasy range. It has a mechanised skeletal torso housing a suspended crystal, and will likely have a choice between two horrific weapons.

That is all the information I can disclose. I will not post any more.

I would like to add that development staff are getting very frustrated by headquarters’ increasingly tyrannical policies – within and between departments – with regards to information restriction. It’s absurd, and unnecessary.

Here's the link:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249667

ZenPaladin
03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Hmm.. well that's surely intresting..

Not sure if its real or not but it does seem in keeping with what rumors are out there. As a Necron player the date of 01/11 kind of leaves me cold. (its so far away!) But better late than never right?

The necromancer sounds like a fun and useful modle. Having my own WraithLordish guy sounds right. Not liking the name so much. Neuromancer? Oh! Nanomancer... yeah.. that would be groovy.

Aldramelech
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Goodbye

Herald of Nurgle
03-15-2010, 01:57 PM
EVERYTHING points to a complete rewrite of the Necrons, much like Orks in 2008 (a metric crapton of models and kits out at once)

Lerra
03-15-2010, 02:20 PM
A spokesperson at Forgeworld confirmed that both Necrons and Dark Eldar are getting a complete rewrite. GW has put a hold on Necron/DE rules from Forgeworld because they would not mesh with the new codices, and it wouldn't make sense for Forgeworld to release models or special rules for an army that is changing so drastically in the next year or so.

The goal release date of Jan '11 meshes well with rumors that Dark Eldar are getting a Fall '10 release.

Drew da Destroya
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd call BS on this poster working for GW. The little "Freedom Fighter" speech seems like it's just there to gain credibility. Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if most of what he said was true, he isn't really going out on any limbs (excepting the Necromancer idea).

Immortals/spyders as a multipart plastic? Sounds obvious. More options for units? Of course. Like Herald says... Everything points to a full rewrite.

Also, anyone else like the idea of the Robot Army being released on 01 01 11?

ggg
03-15-2010, 02:28 PM
If I was on the design and development team it would frustrate the hell out of me to be so severely restricted from discussing and engaging with the community and target base when working on a product and hobby of this nature. There seems to be a current obsession with dropping fully fledged products on to us with little warning as a fete accompli. The fear of industrial espionage seems to be more akin to some IT companies and wholly misplaced. GW does not really have any competitors in the little men range as far as I can see that would warrant the 'tyrannical approach' described. We see an awful lot more about computer games in development without any harm.

The transition from small town fringe hobby to international concern has perhaps led to a distancing of culture. This is a shame. Those of us who care about the hobby enough to be interested in future developments tend to be hard core hobbyists (also more mature ahem,) are not going to spend less on minis due to knowing about what is coming- and the kids who get their parents to buy them some space marines for a while before dropping it would not have a clue about the greater debate or ideas being discussed.

I think the hobby would benefit from the leash being slackened a tad -

ggg
03-15-2010, 02:30 PM

--- well observed! Does anyone know how to translate binary?

DarkLink
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Hes either very well informed and works at Nottingham or a very sad little man. I cant decide which yet.

I'd call BS on this poster working for GW.

Yeah, the poster doesn't have any real credibility. It was literally his first post on warseer, iirc. We do have some other, more reliable rumors hinting that necrons are coming up, though, so it is possible.

Personally, I don't get worked up over rumors much anyways, so if this turns out false, no big deal.

:D

Duke
03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
This seems neat, but after the mess that was the 'leaked PDF,' for Blood Angels I am VERY skeptical.

Duke

RocketRollRebel
03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Drew da Destroya;61744]I'd call BS on this poster working for GW. The little "Freedom Fighter" speech seems like it's just there to gain credibility. Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if most of what he said was true, he isn't really going out on any limbs (excepting the Necromancer idea).

Immortals/spyders as a multipart plastic? Sounds obvious. More options for units? Of course. Like Herald says... Everything points to a full rewrite.

Also, anyone else like the idea of the Robot Army being released on 01 01 11?[/QUO

They so should release them on that date. Though I'm highly skeptical of this dude. The freedom fighter reporting from revolution HQ's basement thing was pretty lame.

tjkopena
03-15-2010, 08:51 PM
--- well observed! Does anyone know how to translate binary?

It doesn't really mean anything notable without some other indicator of the encoding. As a straight binary number with righthand least significant bits it just means "23." In the most common character schemes that could be plausibly interpreted as either an unprintable character, an unprintable character, or a "#" though the latter is a less plausible interpretation. As three separate numbers it just means 1 1 3 under the same ordering assumption. In general, you need a lot of binary digits to spell out an actual word, at least 6 per character under common encoding schemes.

eldargal
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Very skeptical, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. It would be nice to see another non-Imperium army get a full revamp, and I say this as someone to whom Necrons are Number Two on her Most Disliked Armies List (way behind Tau at number one).

silashand
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Personally, I don't get worked up over rumors much anyways, so if this turns out false, no big deal.

Same here. Not sure why some folks are all up in arms about it maybe being false. If it is, and he posts again, you'll know not to trust his info. If not, then it's good to know the tidbits he is able to share. Either way it does nothing but spur discussion about the hobby which IMO is a good thing.

Cheers, Gary

Melissia
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
It's relatively concurrent with the rumors that came out of GW Germany a while back.

January 2010
We already know about Tyranids.
February 2010
We also already know about the beastmen.
March 2010
Warhammer 40k combat forces and maybe Warhammer Fantasy wave.
April 2010
Blood Angels with a few more combat forces stuff.
Summer 2010
New Edition that follow the new basic box with orcs and Empire then in September the first tomb Kings of Khemri and later also the ogres expect us kingdoms.
September 2010
Black Templar.
November 2010
Dark Eldar, yet they might come out in January or February 2011.
Winter 2010 / early 2011
Grey Knights (not Inquisition) and Necrons.

So far it's been roughly corroborated. We got nids, beastmen, some new models,blood angels and spearhead are coming soon, next edition of WFB is coming soon after. Assuming they keep to the schedule, we can expect BTs, then either DE, Necrons, or Grey Knights.

JxKxR
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I've always wanted to do a Necron army, but have been waiting for a new codex. I'll wait until january and if there still isn't a new codex Ill just wait a little longer.

p.s. Is it just me or has GW been releasing new stuff faster?

Drew da Destroya
03-18-2010, 11:12 PM

I think you're right. I feel like this year's release schedule has been pretty tight, where last year felt more spread out. It's beginning to feel like they may pull off the 5-codex year, plus a Fantasy revamp!

DarkLink
03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I've always wanted to do a Necron army, but have been waiting for a new codex. I'll wait until january and if there still isn't a new codex Ill just wait a little longer.

3 codices in roughly 6 months. I'd say they are definitely picking up the pace.

Melissia
03-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah . Maybe they'll get to Sisters before the end fo the world after all.

Duke
03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Nah, Sisters are scheduled for Jan 2013... So tough luck.

Duke

Drew da Destroya
03-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Nah, Sisters are scheduled for Jan 2013... So tough luck.

Duke

I'm pretty sure they're scheduled to come out right after Codex: Squats.

Commissar Lewis
03-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Ah, yeah, the 2012 thing. I tell ya what, on Dec 21 of 2012 I'm gonna be sitting in a lawn chair, drinking a bottle of Jack, while blasting The Final Countdown on a stereo.

That way if the world does indeed end, not only will I have died in the apocalypse but I will have the best story to tell in the afterlife.

On topic, though, I am hoping for a new Sisters codex and maybe a plastic kit. Sisters were my first army before I went Guard and still are a favorite. And new Necrons would certainly make playing against my friend Fernando a bit more interesting.

Subject Keyword
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Looks fake...
But hey, a new Gorillaz album just came out (after 5 years of waiting), so I guess anything is possible, right?

The Necromancer sounds awesome.

BeakieHelmet
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Well you know, it wouldn't have to be new year's day, it could also be 01-10-11