View Full Version : Storm Raven conversion

isotope99
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/578/DSC00950.JPGhttp://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/578/DSC00966.JPG

Storm Raven build - No plasticard or greenstuff.

Almost complete.

It's a Ravenwing lander as I have some Dark Angels and I didn't want to start my army over.

The main kits are a Valkyrie and a Land Speeder and, although I have raided my bits box for better weapons like the Stromlord Vulcan Mega Bolter, you can almost build one from just these 2 kits.

A bit small perhaps, but better than the flying land raider design IMHO.

Lerra
03-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Looks great =) I really like the design.

Herald of Nurgle
03-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Wow. I mean honestly, wow.

This is BEAUTIFUL as far as conversions go. Well done, mate.

You wouldn't mind if I stole your design, right? :P

and justice for all
03-12-2010, 01:35 PM
That is a real tidy conversion. Well done indeed. I'd actually buy that if it was a kit!

david5th
03-12-2010, 02:15 PM
That is a real tidy conversion. Well done indeed. I'd actually buy that if it was a kit!

Same here, thats an amazing piece of work.:)

Quaade
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
That's a really nice conversion, but I think it's too small to hold 12 models AND a dreadnought.
I personally wouldn't buy it on the table, not because it's bad work, it just seems too small.

Aldramelech
03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Goodbye

isotope99
03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
It's hard to get a picture of but there's a clamp on the underside for holding the dreadnought. It would have to be thunderhawk scale to hold a dread inside the hull.
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/566/DSC00968.JPG

isotope99
03-12-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/566/DSC00969.JPG

... and I'm already building a Looted Thunda Ork

Aldramelech
03-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Goodbye

sangrail777
03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I really only dislike that the pilot and co-pilot are sticking out the topo like that it just screams uber-cheesy for me. otherwise nice idea, I'll have to keep it in mind. I woulda hoped conversiions like this wouldn't be needed but considering they still haven't come out with Thunderwolves kits (possibly one of the coolest units in the game) I'm not gonna hold my breath for a Stormraven so I guess these kinds of conversions will be the best we can get.

Bigred
03-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I like where you're going with this. We've been using Arvus Lighters for Stormraven standins so far. They are basically flying lunchboxes.

lobster-overlord
03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I have an old metal Thunderhawk that is screaming to be built now.... slightly smaller than the resin one, I think it might make a suitable substitution. Although, I don't know what will actually get me to build something I've had sitting in a box for 10 years.

John M.

TopToffee
03-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I have an old metal Thunderhawk that is screaming to be built now.... slightly smaller than the resin one, I think it might make a suitable substitution. Although, I don't know what will actually get me to build something I've had sitting in a box for 10 years.

John M.

hang on...

you've had a Thunderhawk for 10 years and haven't built it??!?!

therealjohnny5
03-12-2010, 11:11 PM
hang on...

you've had a Thunderhawk for 10 years and haven't built it??!?!

yeah, i'll second that...sell it to me. i'll build it.

david5th
03-13-2010, 06:04 AM
i have an old metal thunderhawk that is screaming to be built now.... Slightly smaller than the resin one, i think it might make a suitable substitution. Although, i don't know what will actually get me to build something i've had sitting in a box for 10 years.

John m.

wtf!!!!!

lobster-overlord
03-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Have you ever tried building one of those? They arn't easy... it's been started twice, and there are manythings that cancause it to fall apart easily. plus having kids doesn't help.

BTW, I do really like the ship this thread is about. Although I agree with the idea that the figures sitting up is kind of odd, but next to the old landspeeder, this would be natural.

John M>

isotope99
03-13-2010, 07:16 AM
I think/hope that it will look better once I complete the canopy roof and add a clear plastic windscreen and heads up display. Got to paint it first though.

Duke
03-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I agree, the only thing I don't like about it is the cockpit. Other are right that it might be a little small, but all in all it is better than an Arvus lander (Yea Im looking at you big red). lol I have half a mind to do the "Cobra gunship," version this weekend. Well see how it goes

Duke

RocketRollRebel
03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Looking good. I think my Valks are gonna me stand ins until this dude comes out.

sorienor
03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
That is very similar to what I had envisioned, except I want to keep the tail and build a harness that would be for holding the dred under it.

Awesome work. love it.

BDub
03-13-2010, 12:31 PM
I really only dislike that the pilot and co-pilot are sticking out the topo like that it just screams uber-cheesy for me. otherwise nice idea,

Do you remember the old Thunderhawks with the marines stuck out on the wingtip in little gun pods?

Anyways, very nice work. The only thing I think is over the top is the Vulcan Mega Bolter. IT seems out of proportion. I am curious why you didn't go with the twin linkked assoult cannon or scratch build something along that scale?

lobster-overlord
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Those marines sticking out of hte guns are the same parts as the whirlwind tops from the old style model. the head sticks up.

This work reminds me of the old and the new landspeeders, but not to the point where it doesn't fit in since it's overall a similar style

John M.

isotope99
03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Do you remember the old Thunderhawks with the marines stuck out on the wingtip in little gun pods?

Anyways, very nice work. The only thing I think is over the top is the Vulcan Mega Bolter. IT seems out of proportion. I am curious why you didn't go with the twin linkked assoult cannon or scratch build something along that scale?

The short answer is I have been waiting for ages to find a suitable model to put that weapon on, and couldn't resist.

I agree the assault cannons from the LR crusader, the new Baal etc. would be more faithful to the background.

lobster-overlord
03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I think the mega bolter is great. The other weapons vary in sizes, like the man-portable Space Marine lascannon is smaller than the Cadian HW team, which is smaller than the Leman russ Hull mounted one, so having assault canoons of different sizes isn't too out of whack.

John M>

Angelus Mortifer
03-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Isotope, any chance you can provide pics of the rear?

It's looking pretty good and better than I envisioned it would from my own Valk-bashing imagination. It's personal taste I know, but likewise I think the T/L Asst Cannon should have been smaller, and the crew cockpit should be enclosed but hey - it's your model and kudos for what you've done :)

You realise you get two weapon options as standard, the other being T/L Hvy Bolters? You could always but them on the underneath of the hull and a Razorback kit should work pretty well...

Javin
03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Nice work.

person person
03-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Top-notch, My only real complaint is the cockpit and assault cannon, but hey, the assault cannon looks way killier!

Ebsolom Dhaark
03-14-2010, 04:43 AM
A very nice bit of kitbashing to create a credible looking Storm Raven. Now go get some paint on it:p

MarneusCalgar
03-14-2010, 05:12 AM
AWESOME!!

Itīs a little smaller than the one I just imagined but itīs pretty original.

Cheers!!

isotope99
03-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Isotope, any chance you can provide pics of the rear?

It's looking pretty good and better than I envisioned it would from my own Valk-bashing imagination. It's personal taste I know, but likewise I think the T/L Asst Cannon should have been smaller, and the crew cockpit should be enclosed but hey - it's your model and kudos for what you've done :)

You realise you get two weapon options as standard, the other being T/L Hvy Bolters? You could always but them on the underneath of the hull and a Razorback kit should work pretty well...

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/578/DSC00965.JPG

Extra engines from the land speeder.

I'll post again once the thing's painted and the cockpit is completed.

The H bolters are tucked away next to the missiles. I didn't want them too prominent. You can sort of see them on the underside pic.

Angelus Mortifer
03-14-2010, 10:51 AM
The H bolters are tucked away next to the missiles. I didn't want them too prominent. You can sort of see them on the underside pic.

Looks very good mate. My only quibble with the Hvy Bolters is they are one weapon and there may be slight issues with shooting and measuring.

praxis
03-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Thats an excellent looking piece of kit, well done ! If land speeders looked like that they would be believable but that would mean your stormraven would have to be even bigger. Very very nice.

lobster-overlord
03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Thats an excellent looking piece of kit, well done ! If land speeders looked like that they would be believable but that would mean your stormraven would have to be even bigger. Very very nice.

This from a world where Rhinos can barely fit a driver and a gunner yet are supposed to have 10 guys, plus the driver and gunner.

But then again, I think space marines wear transformer power armor which allows them to stow themselves away in smaller space during drop insertions.

Archon
03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Very nice conversion - a little bit small, but itīs build from available GW Parts an the idea of the clamped on dread ist a good compromise. And itīs build for the right chapter;)

PS: I wonder how many DA, BT, or Vanilla-Armys would play with the rules for the red ones :confused:

patzgcrux
03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Great job mate, you are my inspiration for the conversion that I did yesterday.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=5867

isotope99
04-03-2010, 03:56 AM
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/578/DSC00983.JPG
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/578/DSC00982.JPGhttp://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/578/DSC00981.JPGhttp://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/578/DSC00980.JPG

Finally finished painting this. Unfortunately, my miniature photography stinks.

Thanks very much for everyone's comments, am factoring them in to version 2.

I'm pretty pleased with the dismounting dreadnought pose, it helps sell the dreadnought transport option.

Grimnar42
04-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Overall I like this minimum kits for parts maximum bang for ur buck. Just a few things I would do different.
I like the landspeeder cockpit use it just looks to high for me needs to be lower the main chassis could be extended a bit which would allow the tail plane to be set a bit more back and a tad higher and the vulcan bolter looks to big on the model making it look out of proportion. Mind you in reality it may look great pictures do tend to distort things a bit