PDA

View Full Version : Gondor force - advice please

Cryl
08-05-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm currently working on my Gondor Army and would appreciate advice from more experienced players on which direction to go in. I've currently got the following models

The Fellowship
Faramir
Prince Imrahil
King of the Dead
Captain of Dol Amroth
Banner Bearer of Dol Amroth
4 Mounted Knights of Dol Amroth
6 Foot Knights
18 Knights of Minas Tirith
16 Archers of Minas Tirith
32 Warriors of Minas Tirith
1 Command group for Minas Tirith (Captain, Banner Bearer and Hornblower)
20 Army of the Dead
1 Banner Bearer of the Dead
1 Avenger Bolt Thrower
6 Rangers of the North

It's quite a strange mix, mostly because I traded a lot with a friend for a Warriors of Chaos Fantasy army as I just couldn't get into WHFB.

Anyway my question is what should I add to this and how should I be playing this lot. I'm a huge fan of the Dol Amroth mounted Knights, the models are lovely and they look really effective on paper but if they're actually not worth it I still have them in their packs so I can exchange them if they're actually not worth having. I also like the look of the Court of the Dead King for dealing with monsters (the only other person in my gaming group to play WotR plays Isengard and likes his trolls!)

I'm tempted to add some more Rangers of the North (but using Gondor Ranger models mixed with the metals I have now) as they look really good on paper, alternatively I was considering allies in the form of Legolas and some Mirkwood Sentinels as longbows with enchanted cloaks looks quite appealing.

Any and all advice welcome :)

Cryl
08-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Ok so having added a few more models I've come up with the following as good starting 1750 point army

Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth 125
4 Companies Warriors of Minas Tirith with Captain, Horn Blower, Banner 200
4 Companies Warriors of Minas Tirith with Captain, Horn Blower, Banner 200
4 Companies Knights of Minas Tirith 120
4 Companies Knights of Minas Tirith 120
4 Companies Knights of Dol Amroth with Captain and Banner 285
4 Companies of The Grey Company 235
2 Companies of The Court of the Dead King 205
1 Avenger Bolt Thrower 50
Faramir 90
4 Companies of Archers of Minas Tirith 120

I'm tempted to drop Faramir and the Minas Tirith archers to take Gandalf or Aragorn, I'm also thinking of finding a way to get the Banner of the King into Halbarad's hands (especially if I'm taking Aragorn!) probably by dropping the lone bolt thrower.

Any thoughts now that I'm being a bit more specific in what advice I'm looking for?

Also I love the idea of artillery in the form of trebuchets or bolt throwers but I'm not convinced of their value in game... Dwarves seem to do the bolt thrower better and the Uruk-Hai do it even better than them and the trebuchet seems too hit and miss to be worth 100 points, any thoughts?

xarius
08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
why are you playing over 1k? this will take at least 1 day ( i mean full day)

bigmackdadd
09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
I believe he is refering to War of the ring, and 1250 is the average game that takes about 2-3 hours, and with the right opponent is a good game

I play gondor and my advice would be an ent(ally him in) and a trebuchet despite it being a pain to build, and give the grey company a banner of the king, best thing ever, +1 fight...always good, and cavalry, and if you want amazing cavalry, and have alot of money, DOL AMROTH WILL ROCK YOUR SOX, they are tough and hit like a B*** and are so worth their points, but for regular cav, gondor knights with shields for 30 pts are pretty good, have them be your spear head or flank, and faramir is invaluable as a character, he will always be worth the 90 pts, he is amazing be sure to use the valour unbound(The my daddy doesnt love me rule) and to get him with the knights if you play field of swords, drop him to the grey company when the cav start taking casualties and get to 2-3 companies left I would advise 5-6 of the cav to start, and they are indomnitable and stalwart, and strike at the same time as cave, but otherwise, seems good, but you will run a horde, warmachines are what gondor has over other people, so use em

GAR
09-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I run Gondor and have had great success with a mixed force.

4 companies of Warriors
5 companies of Archers
6 companies of Knights of Minas Tirith
6 companies of Knights of Minas Tirith
6 companies of Knights ofDol Amroth
3 companis of Bolt throwers

and then a varoerty of characters
I always include Imrahil and Boromir

I have used Sauron the White as well as Faramir, Aragorn, Gandalf and a couple others.

Use the knights to engage the flanks or isolated units
Infantry moves up slowly but keeps the bolt throwers protected.

Bolt throwers deny any safe advance or deny sections of the table.

Ideally you want the cav or the artillery to dominate your game. The infantry is not really meant to get down and dirty. They can if you have to, but you have much more powerful assets to use in close combat.

bigmackdadd
12-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Remember that in War of the ring no matter how cool the heroes are, they are not the main force, the men are in particular the core troops and that bringing Boromir seems to be totally over kill because Imarhil is a skilled commander, however i play Faramir because he has Valour Unbound(his daddy doesnt love him) and he can save you when you NEED to charge and the enemy causes terror, it saves you those courage checks which always kill me, and Trebuchets are Great, they destroy any large companies, people who just ambushed, or big Monsters, but I LOVE MY GREY COMPANY!!! they strike at the same time as cavalry which is great because they are S4 and that means they can take out things before they are struck on their D5 and they can shoot really well too, but if you take a General, make sure he has Epic Sacrifice, this assures that your men can live if they need to and he robs the enemy of the 4 points in field of swords, read the print, its the best power ever...just some thoughts