PDA

View Full Version : Bricks, yes that right, I said Bricks!

Aldramelech
03-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Goodbye

Rapture
03-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Depending on the quantity of bricks you need to paint, hardware stores should sell some different textured spray paints that work well for any kind of stone. I recently did some ruins of of foam and a coat of grey textured paint really made them look like they were made of rough cut stone.

Aldramelech
03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Goodbye

Lord Azaghul
03-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Here is what I used (wish I had a pic, but I donated the stuff to the store)

Prime black,
Base Dark Grey
Next use a watered down crimson, or cranberry - it will look pinkish until it dries - don't panic.

Overbrush/dry brush a dark red over top.

Next Dry Brush in a brown/burnt orange (1.2 mix)

...I think that's the order i used.
But it might have done the orange first, then the red...its been a while!

Aldramelech
03-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Goodbye

Lord Azaghul
03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
It did take a little time and a bit of trail and error. I've heard other people say brick a tricky one, so good luck!

therealjohnny5
03-15-2010, 01:55 PM
after you prime, try a light grey and white if you want the light cement look inbetween bricks. if not just base coat that puppy a medium to dark brown and dry brush a dark red (like scab red) then slap different bricks with various washes to help that varied brick look (Blood red, Badab, Gryphon, Devlin) unless you'd rather base coat various bricks different shades...if so, good luck!

oh and hit it with the textured spray as the base.

Akkon Sek
03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Black base -> red or brown dry-brush -> medium to dark grey stipple works well for me.

Brush: bigger the better and very little actual paint when it comes to the stipple. The rest are per taste.

Aldramelech
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Goodbye

Lerra
03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I did quick bricks on a large brick house piece of terrain this way:

Prime with Rustoleum Red Primer (it dries as a rusty red-brown color)
Wash with brown (Devlan Mud)
Dry brush with red-orange

The red primer is a lifesaver if you've got a large brick surface to paint.

lobster-overlord
03-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I did a "new" look on a train set part once, I primed white (hadn paint primer gave it a motled effect in the mortar) and then dry brushed in red. It was quick, uneven and looked great.

john M.