PDA

View Full Version : Battle Missions

Aldramelech
03-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Goodbye

ggg
03-06-2010, 06:25 AM
They have been a big hit at my local store and I have already played 2 pick up and play games against new opponents. Where Planet Strike (which I love) does not work without planning and prior arrangement etc, the battle missions will be a very welcome diversification.

I played my first game against tyranids with my Scythes of the Emperor using the battle missions and randomly generated the Tyranid 'first contact mission.' So cool - perfect theming- and a great game. BM all the way for me.

Morgrim
03-06-2010, 07:04 AM
It was interesting comparing the DE slave raid mission with the 'updated for 5th Ed' one my friends and I designed.

And I love ambush. Sure, haven't pulled it off, but stylistically it is very fitting.

Noxx
03-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Haven't picked up my copy yet, hoping to get it soon. Hope it gets adopted a little better than planetstrike did, I'm entirely sick of the three basic missions and deployments!

Aldramelech
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Goodbye

entendre_entendre
03-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Well after today's BM tournie, I'll see what I think of it. I've already played the CSM pillage (is that it's name? If not, it's the first one with the loot) mission. The mission is quite fun even if my dice decide to hate me with a passion. >.<

Gotthammer
03-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Got the book today and noticed a couple of things:

Copyright GW 2008 - so they've been sitting on this for a while.
Most of the photos seem to be pre-IG release (metal officers, old tanks etc)
In the IG intro there's a reference to the "Vrax siege army" - my guess is a hang over from early IA: Vraks planning that hung around.

Overall I really like the book and the missions, and it makes a great addition to the game.

david5th
03-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Hopefully my copy will eventually turn up tomorrow 2 days after release ( Curse advance order ).

Aldramelech
03-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Goodbye

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
03-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Read it, looked at it..nice book i guess but i was very dissappointed that no Inquisition or Witch Hunters missions. What just because we dont have a shiny new Codex or shiny continuel releases like SM or IG we dont get anything.
GW how many times are you going to dissappoint your fans who dont play SM's? One of these days there corporate suits on the board are going to realise they have lost a great market in forgotten armies.
Guess one day there will be just 5 armies left, instead.

Sad to see such a great hobby and fantastic miniatures and armies being left out.

Master Bryss
03-07-2010, 09:26 AM
So far I've played All-Round Defence, Clash of Heroes and Mobile Defence, and I've had a great time with the book. The missions only really work from 1000 points up though, as playing a 500 point (it was an escalation campaign) Mobile Defence basically resulted in a standard objectives game.

BuFFo
03-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Finally, besides Apocalypse, GW has released a supplement that isn't a waste of paper!

I can't wait to try it out!

I love reading it on the toilet. Makes for a great poopin' experience!

Marshal2Crusaders
03-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Some of those missions beg for thematic objective markers. Off to the drawing boards...

Aldramelech
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Goodbye

Aldramelech
03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Goodbye

Duke
03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
It adds a great flair to pick up games for sure... And even local tournies.

Duke

MarshalAdamar
03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I've not gotten to my local game store to pick up my new Dread and Orky bits and my missions book but with all the talk here today I may have to make a special trip tonight and snag before I head to work!

entendre_entendre
03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
The missions inside can be quite entertaining, although Vanguard can be very difficult to win if you're attacking without a thunderhawk. Prepared Assault can just be crazy fun throwing scraps of paper everywhere. :)

Lord Azaghul
03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
I do like that missions seem nice and easy to pick up and play. But overall I wasn't impressed with the book it self. I like lots of nice pictures. I felt this whole thing could have been condensed into a nice WD or a 5 page pdf. Probably worth playing, but not worth buying, jmho.

Hellsteath
03-09-2010, 08:08 AM
I've not had a chance to play any of the missions, after looking through it I was pretty chuffed, some of the missions are really nicely put together, The kill team mission looks like a good laugh.

My only grumble Is the lack of Inquisitorial mission's, you cant have it all eh?