PDA

View Full Version : with all these "concalaves" would culexus assassins be a decent pick?

eosgreen
06-25-2015, 07:02 AM
I'm just wondering with the popularity warrants the use of one if possible. I personally don't like massive psychic formations so i'm trying to find a workaround

why wont the title edit lol

Sonikgav
06-25-2015, 07:10 AM
With Eldar, Marines and now Dark Angels having a conclave/council kind of thing going on, and with Chaos rumoured next, the Culexus could be a hell of good call going forward. Tyranids too always have a Psyker or 2, infact theres only Necron and Tau that would make one a little pointless (though its still a decent threat on its own)

Ive been looking at the Vindicare but yea, that Culexus is REALLY good if you know you're up against Psykers, especially if you dont run them yourself. Gonna be hard to squeeze one into any of my 1850 lists if im honest but whenever i jump up to 2k its an easy choice to fill those points i think.

eosgreen
06-25-2015, 09:16 AM
With Eldar, Marines and now Dark Angels having a conclave/council kind of thing going on, and with Chaos rumoured next, the Culexus could be a hell of good call going forward. Tyranids too always have a Psyker or 2, infact theres only Necron and Tau that would make one a little pointless (though its still a decent threat on its own)

Ive been looking at the Vindicare but yea, that Culexus is REALLY good if you know you're up against Psykers, especially if you dont run them yourself. Gonna be hard to squeeze one into any of my 1850 lists if im honest but whenever i jump up to 2k its an easy choice to fill those points i think.

yeh i was thinking nids have them and space marines/eldar are pretty common. it has a great ability to "avoid being shot" which is nice and didn't i read about how the etherals of tau are "mind controlling" the other casts? wonder if they will get some powers soon too.

Haighus
06-25-2015, 12:26 PM
yeh i was thinking nids have them and space marines/eldar are pretty common. it has a great ability to "avoid being shot" which is nice and didn't i read about how the etherals of tau are "mind controlling" the other casts? wonder if they will get some powers soon too.
Established fluff has Ethereals doing it through pheromones unfortunately for the Culexus, doubt they will use the Pysker rules.

Sonikgav
06-25-2015, 12:34 PM
One of the foundations of the Tau was that they're actually Psychic Blanks. Not to the level of Pariahs but they don't project enough Warp presence to even be aware of the Warp never mind harnessing it. That's why they also don't use any form of Warp Travel. They invented Sub-light engines to get around that but their territory is relatively small.

At worst the Ethereals are just really inspiring on a spiritual level, but as suggested i believe they do use the Pheremone idea.

Lets be fair though, just because they dont have Psykers, i have no problem charging a Culexus at a unit of Fire Warriors, or firing the Animus at Battlesuits.

Haighus
06-25-2015, 12:51 PM
At worst the Ethereals are just really inspiring on a spiritual level, but as suggested i believe they do use the Pheremone idea.
Xenology (a fluff book released by BL a few years back) basically all but states that Ethereals were engineered by the Eldar by combining pheromone glands from a xenos species that is basically an interplanetary swarm of ants, and the primitive Tau, and that kickstarted their rapid development. No idea why the Eldar did it other than apparently they wanted to create a "Chaos-proof" race. With Tau being psychically inert that is fairly accurate.

eosgreen
06-25-2015, 06:10 PM
now all i gota know is if DA can take assassins....

Houghten
06-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Yes. Yes, they can.

Any army can take an Officio Assassinorum Detachment, and any Army of the Imperium is Battle-Brothers with it.

Sonikgav
06-26-2015, 05:32 AM
Better yet, the Officio Assassinorum detachment requirements dont involve Troops, HQ Inquisitors or anything it is literally 'Mandatory = 1 Elite'

Im taking mine with a drop pod borrowed from my CAD for a first turn drop alongside my Skyhammer :D. I feel mean!

eosgreen
06-26-2015, 06:08 AM
Better yet, the Officio Assassinorum detachment requirements dont involve Troops, HQ Inquisitors or anything it is literally 'Mandatory = 1 Elite'

Im taking mine with a drop pod borrowed from my CAD for a first turn drop alongside my Skyhammer :D. I feel mean!

interesting... could i then take one and then deathwing termies like you're doing?

Sonikgav
06-26-2015, 06:41 AM
The only reason i can take a Drop Pod is because im running a CAD. Its the only Drop Pod in my list outside of the the Skyhammer Formation so as-per Drop Pod Assault rule it will come in Turn 1, along with the Skyhammer.

If the Deathwing have something similar then sure, run what you like, the only important part to doing it is needing some way of getting a lone, empty Drop Pod from the Fast Attack slot into your list, which in most cases is with a CAD.

Houghten
06-26-2015, 06:46 AM
Pure Deathwing don't have a way of taking an empty Drop Pod; only the Venerable Dreadnoughts can take them, and they have to start inside so they can be in Deep Strike Reserve.

Lord Krungharr
06-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Culexus is awesome at not only killing psykers, but scaring them away from where you want them to not be. They also provide defensive ability if the enemy tries to maledict you; just move the Culexus within 12" of the cursed unit and it goes away!

Yesterday I played a 2K 3 game tournie with the Execution Force. The Vindicare failed to do much of anything the whole day, his best use is really just to cause a wound with Hellfire (because sniper on a 4+ to wound SUCKS) or to pop light vehicles with the Turbo Pen Str 10 round.

So if I had to pick I'd go Culexus every time, as he's really good in most combats even if there are no psykers around (semi-invisible, and ignoring armor saves, instant death attacks on 6's).

But I do like the Formation...but if used, the 3 non-Vindicare ones need to be used together, almost like a squad. They don't cause enough mayhem on their own, and they die easily enough. But the Eversor and Callidus killed a 30K Arch-Magos and 3 Castellax Automata in I think 3 or 4 rounds of combat and the Eversor continued on to kill a couple Voraxes too.

Oh, and while the drop pod can be handy for the Culexus' placement, on occasion just Infiltrating might be better. Kinda depends on the mission, and where you think your enemy will need to go. Having a transport of some sort to reposition him is pretty handy, as he's slow almost as slow as a guardsmen once the game starts.