PDA

View Full Version : Today I saw the ridiculous up close.

Bedroom General
06-25-2015, 04:33 AM
Today I saw the ridiculous up close.
I went into my local GW store today.
Saw a single figure, the HQ priest guy for Cult Mechanicus.
The price was $62 Australian.
I don't play that army, but that seems a ridiculously priced model.
Is GW trying to put itself out of business?
I saw the model, nicely detailed but mono pose and not much more plastic than Gutrot.
...?

Mr Mystery
06-25-2015, 04:44 AM
Not exactly news nor rumour.

He's £22 in the UK, and I've got one because I play the army, and I can't say I'm aware of any suitable alternatives beyond kitbashing.

Really nice model though.

Erik Setzer
06-25-2015, 05:05 AM
and I can't say I'm aware of any suitable alternatives beyond kitbashing.

Not just sticking with GW models, but the Toughest Girls in the Galaxy line has a model that, depending on cost, would be absolutely awesome (especially as no one would expect a female Magos).

Haighus
06-25-2015, 05:18 AM
I can't say I'm aware of any suitable alternatives beyond kitbashing.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Mechanicum/Mechanicum_HQ/MAGOS_DOMINUS_WITH_RAD-CLEANSER.html
Well, take off the Irad cleanser and this guy has very similar equipment, for a similar size. Also same price range though...

Mr Mystery
06-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Not just sticking with GW models, but the Toughest Girls in the Galaxy line has a model that, depending on cost, would be absolutely awesome (especially as no one would expect a female Magos).

There's plenty in the novellas BL released.

They're a bit on the short side, but still worth a read.

Kirsten
06-25-2015, 05:28 AM
is it the companies, or is it tax? Aren't video games much more expensive in Australia too? Yahtzee in Zero Punctuation refers to it as the 'having nicer beaches tax' but I don't know if it is actual import taxes or if prices are just higher.

Mr Mystery
06-25-2015, 05:29 AM
Prices are higher, as average wages are higher.

At least that's what the Teevee tells me.

Cutter
06-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Geo-blocking I guess.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2014/03/05/everything-australia-expensive/

Erik Setzer
06-25-2015, 07:47 AM
There's plenty in the novellas BL released.

They're a bit on the short side, but still worth a read.

Yeah, I meant other gamers, generally. Especially as it sometimes feels like in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only testosterone.

Lord Manton
06-25-2015, 08:35 AM
But then the new interrigator chaplain is only AU$30. I think he's only slightly cheaper in US$? None of it makes any sense. The pricing differences are too inconsistent to put down to any one factor.

Kaptain Badrukk
06-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Prices are what they are. That said he's a 50mm base model who really does fill the base, he ain't tiny.
Still the Wraith or Banshee plus some extra bits make a great kitbash alternative starting point.

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-25-2015, 05:15 PM
It is ridiculously expensive, but I did buy it and it's the first model i've bought from GW in quite a long time - I just really love the model.

50mm base though? Mine came with a 40mm? Did they supply the wrong one then?

Houghten
06-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Yes, a batch of them were supplied with the wrong bases. Your manager should have given you a free 50mm base to go with it...

Oh well, it sits on the 40mm base with only a little overlap, not like trying to put Sicarians on a <40mm and not being able to get both feet on, and it is the base you were supplied in the blister...

Erik Setzer
06-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes, a batch of them were supplied with the wrong bases. Your manager should have given you a free 50mm base to go with it...

At our local store, the problem was found after they'd shipped, and the replacement bases wouldn't be until the next order, so the only way to get new bases to people was for the manager to pull bases out of his private stash, hand those out to people, and replace them when the replacement bases came in. I'm not sure every manager could/would do that. Though if he couldn't, he should have at least mentioned the base issue.