PDA

View Full Version : Character Design Contest

Atrotos
03-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Rules Manufactorum Character Design Contest

Hello all,

So the site (http://rulesmanufactorum.blogspot.com) has been up for a while and doing great. There's new entries going up every few days and the feedback has been excellent all around. As a 'thank you' to those that have participated and as an invitation to those who haven't I'm hosting a character design contest. The contest is open to anyone who wishes to join.

Rules for Participation:

Send in an idea for one Warhammer 40,000 character with rules and stats written by yourself. The submission must include:

+ Name, rules and stats for your character complete with a description of any unique rules
+ One clear picture of a model that accurately represents the rules you've written against a blank background.
+ A single paragraph describing the background and history of the character you've designed.

Participants should aim to make their entries balanced but innovative with a focus on making a strong connection between their character's rules and their character's background.

Send submissions to [email protected]

The winner will be determined by an open voting poll posted on the site. Prize support will vary based on the number of votes submitted with up to 100 votes earning the winner a Rhino priced kit, 100-400, a Valkyrie priced kit and 400 or more earning the winner a Battleforce priced kit of their choice. The poll will open in 3 weeks.

Any questions?

- Atrotos

Melissia
03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Only ONE paragraph? It'd be rather difficult to represent Melissa Taylor's background in merely one paragraph... it's practically a full-on novel right now, written in my head and trying to escape.

Gotthammer
03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, he didn't say how long that one paragraph could be, just forgoe any sort of typesetting ;)

Melissia
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Hahahah... just the first chapter has around 3000 words... and that's just the prelude describing her childhood... that'd be insane without formatting lmao

Noxx
03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
This sounds great!

Question: Does the picture need to be of a mini, or can it be concept art?

gcsmith
03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Count me In

Herald of Nurgle
03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Dang. Other than the 'one paragraph' thing, that sounds like an absolutely awesome concept. I'd far rather it be a minimum of 1 paragraph tbph.

Gotthammer
03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Hahahah... just the first chapter has around 3000 words... and that's just the prelude describing her childhood... that'd be insane without formatting lmao

I see no problem, it'd just read like a standard 40k fanfic then ;)
But I sympathise, my first choice would be my RW Captain. Her backstory is at around 11,000 words - and she's only just got to the main base!

Dang. Other than the 'one paragraph' thing, that sounds like an absolutely awesome concept. I'd far rather it be a minimum of 1 paragraph tbph.

Agreed, a minimum would be better and a maximum based on word count would be better IMO.

Great idea though, just have figure out who to write up.

Aenir
03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
woot Applied with Dark Angel Jump Master Tuiro

Melissia
03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Gotthammer: Heh. Mine's intended to read like an autobiography by someone whom hates purple prose.

Akkon Sek
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Gotthammer: Heh. Mine's intended to read like an autobiography by someone whom hates purple prose.

If you are not being sarcastic and in consideration of your obvious passion for the subject (I'm assuming SoB), I would be extremely interested in this read.

Melissia
03-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Actually it's the life of a Guard conscript whom eventually becomes a Captain.

There's two versions, I'm re-working it to go more in depth and have a darker mood to the story.

First version. (http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=one&action=display&thread=7156)

Second version. (http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=one&thread=10121)

Neither are complete... the first one I just didn't complete because something came up to distract me IRL. This one is incomplete because I started reworking it last week.

Akkon Sek
03-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Actually it's the life of a Guard conscript whom eventually becomes a Captain.

There's two versions, I'm re-working it to go more in depth and have a darker mood to the story.

First version. (http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=one&action=display&thread=7156)

Second version. (http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=one&thread=10121)

Neither are complete... the first one I just didn't complete because something came up to distract me IRL. This one is incomplete because I started reworking it last week.

Checking it out. Thanks for the link-up.

Which is your personal preference? I'll start there.

Melissia
03-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I prefer the second one, which is the reason why I'm redoing it in the first place.

fuzzbuket
03-08-2010, 03:31 PM
could it be a unit (eg admech) or does it have to be a charecter??

Melissia
03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
It should be a special character related to your personal fluff for your armies. Basically, your primary HQ unit.

At least that's how I think it is? Maybe it's a special character related to the fluff?

Atrotos
03-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Re: Description length - I know one paragraph is tough but that's part of the challenge. It doesn't have to be a description in the dryest sense. It could be a memorable quote or a few lines from a longer backstory. Obviously the winner will get to feature their character in full so if you want everyone to read your masterpiece you have to win ;).

Re: Concept Art - I'll accept concept are as long as it's original. If you took the time to draw a character and provided it's a legitimate effort to create a detailed representation I'll take it. Take into account however that everything you submit will affect your chance to win. (i.e. if your drawing looks like mine stick to modelling).

Thanks for the positive response guys.

Now get to work!

Melissia
03-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I'll see about obtaining a digital camera (my scanner's flat out broke) and drawing Taylor. It's been a year or so since I've done any real detailed pencils, but I should be able to do it with some practice.

Atrotos
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
First few entries are in and looking pretty good. I want to remind everyone that is sending in pictures to please paint the model first - there's plenty of time to do this before the polls open so get to it. Don't forget there's a prize to be won.

@ Melissia: I'm really looking forward to seeing your artwork. Your written work has really set the bar high.

Atrotos
03-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Just about a week left to send in your submissions. No more submissions after Sunday the 28th.

http://rulesmanufactorum.blogspot.com/2010/03/rules-manufactorum-character-design.html