PDA

View Full Version : Transports and Ramming

LoverzCry
03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey there guys, I was checking out the Tank Shock! rules and Ramming, and a though occured to me. When Ramming, after all the rolls and models removed (or not) if the vehicle doing the ramming is a transport, can the troops still pour out and shoot/assault? It doesn't say that you can't in the rulebook, but considering if you ram into a tank that'd kinda be like a Crew Shaken result just base. *shrugs* I dunno, just trying to clear it up : P

papa smurf
03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
that's actually a pretty good question there, i never thought about that. well unless it is an assault vehicle you probably can't assault, but all the vehicle is doing is moving in an aggressive manner, so to speak, but since it is still your movement phase i wouldn't see a problem with that.

although i'd be a little angry at my driver if he did that when i was still in the transport, especially if the transport gets death or glory'd by some brave/insane individual! :D

gannam
03-11-2010, 10:19 AM
My understanding is that it really applies to vehicle movement rules.

If the transport moved more than 6 inches, then the units can disembark, but cannot assault or move any further than the normal disembark move (page 67)

If the transport was stationary when the units disembarked then they can assault. so example, movement phase. disembark units, tank shock. units then assault something. (page 67)

If the transport suffers a "crew shaken or crew stunned" result and the embarked units were still inside, then they cannot shoot in the upcoming shooting phase.

Remember that units can assault out of open topped vehicles even if they move flat out (Page 70). The crew shaken results still apply.

Lord Azaghul
03-11-2010, 10:55 AM
We actually did have this come up in a game recently.
Tanks can still shot if you didn't move more then 6" as well.

gannam
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
We actually did have this come up in a game recently.
Tanks can still shot if you didn't move more then 6" as well.

This is correct.

To make this kind of attack, first turn the vehicle on the
spot in the direction you intend to move it and declare
how many inches the vehicle is going to move. The
vehicle must move at least at combat speed. Note that
because pivoting on the spot does not count as
moving, this is not enough for a tank shock.

Lord Azaghul
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
This is not true. The tank shock rules specifically state that you must move at least at combat speed, so you cannot tank shock less than 6 inches. (page 68)

To make this kind of attack, first turn the vehicle on the
spot in the direction you intend to move it and declare
how many inches the vehicle is going to move. The
vehicle must move at least at combat speed. Note that
because pivoting on the spot does not count as
moving, this is not enough for a tank shock.

Isn't combat speed >0"-6"? - Think the rule means you can not simply pivot to gain a tank shock.
Its combat speed
Crusing speed
flat out

I'll double check the rules when I get home.

gannam
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
You are right. Combat speed is 0 to 6 inches. I will modify my earlier post. (page 57)

Nabterayl
03-11-2010, 12:52 PM
When Ramming, after all the rolls and models removed (or not) if the vehicle doing the ramming is a transport, can the troops still pour out and shoot/assault?
Shooting: Yes for non-Fast transports, no for Fast transports.
Assaulting: Yes for non-Fast open/topped transports and assault vehicles, no for Fast transports, assault transports or no.

The reason is that you cannot ram without moving at top speed, whatever your top speed happens to be (see page 69), and you cannot disembark if you moved Flat Out (see page 70).

Hence, if you are a non-Fast transport, you can Ram by moving at Cruising Speed (which is your top speed). Nothing prevents you from disembarking from a transport that moved at Cruising Speed, which means you could disembark and shoot, and (if the nature of your transport and the nature of your shooting did not otherwise prevent you) assault.

If you are a Fast transport, though, you can only Ram by moving Flat Out, since that is your top speed. In that case, page 70 prevents you from disembarking, which also obviously prevents you from assaulting.

Additionally, I note that page 66 de facto prevents passengers in a Ramming vehicle from shooting from inside the vehicle, as the transport will always be moving too fast.

DarkLink
03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
If the transport moved more than 6 inches, then the units can disembark, but cannot assault or move any further than the normal disembark move (page 67)

If the vehicle moves at all the unit cannot assault after disembarking.

BuFFo
03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Tank Shock and Ramming both follow the regular rules of assaulting from a transport.