PDA

View Full Version : Time for penance and flagellation?

confoo22
03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
So with BA set to arrive, I was taking a look at how to possibly make a competitive list for them with my WH army and a thought struck. The new army looks like it's going to be based around getting up in your face as quickly as possible, so can heavy multi-hitters such as penitent engines and arco's possibly see a comeback?

I know that they're really more flavor at this point and kind of not worth the cost, but I just imagine holding them in reserve and unleashing them on the BAs who have made it to my lines by the second round, which could possibly be all of them from the looks of things. With the sheer number of attacks, especially the STR 10 ones from the penitents, I can see a move like that possibly turn a rout into a win if timed right.

I'm probably just more looking for an excuse to field my dusty old models, but I truly wonder if they would be worth it or if codex creep is just too much to ever overcome in this case. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Chumbalaya
03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Eh, I'd rather have more armor, bolters and melta than unreliable units that only work against a specific army type. If you like 'em, use 'em, but in a competitive setting they collect dust like always.

confoo22
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
My bad, I didn't mean competitive as in I'd take them into tournies or anything, but more if they would be competitive against BAs in particular. A person in my group has BAs as one of his regular armies and I know for a fact he's gonna be having a lot of fun with them next month.

I plan to spoil that fun.

Melissia
03-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I doubt he'll have much of a problem destroying penitent engines and arco-flagellants given how damn expensive they are...

DarkLink
03-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I doubt he'll have much of a problem destroying penitent engines and arco-flagellants given how damn expensive they are...

I was gonna say, heavy hitters that are glass cannons don't work too well when your opponent gets to hit first.

MVBrandt
03-11-2010, 07:52 AM
The very best you accomplish is a nasty surprise via tailoring your list for an opponent, which is King Douche.

You want meltaguns, bolters, and flamers that can AP1 against the Angels. Your AP1 ability is going to come in mega handy, b/c the BA marines are themselves going to be running everywhere with Feel No Pain (unless your regular opponent is a silly face).

afeinman
03-13-2010, 08:37 PM
If you use Penitent Engines, hold them in reserve. For me, they work best when they arrive just after my Sisters have been charged--some assault squad has pushed all the way back to my board edge. Surprise! A rampaging walker runs in and snips up a bunch of high-priced Marines.

Good times.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
03-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Arco Flaggellants are a great way to spoil a BA fun.
1d6 power weapon attacks works great at this, just dont forget that cover is a best way to come to grips with them. Just because they have to assault as soon as possible doesnt mean you cant be smart how they move.

Great idea on reserving your Penitant Engines.

Gooball
03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Hmm
Right now i have an iggie list made up against BA (as one of the regulars plays them and he's.. not very nice)
I won't put it up but its basicly
Command (both reserve altering retinue-y people)
Stormtroops
Al'rahem with heavy weapons teams (Mmmm divide and conquer anyone?)
Bane wolf
Sentinels with lascannons and HKs
and of course.. my Executioner who everyone i have ever played come to dread.. over 500 kills including a dreadnought and some eldar floaty-tank

Of course for you i'd reccomend taking Litanies of Faith and if you can getting a hold of some guard.. theres nothing saying you cant put a cannoness in a unit of 50 guardsmen and call an act of faith :P couple that with straken and a preist from the guard 'dex and that is one scary *** unit
Tactics and stuff against BA.. not sure, with the old Dex and wolves/orks i always go for there transports-CC units-Shoot ones-the rest

Valkerie
03-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Of course for you i'd reccomend taking Litanies of Faith and if you can getting a hold of some guard.. theres nothing saying you cant put a cannoness in a unit of 50 guardsmen and call an act of faith

Actually, there is. In the WH codex it specifically states who can and can't use AoFs. If a Faithful character joins a non Faithful unit, (such as Guard), the character loses the ability to use AoFs. In point of fact, there's a whole other thread about this elsewhere in the forum. Sorry, nice idea but it just doesn't work.

confoo22
03-26-2010, 07:58 PM
The very best you accomplish is a nasty surprise via tailoring your list for an opponent, which is King Douche.

Nah, it's not like that, we all tailor lists against each other, that way we can make maximium use of our armies. I have a Me vs. so and so if he's playing his BA's list and he has one for when he's playing my sisters or BT's. So I know he'll be playing BA's, and he shall hurt for it.

I'm more wondering if maybe using outdated and what are commonly considered worthless units can actually turn a game in some instances. I would never put these units out to start a match, but would more hope for them to arrive on turn 3+.