PDA

View Full Version : Favorite named character, fluff-wise?

Commissar Lewis
03-04-2010, 12:42 AM
As said in the title, what's your favorite named character based on their fluff? (not rules)

For me, Colonel "Iron Hand" Straken. He's been a favorite of mine since I printed out and read the Codex Catachan from the GW site a while back. His whole tirade at the battle of Moden's Ridge always makes me laugh, favorite line being "Medic! Stop your whining Brook you've still got another damned leg!"

It's just his bombastic, balls-out attitude and gung-ho nature that makes him my favorite. He's like a bunch of action-movie heroes rolled into one, plus he's a tough ol' *******. That's why he leads my army.

That all said I wish the new model had been like his picture in the new codex, where he's holding his shotgun with both hands and stepping forward. Hard to describe but it's a cool picture.

Madness
03-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Yarrick, it's so over the top that I can't resist saying "hell yeah", it's one of those characters that you would like to see in a movie, interpreted by Samuel L. Jackson, even if Yarrick is white.

I have a soft spot for Dark Angels and Ork characters, but with most recent codices they lost most of their appeal, I specially miss Makari.

Commissar Lewis
03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Madness, you seem to show up in all my topics, friend! Haha, just kidding, glad someone's reading it.

Yeah, Yarrick is totally badass. Only Samuel L Jackson could play him. Or Liam Neeson.

Melissia
03-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Yarrick is definitely awesome, as is 'ol Ghazzy.

Praxedes tends to be my favorite though... what she manages to do is just as over the top as what yarrick managed IMO, it's just that she gets much less press since she barely got mention after second edition except in a white dwarf article...

papa smurf
03-04-2010, 02:27 AM
i'd have to say Mr. Gaunt of the Tanith First & Only! i'm a little biased i guess after reading the first two Gaunt's Ghost omnibus books, but he's definitely pretty cool.
Ciaphas Cain is hilarious, but they've never actually made a model for him so does that actually count? i think I would start an IG army just for him...

also, i like Shadow Captain Shrike, and he is a character i actually use regularly in my army. now i know a lot of space marine characters are supposed to uber-pwn, but he and his squad were stuck behind enemy lines for A whole year. now i'm not sure if that's the actual length (haven't looked at his codex entry in a while), but that means they probably ended up having to do pretty bad things to survive in the shadows, ****ing up the orks whenever they could. i just like the idea of sneaky marines so much! so i take a "counts as" shrike in my army every once in a while, since i don't normally like to take special characters and my personal captain likes to get some love too. Shrike will always be my favorite though, and because of that i actually use a special character!

Fellend
03-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Shrike must be my favorite. Same reason as above really.

rbryce
03-04-2010, 04:56 AM
for me it would probably be the inquisitor from the nightbringer book, purely because he seemed so congenial. if he came up to me in real life, i could imagine what hed say: "so, weve got this ancient being who is solely responsible for leaving a racial memory of death in just about every race in the galaxy, we need to take him down, preferably with cyclonic torpedo's, after which we can go to this nice cafe i know. its just on the corner of bond street and avonvale road, they do REALLY good cream tea. then in the evening, i know this good bar, lets get wasted!"

sebi81
03-04-2010, 06:07 AM
as i´m more with the bad guys, my favorite character is cypher... he is hunted by the whole dark angels chapter and their followers for about 10000 years now, fought against the deceiver, caused terror and chaos in uncountable systems and i totally like the pistoliero-theme. and he has the lion sword and will bring redemption to the dark angels and the whole imperium with it...

Kahoolin
03-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Yeah, have to be Yarrick for me too. It's cool to see an old codger kick arse and take names. The model is nice too IMO.

Lord Azaghul
03-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Having become a huge Abnett fan over the past year or so, and an IG player - Gaunt!

I may have to direct order that blister someday, just to have it.

david5th
03-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Honsou.

Commissar Lewis
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah, Gaunt's pretty hardcore. But I like other Ghosts a bit more, like Oan Mkoll and Colm Corbec.

person person
03-04-2010, 07:53 PM
That's a hard one, maybe Kharn, for badassery, or Creed because he's saved terra from the incompetent Abaddon 13 times!

DarkLink
03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Kharn. Cause, really, he's a pretty cool guy (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kharn).

Papa Nurgle
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I like Aretkus Bardane, Chapter Master of the Relictors, and Inquisitor Kryptman...in the Tyranid codex.

Hellsteath
03-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Gotta be Chaplain Grimauldus, the bloke just dosent know when he's beaten.

Faultie
03-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Marshal Primus Jamahl Byzantane is probably my #1, followed by Brother-Sergeant Priad and Inquisitor Kryptman.

Lord Azaghul
03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah, Gaunt's pretty hardcore. But I like other Ghosts a bit more, like Oan Mkoll and Colm Corbec.

Mkoll or Corbec would have been nice editions to the current dex. I do have one sargent in my army that I call Corbec. He's basiclly a catachin with a knight of the white wolf head! I usally use the squad as vets, so it kinda works for me.

Commissar Lewis
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
That's awesome.
Maybe I should make Mkoll as a Marbo counts-as, for Mkoll is way more badass than Marbo.

Renegade
03-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I would liked to have said Commissar Cain, just because I could imagine the cool rules he would have.

I will say Sigismund, just because he is so OTT and would probably give ol' Abbadon a run for his money had they ever gone toe to toe, and what happened to him is a complete mystery.

Lord Azaghul
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
That's awesome.
Maybe I should make Mkoll as a Marbo counts-as, for Mkoll is way more badass than Marbo.

I approve of this message.

That and Mkoll isn't Rambo in a jumble!

ragnarcissist
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
none of yu have read the space wolves novels apparently. the clear choice is ragnar.

Commissar Lewis
03-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Blackmane's pretty awesome. I have the first SW omnibus.

I prefer Arjac myself. Who else throws a ****ing THUNDERHAMMER?

Just_Me
03-11-2010, 01:15 AM
I will say Sigismund, just because he is so OTT and would probably give ol' Abbadon a run for his money had they ever gone toe to toe, and what happened to him is a complete mystery.

You mean, after Dorn made him High Marshal of the newly formed Black Templars and he became the first Emperor's Champion?

It's tough for someone who loves the fluff as much as it do to limit myself. Restricting myself to characters with current tabletop rules and models (otherwise it would include, among others, just about everyone Abnett has ever written) I would back up Yarrick, and add Mephiston (gotta love the two heroes of Hades Hive). Also, both Lysander, and Farsight (I did just start Tau...).

Not to mention CREEEEEED! He has sent Abbadon (no slouch himself, and one step below eldritch abomination (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EldritchAbomination), maybe humanoid abomination (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumanoidAbomination)) packing several times.

For me though, the crowning glory is shared between Solomon Lok (he killed a Heirophant by himself) and Hector Rex (he sent An'ggrath, Khorne's right hand abomination, back to the warp with his tail between his legs, in single combat). That and they both have some of the coolest models ever produced...

Kahoolin
03-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Not to mention CREEEEEED! He has sent Abbadon (no slouch himself, and one step below eldritch abomination (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EldritchAbomination), maybe humanoid abomination (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumanoidAbomination)) packing several times.Damn you, I just lost about an hour trawling that wiki when I should have been getting ready for work :)

Renegade
03-11-2010, 06:16 AM
You mean, after Dorn made him High Marshal of the newly formed Black Templars and he became the first Emperor's Champion? I will have to double check that, but I think it was the Emperor that made him his Champion. Then he is left alone to defend the Palace. As a back gound to the Emperors Champion, I don't think any come that close to this, and that is why Sigismund gets my vote.

Just_Me
03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Damn you, I just lost about an hour trawling that wiki when I should have been getting ready for work :)

Oh wow, you only lost an hour? I lost 3 after digging out those references for you guys :D.

Commissar Lewis
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
TVtropes is itself an entrance to the Warp - you go in, and next thing you know a ton of time has passed. Personally I believe it's sentient.

But yeah, any character that's your favorite is good for this topic, not just the ones with TT rules.

Akkon Sek
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
As it appears an actual existing model is not a prerequisite, I have a three-way:

Priad

Harlon Nayl

Patience Kys

Of the three, Patience is by far the most intriguing. The males score high in my book due to raw cool factor.

EDIT: Wow. I don't know where my brain was when I typed the above, but obviously I wasn't paying attention. "Named Character". Like, from a codex. Must have forgotten to take my meds.

Ignore the idiot.

Fellend
03-12-2010, 04:44 AM
I've just read the new nid codex and I'm kind of fond of the Death leaper. Such a nice way to say "screw you all, I'm going home"

RocketRollRebel
03-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Kaptain Badrukk!

RogueGarou
03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
That's awesome.

Either Mkoll or Mkvenner. His CCW would be a staff and you might be able to get some really cool poses with a camo cloak and staff whipping around the model.

My favorite Chaos Marine character would be Cypher. Unabashedly modeled after Clint Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character and not truly a Chaos Marine, he is very cool. I would like to see more of Cypher. I have not read the second Dark Angels Horus Heresy novel yet so the last thing I have read of Cypher was tied into the Eye of Terror campaign.

From the Gaunt series, there are a lot of cool characters. I really like a lot of them but Mkvenner, Mkoll, Larkin and Brostin are my favorites. Two of them are utter professionals and two of them are totally crazed madmen.

But my favorite non-Tanith character was Colonel Schaeffer. I am not a fan of Gav Thorpe's writing but there were elements of the Last Chancers books that were cool. The older Codex fluff on Schaeffer was good even though it was straight out of The Dirty Dozen.

The Mystic
03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Has to be Cypher for me.

Don't ask me why, he just is for me. :D

RocketRollRebel
03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm gonna go with Tycho. I found this epic story of him on Armageddon falling to the black rage and such. I think its from an old WD but yeah enjoy!

The beat of powerful wings, a sense of depthless sadness. That it should come to this... comrades in arms locked in a battle to the death. Then he saw him, his brother once, his enemy now. Flashing blades and an explosion of blood, screaming pain flaring round his body like an electric charge and he...

...opened his eyes, sweat coating his skin with an oily sheen, his mouth filled with blood. He swallowed and ran his tongue over his teeth, fighting down the visions. But no matter how hard he pushed them away, they were always there, lurking at the back of his skull. Brother Captain Erasmus Tycho stood and turned to leave the chapel, stopping as he saw Chaplain Lemartes standing in the archway, his face shrouded in the dancing shadows cast by the electro-flambeaux.
"Were you seeing them again?" asked Lemartes.
Tycho nodded slowly. "Yes..." he whispered, "I see them even now. I can feel his pain, it burns me."
Lemartes approached Tycho and placed his hands on his friend's shoulders. He had always known it would come to this, but still he felt sorrow. Fitting that it should come on Armageddon. He could see Tycho's glassy eyed stare and knew that part of his mind was no longer here in the now, but had been wrenched back to the time of the Great Betrayal. To the last battle of their Primarch Sanguinius. To his death.

"Have they considered my... request?" asked Tycho.
"They have, my friend," replied Lemartes sadly.
"And?"
"You shall have your wish, Erasmus. The honour of leading the forlorn hope into the Tempestora breach on the morrow is yours. Come, I shall perform the moripatris."

Arrayed in his newly painted black armour, Tycho stared fixedly towards the besieged Hive Tempestora as the Chaplains moved amongst the men of the forlorn hope, the first men into the breach. The first men to die. He felt his pulse race and his breathing quicken... The Imperial palace was in ruins, thousands were dead... He blinked and watched as vast bellied Gargants.... Daemon visaged Titans stalked through the rubble of Terra like predatory gods, killing and destroying all in their path... lurched into firing positions before the hive. Somewhere in the cratered hell before him was the enemy who had horribly disfigured him all those years ago... One man's betrayal had brought them to this, one man's vanity and pride. But they had a chance to end it here. His Emperor had made the decision to take the fight to Horus and Sanguinius of the Blood Angels would not fail him... Chaplain Lemartes stopped before Tycho and dipped his finger into a blood filled chalice. He anointed Tycho's helmet with blood in the form of a jagged saltire and said, "With my blood I commend your soul to the Emperor. May he watch over you this day."
"And you also Dorn," said Tycho, taking Lemartes' hand in the warriors grip, wrist to wrist. "One last time brother."
"Yes," agreed Lemartes, knowing that Tycho was finally lost to him. "One last time."

Tycho smashed another Greenskin from the rubble with a backhanded sweep of his fist. Bones cracked and blood sprayed. The top of the breach was less than ten metres away. Gunfire stitched a path towards him, spurts of dust and stone exploding around him. He felt the powerful impacts, but ignored them, charging up the debris strewn slope. Choking dust and smoke filled the air. All he could see were shadowy forms before him... brother Space Marines, their oaths of loyalty ashes in the dust. He hated them like nothing he had ever hated before. A blade swung at his head, striking his shoulder guard and tearing upwards... Tycho's golden mask tore from his rictus face in a wash of blood and skin. He screamed in fury, standing at the top of the breach, surrounded by his foes. The Orks swarmed around the Blood Angels, dying by the dozen as fifty years of hatred and vengeance poured through Tycho's veins. Behind him, the last Space Marine of the forlorn hope fell beneath the blades of the Orks... the others were gone, separated in the teleportation. He was aloneÉ Tycho fought with the strength of legend, fighting and killing all who came near him. He swept up a fallen sword and continued the slaughter, the blade rising and falling, Ork blood sheathing its edge. No blade could pierce his armour, no bullet could lay him low. Ork corpses, scores deep, surrounded him, his altar of death. The smoke parted and a massively powerful Ork, clad in wheezing mechanical armour, crunched across the rubble towards him. Black exhaust fumes belched from rusted pipes and enormous claws snapped from each arm. Tycho snarled as the unquenchable fury of the Black Rage finally consumed him utterly...

Horus, greatest and most beloved of the Primarchs. Why? When we could have achieved anything we dreamed of, why? Horus said nothing, swinging with his bladed fist. He sprang away from the powerful claw, spinning behind the Traitor. Sanguinius leapt feet first at Horus, feeling fangs break under his boot heels. He landed lightly, rolling swiftly to his feet as Horus attacked again. His back was to the wall, nowhere to go but forwards. The two brothers met blade to blade and Sanguinius knew he could not defeat Horus. The sword snapped and Horus smashed the claw through his armour and deep into his belly. Excruciating agony ripped upwards into his ribcage as Horus tore his heart out. Sanguinius spat blood into his brother's face and hissed, "I die, but you will die with me, traitor!" as he lashed out with his fist and ripped out his foe's throat in a welter of blood. He felt Horus' grip slacken and slumped to the ground, his lifeblood pumping from his broken body. He could vaguely hear his companions calling his name, but with each second their voices grew dimmer. He had not failed his Emperor. He smiled and closed his eyes as life slipped away.

Lemartes watched the small group of Space Marines as they bore their Captain on their shoulders towards the Imperial lines. The breach had fallen and the outer ring of fortifications and bunkers were now in Imperial hands. Tycho had held the breach long enough for the rest of the army to reach the walls and carry the day. With a tenderness that belied the gore-streaked appearance of the Blood Angels, they laid Brother Captain Erasmus Tycho at the feet of Chaplain Lemartes. He knelt by the bloody corpse, laying a hand on his brow and staring at his friend's face. Perhaps it was just the relaxation of muscle that followed death, but he believed he could see a softening in Tycho's features, as though the terrible disfigurement done to him had retreated within his flesh. He hoped so.
"Farewell brother," he whispered. "You will not be forgotten."

AirHorse
03-15-2010, 06:46 PM
eldrad is one of my favorites, cant wait for a new eldar codex with some chunky new fluff like the other current dexes :D

I like Chapter Master Tu'shan as well in the brief mentions he gets :)

Absolute favorite character though has to be Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn. Loved him in the books, and even more after his little cameo in the ravenor books :)

ragnarcissist
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
RAGNAR! hands down the baddest of space marine badasses, hes killed the sorcerer madox a bunch of times, killed countless heretics, orks and cultists. wounded a demon prince primarch, killed a hive tyrant, stopped a great unclean one, an is undefeated in the annual duels at the top of the fang against the galaxies top chapter masters.... he is an absolute beast, just read the novels

eldargal
03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Lelith Hesperax, one of my role models growing up. Might explain why I own (and am adept with) over one hundred various weapons and inspire terror in menfolk.

Cypher, the rebel-in-the-leather-jacket-who-plays-by-his-own-rules of the 41st milennium.

Commissar Lewis
03-15-2010, 11:49 PM
^ See, now why can't there be awesome chicks like you in Michigan? Hahah!

I still stick my Straken as my favorite. There's something about his gung-ho bravado that is what I aspire to be. Fearless and not giving a damn about stuff like getting shot.

Commissar Lewis
03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Ah sorry that was uncalled for.

Jager, man, Jager...

Also, forgot an awesome character - General Grizmund from Necropolis. He was hardcore, man.

RocketRollRebel
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Lelith Hesperax, one of my role models growing up. Might explain why I own (and am adept with) over one hundred various weapons and inspire terror in menfolk.

Cypher, the rebel-in-the-leather-jacket-who-plays-by-his-own-rules of the 41st milennium.

brawesome

Ah sorry that was uncalled for.

Jager, man, Jager...

Also, forgot an awesome character - General Grizmund from Necropolis. He was hardcore, man.

it happens to all of us. You also get a brawesome. Jose and PBR ;)

Commissar Lewis
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
PBR is awesome, man. I'd had good times with a cold PBR.

Subject Keyword
03-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Yarrick for me too.
I love him...

Allandaros
03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Major Rawne from the Gaunt's Ghosts series - I swear I saw some extra GW rules for him and some of the other Ghosts at one point, a few editions ago.

I'm also a fan of Cypher and Gunnery Sergeant Harker.

pgarfunkle
03-28-2010, 06:14 AM
I like the fluff for Straken and the fact that he's is constantly being rebuilt, slowly becoming more and more machine (Necron lol).

I also like some of the fluff which was added to Dante's entry in the new codex. Saying that he is long lived even for a Blood Angel and that he is tired but holds one because of a vision showing a golden warrior defending the Emperor in his hour of need, which he believes could be him and so holds onto life to fulfil this final duty.

Colonel Pryde
03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
After reading the Grey Knight Series, Especially "Hammer of Daemons", Justicar Alaric all the way.

Maugatar
03-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Cyphas Cain, for his utterly hilarious attitude

The_Ancient
03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Cain is awesome if not a little too brave for a coward ha ha ha

orfeo culzean from ravenor is cool

czevak is cool and mysterious

ragnar blackmane is also le daddy

The farseer
04-03-2010, 08:38 AM
i would have to say Eldrad but yriels prety cool alsoe

fade_74
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Ahriman. I always liked the tragic figure whose life goes out of control due to no fault of his own.

Francorum
04-10-2010, 12:52 PM
It's gonna be Pedro Kantor for me. But, you know, I'm just a Crimson Fists player. :D
I enjoy the way he is described in Rynn's World.

askariraven
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Two words "The SwarmLord"

Personally I like how in the new codex they had the stand off against the ultramarines, able to best them at each turn. An Eternal General that has defeated many foes before consuming entire galaxies in his quest. and our galaxy is just one more stepping stone to Justify his Prowess and skill.

FOR THE HIVEMIND!

mcmuffin
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Kharn the Betrayer becausehe simply owns everything, running around swinging a big axe at everyone who gets in his way. Logan Grimnar is a beast as well and i love his cuddlyness and his big badass axe morkai

sicarius2424
05-02-2010, 11:29 AM
mine have to be sicarius and sgt. bastonne they both have awsome fluff. i mean what is cooler then a man who can look at a battle on a map for about 10 seconds and then jump into a drop pod and come out on top. and a sgt. that care so much for the men under his comand that he went back through a chaos filled city to find a lost trooper and tattos all the men's names he has lost under his command onto his body.plus he could have been a great officer as well.

hellbringer
05-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Abaddon definetly. I love the idea that the most powerful Chaos warrior still belongs to the mortal realm. There was a patch of text in a book (I can't remember if it was the Chaos Space Marine Codex or Eye of Terror Codex, or posisble even a Battlefleet Gothic book) where an Inquisitor is quoted as saying Abaddon is by far the most dangerous because he is driven by a percieved wrong and how he could have easily risen to Demon Prince already, but hasn't. This is because Abaddon percieves the Imperium as the enemy and Chaos as a tool. I love that about him.

murrburger
05-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Lysander.

His ridiculous, over-the-top fluff and titan-hammering are just awesome.

Vindur
05-02-2010, 05:35 PM
From the Gaunt series, there are a lot of cool characters. I really like a lot of them but Mkvenner, Mkoll, Larkin and Brostin are my favorites. Two of them are utter professionals and two of them are totally crazed madmen.

Dammit man, you told someone who your favourite ghosts are, now Dan is going to kill them off.

My favourite character despite his tiny fluff section is Drahzar master of blades. A body guard so good that even in the back stabbing DE society he is still trusted,well as trusted as another DE can be.

Extinction Angel
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I can't believe no one has said Doomrider!

I know, not funny, sorry.

When I first started playing 40k back in 2nd ed. my buddy played Eldar and I thought Karandras was about the coolest cat on the block.

Honsou is a great character. Graham McNeil is very hit or miss when developing characters. I love the Ultramarine series, but Uriel is sort of bland and characterless. However, the other characters that populate the world can be very vibrant and full of personality. But Honsou as a main character is quite personable and a little mysterious. I think his actions epitomize Chaos and Graham really captured the sort of cavalier attitude I associate with a renegade marine.

Also because I'm a Tzeentch fan boy I'm going to second Ahriman. He'll find his library card one of these days.

robertsjf
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Tycho:
It's the nipples.

The Imperator
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Ciaphas Cain because his entire life is completely backwards in the 40k universe. Cowardly commisar, levelheaded inquisitor who he has sexual relations with, a commisar that everyone loves!

he stopped a WAAAHHHGHGGG by blowing up a dam for Emporer's sake!

Commisar Chris
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Ravenor the inquisitor by far. His Psykic abilities and his near rogue attitude make him a super bad ***. But if we're talking about named characters you can play, then that'd have to be Kharn because even though he's very inhuman he is majorly badass with his no fear, take no prisoners attitude. And he kills his own guys for not doing good enough for emperor's sake!

eldargal
05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Kharn the Khornate Kommissar.

Ravenor the inquisitor by far. His Psykic abilities and his near rogue attitude make him a super bad ***. But if we're talking about named characters you can play, then that'd have to be Kharn because even though he's very inhuman he is majorly badass with his no fear, take no prisoners attitude. And he kills his own guys for not doing good enough for emperor's sake!

L192837465
05-13-2010, 08:00 AM
By far and large Cypher. I love the idea he's carrying the broken (or re-forged) Lion Sword to Terra to kill the Emperor so he can be reborn.

Totally awesome.

kiwitexansfan
05-13-2010, 10:01 AM
By far and large Cypher. I love the idea he's carrying the broken (or re-forged) Lion Sword to Terra to kill the Emperor so he can be reborn.

Totally awesome.

Allegedly.

He could be going to Terra to pick up a packet of cigarettes from the corner dairy.

Or return a long overdue library book.

kiwitexansfan
05-13-2010, 10:03 AM
My Favourite named character has to be Nork Deddog.

The guy is hilarious, love me some Ogryn.

Commisar Chris
05-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Kharn the Khornate Kommissar.

Oh emperor above, I would sprain my ankle buying that model!

Kharn+Kitteh
05-16-2010, 05:06 PM
best character ever has to be olimus prime, he was pretty much a regular guardsman except that he stOOD FACE TO FACE WITH HORUS AND LOOKED DEEP INTO HIS EYES AS HORUS STRUCK HIM DOWN, WHICH LED TO THE EMPEROR REALIZING ALL THE HUMANITY HAD LEFT HORUS AND HE WAS ABLE TO STRIKE HIM DOWN, but then gw decided to make it less BA and so they replaced him with the least bad*** primarch in the lore, sanguinus, freakin sanguinuns, making the entire moment less awesome. thanks alot GW.

PS> THANKS ELDAR GIRL, YOU ARE RIGHT I AM AWESOME, YEAH
*Kharn hi fives a nearby guardsman shattering all the bones in his arm*

Dellamorte
12-09-2010, 01:18 PM
For number of sheer literary alusions: Lelith Hesperax, best name ever.

w7west
12-09-2010, 02:15 PM
The decapitator. Basically he is golem but instead of rings he is all about skulls. Plus he has a cave filled with thousands of skulls all staring exactly at one fixed point.

Kind of makes Kharne look like a noob.

Captain Max
12-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Captain Tycho, mainly for that story that was posted earlier in this thread.

archimbald
12-30-2010, 04:10 PM
thypus, just cause or the vindicare in Nemisis

archimbald
12-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Totally awesome.

by damnit yes he is:eek:

Grailkeeper
12-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Yarrick.

He best sums up 40k- He's an absolute hero but has grimdark in spades. He's a definite goodie but has the darkness and everything that makes 40k special. He hits nearly all of the 40k architypes you can think of and has a cracking model to boot.

Cypher is pretty good too.

Connjurus
12-30-2010, 07:48 PM
In no particular order:

Ahriman: Super tragic figure, he's always been my favorite Chaos Space Marine special character (even though I wish his rules reflected his incredible psychic prowess). Plus, I like how hungry he is - not for power, or for fame or glory, but for knowledge. I can identify with that.

Caiphas Cain: It's been said a few times already, but Cain is the ultimate cowardly badass...even though I don't think he's anywhere near as cowardly as he makes himself out to be. ;)

Tzeentch: So what if you can't play him? He's the most awesome Chaos God, because if he ever gets put back together, the universe will end. Fun!

miteyheroes
12-31-2010, 05:08 AM
Cain is by far the most entertaining;
Yarrick is bad-*** and awesome-sauce and hard-core (for a human);
Ahriman is such a tragic figure;
Kharn is a bit of a nutter;
but Angron? Angron is just the dude. Angron all the way. He's just SO tragic, and SO hardcore, and SO over the top.

He was made to be the ultimate killing machine, then sent to a world where his brain was altered to make him even more of a rage-fuelled massacring beast and he was forced to fight as a gladiator for the entertainment of cruel and distant rulers. He successfully organised a revolt of the gladiators and fought off numerous attempts to crush the revolt. He then led his forces in one last great battle, knowing that they were outnumbered and would die, but that they'd die together... Except he was teleported out by the Emperor, who offered him a job and life. Which he scorned, opting to go back to the battle. Only to be teleported out again, leaving all his men to die. The loss of his men, without him there to lead them, entirely blasted away what remained of his sanity and he spent the next ten thousand years in a deep rage, killing anything that crossed his path.

Oh, Angron.

shrike
12-31-2010, 06:25 AM
hmm...my favorite named character fluffwise....hmm...:rolleyes:

Daemonette666
01-01-2011, 04:16 AM
For me it is between Lucius the Eternal and Fabius Bile.

Lucius because of how he turned traitor on his fellow marines in the caverns of Istvaan V, and the fact that even if you kill him, you become him if you gloat about it (how human we are), and everyone gloats or feels pride about killing Lucius.

Fabius because he cloned himself so many times, and now you do not know if you are fighting him or on of his clones. That and he set up base on a Tyranid held world, while holding scores of loyalist Space Marines captive over the decades, and broke most of them before a Blood Angel killed him, or was that one of his clones who was killed? Also Fabius master minded the scheme to steal the the blood of Sanguinus, and trick them into creating monstrous chaotic versions of Black Rage Blood Angels that almost spelled the end for the Chapter.

Connjurus
01-01-2011, 04:36 AM
For me it is between Lucius the Eternal and Fabius Bile.

Lucius because of how he turned traitor on his fellow marines in the caverns of Istvaan V, and the fact that even if you kill him, you become him if you gloat about it (how human we are), and everyone gloats or feels pride about killing Lucius.

I'm willing to bet that Abaddon wouldn't gloat...just feel disgust. Same with Kharn. And Ahriman is too busy to gloat...but Typhus would totally gloat.

Rain
01-01-2011, 02:15 PM
You don't have to gloat, just feel any satisfaction over having killed him, which any Chaos champion would feel. The more pertinent issue is that it's Slaanesh that reincarnates Lucius, and as he is the weakest god, if any of the favored Champions of the other gods killed him, they could just tell Slaanesh to get the hell off their lawn.

Anyway, my favorite character is probably Perturabo, he got a raw deal and hates pretty much everyone because of it, my kind of guy.

shrike
01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Primarchs? Corax FTW. He is a SM ninja, nearly killed Lorgar (easily), before Konrad arrived and broke it up.
Korvdae because he isn't as attention-seeking as shrike, and simply does his duty.
Lysander because he isn't cheesey or mary-sue, he is just a bad***.
Yarrick for the same reason.

Rain
01-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Lysander because he isn't cheesey or mary-sue, he is just a bad***.

Are you serious? He is one of the biggest Mary-Sues in all 40k. He is a super duper bolter trained guy that takes down titans with a hammer, was captured for years by his arch enemies, escaped, remained completely pure, was made honorary first captain, blew up the planet that had him imprisoned etc. The only part that's missing is that Hermione doesn't have a crush on him (as far as we know).

shrike
01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
nah, there are way more cheesey SC's:
mephiston, lord of cheese
ghazghkull Marg Aret Thatcher
marneus "I packed my own lunchbox" Calgar
Abbadon

Connjurus
01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Dude, how can you call Ghazkgull cheesy? He's freaking awesome.

shrike
01-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Lysander's awesome, and yet he's "cheesey".
I think we can all agree on this:
Mephiston.;)

sangrail777
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Commander Dante of the Blood Angels
For his age and wisdom, the things he must have seen and dealt with to be a servent of the Emporor for so long, not to mention a Chapter Master.

Pendragon38
01-03-2011, 01:26 AM
The Nids OLD ONE EYE. its still kicking on that Ice planet that the IG found it at pissed and running amuck:eek:

shrike
01-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Commander Dante of the Blood Angels
For his age and wisdom, the things he must have seen and dealt with to be a servent of the Emporor for so long, not to mention a Chapter Master.

And yet, although he is the oldest non-dreadnought SM, he hasn't got eternal warrior.:D

The Madman
01-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Doomrider, he has little to no fluff (other then an extract) but it still sounds awesome.
Creed, just a short tubby hardarse that barely blinks in the face of such odds. also hes a tactical genius.
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/6/22/39295_md-Creed,%20Tactical%20Genius.jpg
commissar fuklaw if we're counting unofficial characters.

Smotku
01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Madman that is an awesomly epic picture.

I like the story behind Mephiston.

Yarrick has his own theme song ...Tubthumping

But i got go with Wazdakka Gutzmek....yeah I know Lysander kills titans on his own but Wazdakka does it with style he is just totally over the top. I have loved his story since 2nd edition. He is the epitome of orkdom

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Sister Miriya.
She is shamed, and goes to hell and back to reclaim some homour, loses her best friend who becomes Repentia, and the then most of her squad tracking a master-mind Psyker bent on revenge and a item made by the Emporer himself.

Cant wait for the next instalment in the upcoming book

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Mephiston, you mean Edward??

Just had a battle of Apoc against him, had my enemy in stitches every time he tried to call him Mephiston, i called him Edward, in the end he started to call him that too. lol

wittdooley
01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Sister Miriya.
She is shamed, and goes to hell and back to reclaim some homour, loses her best friend who becomes Repentia, and the then most of her squad tracking a master-mind Psyker bent on revenge and a item made by the Emporer himself.

Cant wait for the next instalment in the upcoming book

Hell yeah. I raelly hope Swallow expands on the characters a great deal more. I think there is going to be an audiobook too.

Daemonette666
01-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Old Zogwot. Because he caused my Daemon Lord Zarakynel to turn into a Squig, and I could not do a thing to stop him. One failed dice roll and Poooff your a squig.

Lorgar because of the irony behind his history in the game. He fealt betrayed by his father berating him for worshipping the emperor like a god. He then turned Horus and 5 of his other brothers against their father the emperor. It all ended up with the imperium treating the emperor as a god, and the Word Bearers scorning the emperor as just a gifted human. Sounds like a character shakespeare would have written about. LOL

doom-kitten
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
You know what just because no one else has said this yet I'm gonna say the Emperor because honestly who is more badass then him an entire galazy of crazy zenos and ****ed up peeps want to tear him limb from limb and they have not succeeded yet.

Drew da Destroya
02-14-2011, 01:27 PM
You know what just because no one else has said this yet I'm gonna say the Emperor because honestly who is more badass then him an entire galazy of crazy zenos and ****ed up peeps want to tear him limb from limb and they have not succeeded yet.

Plus, he's not a *****.

Hurons_Champion
09-15-2012, 04:21 AM
Logan Grimmnar, who doesn't like a 700 year old space marine with an axe, and an attitude? Also he has sweet table top rules.

My second choice is Lugft Huron, he's the ultimate strategist and absolute Demon in combat

Tynskel
09-16-2012, 09:26 AM
If you are gunna name a character with an Axe and an Attitude, then it is all about...

Dante

Plus he's one of the most quotable character's in the game!

"For eleven hundred years I have fought and I have seen the vileness of the alien. I have seen the heresy of the mutant. I have witnessed the sin of Possession. I have seen all the evil that the galaxy harbours and I have slain all whose presence defiles the Emperor. I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight and I have slain what you must slay.

Our enemies number untold billions and they will fight you with tooth and claw, with starships and guns, with vile sorceries and corrupt illusions. They are armed with all the strength that evil can muster. But, you, brothers, have something more.

You are armoured by the Emperor himself. Righteousness is your shield, Faith your armor and Hatred your weapon. So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the Protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death."

Iyandagar
09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Too many.... Loken, Garro, Miriya, Eldrad... And many more besides....

Deadlift
09-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Bjorn the Fell handed.

Especially after reading "Battle of the Fang"

An ancient warrior who fought beside Russ who now resides inside a Dreadnought. Awoken in times of need to battle the Wolves foes.

His battle against the Daemon prince Magnus is epic

Anggul
09-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Bjorn the Fell handed.

An ancient warrior who fought beside Russ who now resides inside a Dreadnought. Awoken in times of need to battle the Wolves foes.

How in the hell did a Dreadnought last five seconds against a Daemon Primarch? Or is it just another prince called Magnus?

(Also, sweet threadromancy Konrad Kurze!)

Iyandagar
09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Good shout on Bjorn. Add him to my list.

Deadlift
09-16-2012, 03:06 PM
How in the hell did a Dreadnought last five seconds against a Daemon Primarch? Or is it just another prince called Magnus?
(Also, sweet threadromancy Konrad Kurze!)
Read the book. It's awesome :) and yes it was Magnus the Red. The one and the same. Bjorn is not just any old dreadnought. He is the Fell Handed.

Kirsten
09-16-2012, 04:18 PM
probably Kharn for me, he is just awesome, there is a purity about just having to kill every last damn thing, he is like a personal exterminatus, or judge death. I love the story of him when he fights the slaanesh followers and the daemon throne thing, and the extract where the chaos troops in a building totally flip out and panic when he approaches. He may not be the most powerful rules wise, but I bet nobody else has ever come remotely close to killing as many people as kharn has, probably even if you include inquisitors and exterminatus :P

Iyandagar
09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
...ok add Kharn too.

Iyandagar
09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Actually top of te list is Fulgrim. Not because he took down an Avatar with his bare hands,but because he held conversations with a picture made of blood and poop. That takes skill....

Hunter
09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
am suprized nobody mentioned Lukas the Trickster of the space wolves , the guy a bloddy loony and i love him for it.

FireHazard
09-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Bjorn the Fell handed.

Bjorn is also brilliantly depicted in The Emperor's Gift. A dreadnought with a sense of humour and a bionic eye for the ladies. Even Grimnar does as he's told!

Wolfshade
09-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Dante, the golden

I mean aside from him being a beast (not literally, Jump Infantry) but his story being a chapter master for 1,100 years, which probably puts him at least 200 years older than that, still around because he has a destiny, he believes that he will defend the emporer at the infinity gate.
Then you have great things like he is the chapter masters chapter master, at the battle for armageddon ][ (the redeadnening), despite their being other masters and tells them what to do.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Me gusta Kharn the Betrayer. :D

The Madman
09-26-2012, 05:11 AM
I like Cypher's story just because he's mysterious. is he a redeemer or destroyer? does he fight for the emperor or against him? how does he keep his robes so brilliantly white? only he knows. also the whole gun slinger fight style he has gives some opportunities for some awesome rules in 6th edition.

spaceman91
09-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Ragner Blackmane mainly because he is mental and i did love the books and i like using him in my SW army. You should see the trouble he starts with a unit of blood claws with him.

spaceman91
09-26-2012, 05:14 AM
how does he keep his robes so brilliantly white?

Daz You must of seen the adverts.

Durendin
09-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Ollanius Pius, the guy who allowed the Emperor to make his "look out sir!" save (against Horus in the bunker on Terra if you're down with the old school fluff).

Now that this prehistoric fluff has been resurrected I'm interested to see where it's going!