PDA

View Full Version : 25 years later, I build a set of models and paint them nicely...

Hendrik Booraem VI
06-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Greetings all! I picked up Warhammer 40k back in 1989 when I was in high school. A friend of mine at church showed me some of his models, and a White Dwarf magazine that had some stats for Space Marines (oddly enough, it was for using Tactical Marines in Space Hulk!). My first two models were, I think, Grey Knights terminators (pewter figurines) with nemesis halberd and sword. My next two models were Space Marine officers with power swords and bolt pistols (also pewter figurines).

Before long, I bought the boxed set that allowed you to make 30 tactical marines. And I did stupid, crazy stuff. Like putting a chain-bayonet on the end of a missile launcher (it looked stupid)! I was lazy and impatient and wanted to play with my models, not glue them together or paint them, so I went with a solid white chapter concept, with black bolters and a red and gold sunburst on their off shoulder. It was good. They were quick and easy to assemble, even if they were ugly.

But now that I'm back into the hobby again, I have a lot more patience and the modelling is a lot more of the fun than the dice-rolling. So I built my first EVER assault marines from bits, painted them (mostly), mostly according to the codex, and learned a LOT.

For example, I understand now why people always paint the blades of chainswords silver. It just looks better. I understand why people like to paint the models before assembling them - it's much easier to get at the sneaky bits. And once you really care what they look like, you want to do whatever you can to make it look as spiffy as possible.

I'm not there yet completely, but this is what I've gotten done on these five models: 14838

I know they aren't that impressive, but I really finally get why people spend so much time on them. It really is that much more rewarding to see them DOMINATE on the battlefield, when you put that much care into them. These guys paid off big in a battle today vs. my 3rd sons Tau. They made at least 4 Feel No Pain saves (my Space Marines are Iron Hands successors called "Hands of the Emperor"), and working with a librarian, they beat a Broadside battlesuit and were about to make serious mincemeat of a Stealth team.

Best of all, I've magnetized their packs, so I can swap jump packs for regular backpacks, depending on if I want to give them dedicated tranport or not!

Kirsten
06-29-2015, 06:18 AM
Great job, you definitely have the understanding and the desire. All you need now is practice. You are well on the way :)