PDA

View Full Version : D-Company 2010 Big Game

DCompanyChris
03-10-2010, 08:55 PM
D-Company’s 2010 Warhammer 40k Big Game was an unbelievable event. 25 veteran Warhammer 40k players and multiple spectators came together for two days of absolute 40k mayhem.

In the scenario, Imperial forces launched a desperate attack against an Ork held planet in an effort to destroy their heavy vehicle production facilities. The scenario was the latest in a series of narrative large game events D-Company has strung together over the last few years.

The game itself was a modeling showcase. 160,000 points of models, many scratch built and all of which were fully painted, were in play on a 36’ x 12’ playing space. The battle included more than 30 flyer models ranging from grot flyers to Space Marine Thunderhawks, 45 super heavy walkers and vehicles, and a playing area full of hand built and painted terrain, much of which was designed specifically for the scenario.

Five full turns were played, starting with the Imperial’s first phase on Friday night after an extensive set-up operation. Although the Imperials made significant progress in the face of difficult odds, at the end, the Orks held a majority of the objective counters and claimed a victory in the scenario.

Pictures of the event are available online at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ethmongul/BigGame2010?feat=directlink

D-Company’s next big game scenario event will take place at Rock-Con 2010, in October, where the group will have both a floor game and large scale tabletop scenarios. Members of the group are also planning a themed 40k tournament for September. Details on the upcoming events will be available on the group’s on-line forum in the next few weeks.

Jwolf
03-11-2010, 09:18 AM
That's awesome. I love the games where you are just removing models from units every time a Battlecannon fires; no need to lay out templates, just say "Battlecannon, lose 4 guys" and move right on.

Lord Azaghul
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
That is simply awesome.

TSINI
03-11-2010, 09:38 AM
wow i wonder how many models were lost as casualties to the "wrong footing" of players? lol

how on earth did you move around on that board?

anyways, very impressive

Duke
03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
If you haven't already you need to write a tutorial on how to host large games... We have done some approaching this size but it always get so frustrating.

By the way, this is awesome!

Duke

Just_Me
03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Very awesome, exactly the sort of game I have always wanted to take part in.

DCompanyChris
03-11-2010, 08:35 PM
The game itself was fantastic, and model shoveling has become common practice in our big games.

Trial and error has shown us that floor games are best for things of this scope. It's simply too hard to do it on a table. Likewise, trial and error has shown us that no matter how long the playing area is made, 12 feet is the proper width.

As for models getting stepped on, its always a danger, especially after we've had a few, but its never as much of an issue as you might think. Shoes come off and only socks are allowed. Even the largest and least dexterous among us can dance in as necessary.

If you'd like to jump into one of our big games, the next one will be at Rock-Con in October. Its a great little con with a good chunk of 40k getting played. We've been putting on events there for several years. GW's Dave Swan came two years ago, and couldn't believe how much 40k was getting played there, and then GW showed up last year with their Operation Shadowstrike event.

This year we're going to have a floor game on Friday and an interconnected set of large tabletop games on Saturday. Feel free to drop me a PM or email if you want more information about our games at Rock-con or how we pull off these type of games.

Cheers
CT