PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy an army today:) A little help please?

Petite Francois
03-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Good morning Bell of Lost Souls Privateer fans!

All night I tossed and turned, excited about getting a new Hordes Skorne army today. I saw the painting of Supreme Archdomina Makeda, and knew right away I wanted to build an army around her. Today also happens to be a Game Day Event at Ward Warehouse in Honolulu, sponsored by Other Realms, and that, in addition to some of the most fun gaming and hobbying means discount! So today is the day I hope.

Do I need all three Horde books to play a Supreme Archdomina Makeda army? I wanted to buy a Makeda, a Skorne battle box, and maybe some Venators, would that be a good start? I'm sorry, I know all my questions could be answered by reading the books, but I have to get the books at the same time as the models to get the cool discount, so please advise me?

Thank you very much!
Frankie

the_puritan
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Welcome to Skorne!

I recently picked Skorne up too (not long before the Hordes field test)
...just keep in mind that the Hordes stuff still isn't 100% finalized, so things could still possibly change from what you're seeing in the 1/29 PDF.

I'm not sure what books you're talking about but, if you're talking about Primal or Metamorphasis, those are MKI books and are essentially obsolete. They'll have good fluff and painting stuff in there, but the rules are outdated... I hope they're not charging you a lot for them.

The most current rules and model stats are available on the PP website for free download:
http://privateerpress.com/company/hordes-field-test-model-update-0

Anyway, Makeda is certainly considered to be a top tier warlock for Skorne. They can both make your force move up the feild with some great speed boosts which is a HUGE help to some of the great beasts and units that are a bit on the slow side (such as Cetrati or Bronzeback/Gladiator)

If you're playing Makeda, you are practically obligated to also be playing Molik Karn. He can charge in, hit something with his full compliment of attacks and then run away after (using Fate Walker and Makeda's Leash spell) so your opponent will have a tough time catching him.

So, your shopping list should looks something like:
Makeda (either the regular or Epic version, either way, you can't go wrong)
Molik Karn
Cataphract Cetrati
Pratorian Swordsmen
Bronzeback Titan
Tyrant Commander/Standard Bearer
...and maybe an Agonizer for good measure.

anyway, good luck!

Petite Francois
03-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Wow, thank you The_Puritan! That reply was wonderful, thank you for not only answering my questions, but for the great Army collection guide!

Be well, and be blessed!
Frankie

Bigred
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Have fun with the new Skorne army, and be sure to let us see how they emerge as you paint them up Petite Francois.

A lot of the BoLS readers are just getting into Warmachine/Hordes right now, so we're all learning together.

Lux
03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Skorne is all about the internal synergies. You'll need to be more attentive to list-construction than with some of the other factions, and it will probably take awhile to really figure out. Of course, once you "get it", those guys can do some really, really mean combos.

Lux