PDA

View Full Version : Iceland and The Economic Recovery

YorkNecromancer
06-10-2015, 04:26 PM
So yeah, I basically want to live in Iceland now. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/three-charts-that-show-icelands-economy-recovered-after-it-imprisoned-bankers-and-let-banks-go-bust--instead-of-bailing-them-out-10309503.html)

My GF went over for break with some lady friends, and fell in love with the place. but what stuck out to her was that Iceland's prison population (85 people) was one third banking executives. When the 2008 crash happened, the government tracked down everyone responsible, threw them in jail, then let their banks fail.

Now, their economy is recovering perfectly.

I am so sick of the media telling me that free markets are the only way to keep debts down, fight inflation and prevent unemployment, when there are real alternatives that demonstrably work. It's like, if you hear 'free markets!' long enough, you start to think it's true, to wonder if you're wrong - even though it sounds like insanity. Then Iceland kicks the backside of every corrupt motherf**ker in sight, throws their 1%er a**es in jail, and walks a different road that works. And you see, no, you're not wrong; that free market bullsh** was exactly what you thought it was.

More and more, I think I need to live there.

Geothermal energy. No pollution. A prison population in two figures. Plentiful yoghurt.

It's not a utopia, but compared to the UK at the moment, frankly it sounds a lot like one.

40kGamer
06-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Wow... Iceland sounds boss. I'm with you. The wealthy control the US government so there's no way they would ever be mass prosecuted. Every once in a while the government does a token prosecution to entertain the populace but it's really a side show. The government pumped enough $ into the banks during the "crash" to make every person living in the states a multimillionaire. Funny how none of it ever trickles down.

Kirsten
06-10-2015, 04:37 PM
yeah it is utterly obscene that the bankers get away with whatever they want. If an individual committed fraud they would be jailed, but the big banks do it over and over again, and all they get are fines that clearly do nothing to deter them. A friend of mine insisted you couldn't possibly have a bonus tax because all the talented bankers would leave. would these be the same talented individuals that screwed us all over in the first place? they fail monumentally in their jobs, then get six or seven figure bonuses. jail the lot of them.

DarkLink
06-10-2015, 08:53 PM
What a lot of people don't get about capitalism, I think, is that it's kind of reliant on not just free markets, but fair trade as well. If you have a free market but no rules preventing people from ripping each other off, that's not so much capitalism as it is legalized theft.

daboarder
06-10-2015, 09:17 PM
What a lot of people don't get about capitalism, I think, is that it's kind of reliant on not just free markets, but fair trade as well. If you have a free market but no rules preventing people from ripping each other off, that's not so much capitalism as it is legalized theft.

Which is why de-regulation is a **** idea.
It allows the amassing of power, creating vested interests which then seek to control the market in order to prevent their own demise when demand inevitably desires change. And therefore the market inevitably becomes anything but "free"

Mr Mystery
06-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of England has called for more banker imprisonment.

George Osborne has figured selling the national stake in RBS at a loss is somehow best for everyone....

Kirsten
06-11-2015, 02:19 AM
no doubt it is his mates lined up to buy

- - - Updated - - -

Former RBS boss Fred Goodwin having another lovely day while you pay off his debts.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/fred-goodwin-having-another-lovely-day-2015061199131

from the daily mash, yet entirely true.